Coronavirus

Steve

I just don't get the bottled water thing at all. Do people think their taps will suddenly stop working because of the coronavirus?

Toilet paper at least makes some sense, as you wouldn't want to be quarantined at home and run out. However, the half ton of old magazines and gaming papers I should have thrown out long ago reassure me that I can weather the crisis if need be.

20 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

As I recall this announcement hit the news about two hours after the NHL suspending its season.

A bit of Sherlock Holmes is in order.  From Silver Blaze:

Holmes: To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time.
Gregory: The dog did nothing in the night-time.
Holmes: That was the curious incident.

Gregory is Inspector Gregory of Scotland Yard.

Here...it's North Korea and the number of coronavirus cases reported.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

A bit of Sherlock Holmes is in order.  From Silver Blaze:

Holmes: To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time.
Gregory: The dog did nothing in the night-time.
Holmes: That was the curious incident.

Gregory is Inspector Gregory of Scotland Yard.

Here...it's North Korea and the number of coronavirus cases reported.

The magic word in that sentence is “reported”.   If North Korea was a smoking crater from which the Anti-Christ and Cuthullu rose and did the Lambada (The forbidden dance of love) their national news would report “the nation celebrates our Great Leader with festive celebration.”

15 hours ago, Badger said:

Have to disagree on pork (I actually ate pork chops for supper tonight).

Edit:  Also proof my area is really panicking, only one Dasani pack was left last night.  :jawdrop:

(personally I don't understand bottled water, I drink flavored waters-mostly what I drink actually, but straight-up water, I just don't care much for if there is an option)

Wow, perhaps your area is just nuts, Badger.

My area needs bottled water.  The tap water tastes bad, and frankly is untrustworthy.  When people were going out and testing water after Flint, Phoenix was one of the areas highlighted as having issues.

I can't eat much beef and should be limiting pork as well, but I'm not sure I can survive without pork kielbasa.

From my HOA.

Stanford Notes on Coronavirus

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can you know if you are infected? By the time you have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% fibrosis. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning: Take a deep breath and hold it for more than 10 seconds. If you do this successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, there is no fibrosis in the lungs; it basically indicates no infection.

In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and then the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS: 1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold. 2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose. 3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees C. (About 77 degrees F.) It hates the Sun. 4. If someone sneezes with it, it goes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne. 5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface, wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap. 6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it. 7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice. 8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on. 9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice. 10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS: 1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further. 3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing. 4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

From the city of Santa Rosa:

Today's news alert is to make sure you know that resources are available at srcity.org/PreventTheSpread for preventing the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), a respiratory disease. Here you will find the latest updates and links to trusted sources, such as Sonoma County Department of Health Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The City of Santa Rosa is in close coordination with Sonoma County Health Services who is monitoring and coordinating with the California Department of Public Health regarding coronavirus. Currently, the health risk to the general public remains low. Sonoma County Health Services is recommending precautions for older adults and people with serious and chronic medical conditions to reduce their risk.

Santa Rosa, CA – Today, the City of Santa Rosa announced postponement of some City-organized public meetings and events to prevent the potential spread of the coronavirus and to safeguard those at highest risk for getting very sick from this illness . The decision follows recommendations from the Sonoma County Health Officer this afternoon (March 11) to reduce the risk to adults over the age of 60 and people with serious and chronic health conditions

Santa Rosa is postponing the following City organized community events and meetings to safeguard residents at higher risk for getting very sick with the coronavirus.

Postponed City Organized Events & Meetings 

• City Council Goal Setting(Santa Rosa City Council – Executive Team Sessions), March 12-13, 2020, Utility Field Operations Center  
    Postponed to April 13 and 14, 2020 at Finley Community Center, 2060 W. College Ave.

• Patrick’s Day Lunch, Friday, March 13, Person Senior Wing
    Postponed; a senior lunch will be rescheduled (date to be determined) at the Person Senior Wing, 2060 W. College Ave 
  • Senior Expo, April 4, Person Senior Wing
    Postponed to July 11, 2020 at the Person Senior Wing, 2060 W. College Ave 

3 hours ago, Tjack said:

The magic word in that sentence is “reported”.   If North Korea was a smoking crater from which the Anti-Christ and Cuthullu rose and did the Lambada (The forbidden dance of love) their national news would report “the nation celebrates our Great Leader with festive celebration.”

If you can get footage of that, I am sure we could find a viewership.

1 hour ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Wow, perhaps your area is just nuts, Badger.

My area needs bottled water.  The tap water tastes bad, and frankly is untrustworthy.  When people were going out and testing water after Flint, Phoenix was one of the areas highlighted as having issues.

I can't eat much beef and should be limiting pork as well, but I'm not sure I can survive without pork kielbasa.

I have said that about my area before.

My mother drinks tap water (after boiling).  Much of my immediate area was on well water till the late 90s.

38 minutes ago, Badger said:

If you can get footage of that, I am sure we could find a viewership.

3 hours ago, Tjack said:

You have to ask FOX News for that.  They handle all Cuthullu’s press releases.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I have said that about my area before.

My mother drinks tap water (after boiling).  Much of my immediate area was on well water till the late 90s.

Unfortunately well water is often contaminated too, and IIRC the map was showing contamination plumes that do not correspond to infrastructure piping.  The areas they were checking were for ground water, IIRC, as well as tap water.  Tap water as the sole culprit is usually only an issue if the pipes are degrading or additives are a problem, like in Flint.  The checks were spurred on by Flint, but included others. 

Then again, who knows how accurate my memory actually is.