Coronavirus

Steve

8 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

What I've heard is that having had COVID-19 provides no immunity to it, and may even make it more likely that the victim will be re-infected.

8 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I've heard the same, but cannot confirm.  Also rumored that if it doesn't kill you the first time, it will kill you the second time.

That makes no sense biologically.  So, there is a widespread feature of coronaviruses that immunity gained is not retained (simply because the virus changes its antigens reasonably quickly).

As for killing you the second time, if you have had a bad case that leaves your lungs damaged then ANY subsequent respiratory disease is more likely to kill you.

Doc

55 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Yeah, that follows Trump's usual decision making process: (1) Make an impulsive public announcement without thinking through the consequences; (2) Hear someone telling him the consequences he should have considered first; (3) Announce that he's changed his mind.

(4) Deny that he ever made the original announcement and claim, to the adulation of his fanboys, that he was on top of the situation all along. 

...and we got an e-mail from the District this evening asking all teachers to make sure we have an online presence.

This is huge. In the eleven years I've worked for this district, we have had exactly one school closure day due to snow. Even when we had a huge storm in February and every other district in the valley closed for the day, we just implemented a shortened school day with a two hour delay for the start of classes.

Why? Because there are schools in my district that have 70-80% of their students in federal free and reduced school lunch programs. If schools are closed, a lot of kids are going miss out on the only decent meals they might get that day.

So we stay open, even when every other district closes.

To even contemplate suspending classes has enormous implications.

10 minutes ago, Pariah said:

...and we got an e-mail from the District this evening asking all teachers to make sure we have an online presence.

This is huge. In the eleven years I've worked for this district, we have had exactly one school closure day due to snow. Even when we had a huge storm in February and every other district in the valley closed for the day, we just implemented a shortened school day with a two hour delay for the start of classes.

Why? Because there are schools in my district that have 70-80% of their students in federal free and reduced school lunch programs. If schools are closed, a lot of kids are going miss out on the only decent meals they might get that day.

So we stay open, even when every other district closes.

To even contemplate suspending classes has enormous implications.

There's also the MASSIVE daycare issue that comes from school being out for younger children.

Which does kill people who have vulnerabilities that compromise their immune systems.

I mentioned sports. Well, Major League Soccer is suspending their season for 30 days after only two matchdays, This may affect the home schedule for the Portland Timbers, who are almost a religion for many in Portland.

On m way to work yesterday, I thought I was coming down with something, but when I got to work I was just fine. One of our tax preparers had something similar happen. In retrospect, I'm concerned.

I do NOT expect the NCAA basketball tournament to be played, at least at this time.  It might be possible to postpone it for a few weeks to start with, but I have no confidence it will start next week.

And

BOOM

The next BIG SHOE just dropped.  MLB has suspended spring training.  I expected this;  with teams often clustered fairly close to each other, you have to feel that the risk was exceptionally high, that multiple teams could be affected.  But this will inevitably force the season start to be delayed.  

NHL just suspended their season.  Which makes it all the big sports.

Emmert will have no choice.  Been watching ESPN all morning...players were VERY concerned.  And you've got schools shutting down classes, suspending activities...there are too many pressures to shut it down.

EDIT:  Duke University has completely shut down ALL athletic activities, including practice and travel.  And yes, they said this does include playing in the NCAA tournament.  They won't go.  Kansas and Arizona State have suspended activities, but the additional "no, we won't play" wasn't mentioned.  Yet.  EDIT 2:  yes, just saw Kansas is suspending competition as well.  That's, what, a #1 and a #2 seed saying, no, we will not participate.

BTW, most probably know the World Health Organization declared a pandemic.  I don't think a lot of people really understood what that meant;  it's just a word.  

But...this was part of it.

The announcement came after the World Health Organization declared the virus a pandemic, saying the number of affected countries tripled in two weeks, with more than 118,000 cases and 4,290 deaths worldwide.

It's that number of countries that's such a concern.  It's NOT isolated to Wuhan, to Italy;  it is showing up everywhere.  It's in 44 states;  3 just popped up in New Mexico.  So, you can't just say "don't go here"...the risk is spreading.  And that's why large gatherings are such a bad idea;  one case can explode into dozens of cases, and by the time it's recognized...who knows how many more.

...and we had an emergency meeting at lunch today. We've been advised to start thinking about how we might implement distance learning methods individually and as departments.

My children's school district is going to optional attendance starting tomorrow morning.

The Governor is giving a press conference right now. I haven't seen any of it yet because I've been in class, so we'll see what happens.

15 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

It's that number of countries that's such a concern.  It's NOT isolated to Wuhan, to Italy;  it is showing up everywhere.  It's in 44 states;  3 just popped up in New Mexico.  So, you can't just say "don't go here"...the risk is spreading.  And that's why large gatherings are such a bad idea;  one case can explode into dozens of cases, and by the time it's recognized...who knows how many more.

...and you have to mitigate massive spikes in cases, otherwise healthcare facilities and workers get overloaded or you have medication shortages in certain areas.

The university where I am both a Master's student and an employee for the high school outreach program has just announced that it is going completely online for the remainder of spring semester (until April 30th).

The outreach program is a supplemental lab course for AP Chemistry, so I'm not sure exactly how that's going to work. We'll see.

So I'm back from my trip to Chattanooga by way of O'Hare airport. I could write up a couple paragraphs of what I saw from the laughable over reactions to the downright "This is all a hoax" comments. I am happy to report that at the time of this posting, I have no flu like symptoms. I will be going to LA next week to a hospital, so I'll once again be venturing right into the mouth of the lion.

Meanwhile, we have hospitals all over the country cancelling our onsite engagements and asking that all work be done remotely, which thankfully is a piece of cake for most of our implementations.

Also, my company like others are offering free temporary use of our software to allow for remote work. I've seen a handful of other companies doing the same.

There are definitely overreactions.  In my local Nextdoor group, someone posted that she was in Sam's Club, and people were buying up multiple cases of water, and they'd pretty much sold out of TP.  We have no cases at this time;  it's one small advantage of being somewhat isolated and rural.