Where Modern TV Series Have Jumped The Shark

Cassandra

On 10/14/2019 at 8:12 AM, Tjack said:

This thread seems to have drifted off the stated topic.  “Jumping the Shark” generally means a particular point in a long running series where you can point to and say “this is where the trouble started”.  Like the shark jump on Happy Days or the birth of the character Meath that Jonathon Winters played on Mork & Mindy etc.
   Here we seem to be complaining about stuff in the first season of a show we personally didn’t happen to like.

Seems being the operative word. In my original post (written after season 2) on Arrow i didn’t complain about Arrow, nor do I dislike it. I recounted the events in a cynical & derisive manner. To this, Pattern Ghost queried a metaphor to which I explained my meaning

At the end of season one, it is a small wonder that Ollie isn’t in lifetime psychiatric counselling for PTSD. 

It was in season two I said Arrow jumped the shark. I have since season 2, gone on to watch up to season 6 of Arrow. Overall I like the characters (Thea, Sara & Nyssa al Ghul being favs) but continues to be letdown by bad writing.

Buck Rogers started out as kinda campy but pretty good for the sci fi at the time, then they had the writer's strike and apparently the producers had their 8 year old nephew write the show or (as I strongly suspect) dusted off some crappy old show they never made but had scripts for) and it went truly awful with bird guy and Buck flying around space exploring strange new worlds.

23 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

Battlestar Galactica (new series)

It jumped hard and far when Starbuck came back. Although it started lagging from... Whenever it was the Cylons showed up on and took over the new colony. Start of season 3?

Then crashed and burned when it turned out EVERY MAJOR CHARACTER NOT NAMED ADAMA WAS ONE OF THE ORIGINAL 9, or so it seemed.

5 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Buck Rogers started out as kinda campy but pretty good for the sci fi at the time, then they had the writer's strike and apparently the producers had their 8 year old nephew write the show or (as I strongly suspect) dusted off some crappy old show they never made but had scripts for) and it went truly awful with bird guy and Buck flying around space exploring strange new worlds.

Gil Gerard agrees. He wanted Buck to stay on Earth.

Friends went on 3 or 4 seasons too long. I can't name a specific shark-jumping moment, but by the end most of the characters had become caricatures of themselves. Monica's OCD became her defining characteristic. Rachel had some character development but was still basically ditzy eye candy. Ross became even more inept, insecure, and stereotypically nerdy. And Joey was, at times, simply too dumb to live. It's really telling that by the end, the two characters closest to functional human beings were Chandler and Phoebe.

14 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah. While the character Hawk was okay with me, the second season got so much wrong. Erin Grey almost got fired, and apparently Gil Gerard fought for her to stay on....but they made her less a bad ass colonel and more an airline stewardess at times. Even hormonal teenage me knew THAT was wrong.

But they got rid of Mel Blanc? Are they insane? you just fired half the characters of Hollywood! 

Not that I thought Star Trek: Voyager was ever a great show, but it went downhill quickly after Robert Beltran decided he didn't like the show and rather than quit, decided to keep collecting paychecks while phoning it in every week. And while the addition of Seven of Nine was an improvement over Kes (not a high bar to clear, mind you), it was clearly driven by sex appeal and felt like a shark-jumping move at the time. Probably saved the series (to whatever extent possible), though.

5 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Not that I thought Star Trek: Voyager was ever a great show, but it went downhill quickly after Robert Beltran decided he didn't like the show and rather than quit, decided to keep collecting paychecks while phoning it in every week. And while the addition of Seven of Nine was an improvement over Kes (not a high bar to clear, mind you), it was clearly driven by sex appeal and felt like a shark-jumping move at the time. Probably saved the series (to whatever extent possible), though.

Oh she filled out a uniform nicely, but I have to say once you got past the va va voom angle... I rather liked the character of Seven of Nine and thought she brought a good outsider perspective to somethings. Grew into an increasingly deep character. MY problems with her?

It pretty much regulated Torres to the backdrop in engineering

the 'where did that come from and why?' romance with Chokatay

31 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Oh she filled out a uniform nicely, but I have to say once you got past the va va voom angle... I rather liked the character of Seven of Nine and thought she brought a good outsider perspective to somethings. Grew into an increasingly deep character. MY problems with her?

It pretty much regulated Torres to the backdrop in engineering

the 'where did that come from and why?' romance with Chokatay

I think the low point was when Tom Paris went Warp 10 which for some reason turned him and Janeway into lizards.  Lizards!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Cassandra said:

I think the low point was when Tom Paris went Warp 10 which for some reason turned him and Janeway into lizards.  Lizards!!!!!!!

And then they mated and left little off spring which they then deserted...

The Audience was like "Well, that's not disturbing at all!"

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Well, in fairness to Beltran, his character was basically delegated to 2nd class citizen due to the increasingly "Girl Power" modus operandi of the show. He started as 2nd in command, badass leader of a rebel ship and ended up being the person whose ideas are forgotten. It was a role reversal, which was the intent I believe, but I think he thought they would do more to celebrate his being American Indian. Heck, he even became a secondary character to a hologram doctor.

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

And then they mated and left little off spring which they then deserted...

The Audience was like "Well, that's not disturbing at all!"

At least Jonathan Frakes got to make out with the actual actresses like Gates McFadden, and Michelle Forbes.

Law and Order: SVU

The loss of Elliot Stabler.

He was the series hothead, but was a good balance to Olivia Benson's more compassionate outlook on the squad.  Elliot was written out of the show because he had one too many shootings, and because the actor was getting too expensive for the show.

The problem isn't that the character left.  It's that the replacement detectives that came later were all so weak characters that they were simply walking emotions and bad decisions then actually human beings.  And the fact it took Olivia so long to make Captain is an insult.

Space: Above and Beyond

In the second to last episode the squad lands on a moon of the alien home world to set up sensors for the planned invasion.  They encounter an alien tending to eggs, and some  Chig (the nickname for the aliens Earth is at war with) Soldiers. 

So after killing the soldiers the squad thinks that the alien was being threatened by the Chigs, and is part of an innocent species. 

Not that he was actually one of the Chigs, who you would expect to be on the moon of the Alien Home World.

This "Star Trek: TNG" assumption was the single dumbest idea since they made Steppenwolf the main villain of the Justice League movie.

8 hours ago, Pariah said:

Friends went on 3 or 4 seasons too long.

I thought it jumped the shark at the end of season 1 when the most talented actor / interesting character left the show.

enhanced-buzz-29077-1424437094-44.jpg

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

The hologram doctor was the only good character on the show, and he wasn't even real.

YES HE WAS! 😭 😭 😭

On 10/14/2019 at 10:21 AM, death tribble said:

Congress brought in a law specifically against the Pinkertons so killing them is not a problem for Law Enforcement Officials

You should tell that to the armed Pinkertons we had in our building a few months ago. Modern Pinketons are simply a contract guard agency. I wasn't talking about Old West Pinkertons.

19 hours ago, mattingly said:

I thought it jumped the shark at the end of season 1 when the most talented actor / interesting character left the show.

Reveal hidden contents

enhanced-buzz-29077-1424437094-44.jpg

YES HE WAS! 😭 😭 😭

I thought David Schwimmer was on until the end.