List 5 people

That's hard.  I tend not to think about or categorize people merely via their fame, especially in the popular-media sense of fame.  I also feel like I should omit personal friends and professional colleagues who happen to have some fame (e.g., two astronomers who are also astronauts).

I'm willing to believe you've been to Garfield's tomb.  As nothing more than a wild guess, I'll guess Jordan is the untruth.

1. Dan Doornink
  2. Stephen Weinberg
  3. Hans Bethe
  4. Paul Allen
  5. Warren Moon

The question is: how many of those 5 are individuals whom people are going to have to look up.  My guess is 4 of them.

7 minutes ago, Cancer said:

I'm willing to believe you've been to Garfield's tomb.  As nothing more than a wild guess, I'll guess Jordan is the untruth.

1. Dan Doornink
  2. Stephen Weinberg
  3. Hans Bethe
  4. Paul Allen
  5. Warren Moon

The question is: how many of those 5 are individuals whom people are going to have to look up.  My guess is 4 of them.

I passed by Michael Jordan in St Thomas while visiting on a cruise in 1995.

I've heard of Paul Allen and Warren Moon, I'll guess Hans Bethe just because.

Believe it or not, Old Man is incorrect.  I was an undergrad at Washington when the Huskies with Moon at QB won the Rose Bowl.  He wasn't on my dorm floor, but he hung out with some other football players who were.

EDIT: The guy I was never in proximity to is Paul Allen.  Doornink was my father's doctor the last few years of his life, and I conversations (fairly long ones) with him twice.  Bethe was at a nuclear theory workshop that I also participated in, since I was interested in stellar nucleosynthesis.  Weinberg had a joint appointment both in Physics and Astronomy at Texas, and though he more or less never showed up in Astronomy-land, the department had a tradition of taking faculty members out for beer at intervals and one Friday afternoon about fifteen of us took Stephen Weinberg out for beer.  Interesting conversation; it took him a quarter hour to loosen up and figure out we weren't trying to attach ourselves to him, merely that we wanted to hear what felt like saying.

The middle three you can meet at a Sci-Fi convention. And the last name is a little too specific a category to impress the masses. So I’ll say Carl Sagan, he passed a while ago so the chances are diminished.

4 minutes ago, Old Man said:

You fool, I majored in physics.  The lie is Warren Moon.

My list:

1. Carl Sagan, astrophysicist

2. Grant Imahara, Mythbuster

3. Jon Heder, Napoleon Dynamite

4. Grace Park, Hawaii Five-O

5. Dale Chihuly, glassblowing artist

My list.

1) Leonard Nimoy

2) Stephen Wright

3) Bob Hope

4)Jay Leno

5) Harlan Ellison

Fair Warning!!!   This is a trick question.

4 minutes ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

1) John Landis, director

2) Akira Takarada, actor

3) Ultimate Warrior, wrestler

4) Don Frye, UFC fighter

5) Wiliam Shatner, actor

I’ll guess John Landis.

2 minutes ago, Tjack said:

My list.

1) Leonard Nimoy

2) Stephen Wright

3) Bob Hope

4)Jay Leno

5) Harlan Ellison

Fair Warning!!!   This is a trick question.

I’ll guess John Landis.

A logical guess, but I actually met John Landis a number of years ago. His son was a kaiju fan (as am I) and he was at a convention I was attending (as a participant...not a guest). We talked a bit about the stuff we had bought and kaiju films in general.

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

Christina Applegate is the lie.

Damn, that was too easy! 😂

As to the others, 

1. Lou Ferrigno stood behind me in line to get a muffin at GenCon. I decided not to go fanboy on him.
  2. Mclean Stevenson (Col. Henry Blake) I helped him pick out an RC car for his grandkid.
  3. Eddie Money I sold diapers. 
  4. Joe Staton (comic artist) I got to interview for a local magazine. 

30 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

For your sake, I really hope the lie is not Kathleen Turner.  :D

I'm going to guess Tyler Hoechlin, simply because I know who the other people are.   :lol:

Tyler Hoechlin is the guy who plays Superman in the current Superman & Lois TV series and he's very good.

the answer is Amy Acker

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

Clint Eastwood, damnit!

Nope.   Met him when he was directing a movie in Savannah.  Sorry.

Met Jim Henson completely by accident while taking a sponsored tour (won a contest) of Congress, on which I met Daniel Inouye. 

Met Neil Armstrong on that same trip-- after the sponsored tour, I _really_ wanted to see at least a tiny part of the Smithsonian.  Guess who happened to be there for some event?

Rupaul. I have never met Rupaul.

I'm guessing Reggie Miller, based on my highly refined and unerringly accurate  "Eenie Meanie Miney Moe" algorithm.

EDIT TO ADD:  Though it might also be Steve Monroe when factoring in the "My Mother Told Me" variant.

My list:

• Walter Mondale (former VP and presidential candidate)
  • Nichelle Nichols (Uhura from Star Trek TOS)
  • Gene Rodenberry (Creator of Star Trek)
  • Kirk Gibson (former Detroit Tigers baseball player)
  • Marina Sirtis (Counselor Troi from Star Trek: TNG)

No to both. 

I met Ted Nugent back when I was working for an archery company. He was one of our spokespersons. Same with Yy Detmer.

Shawn Bradley spoke in an assembly at my school 8 or 10 years ago. I stand 191 cm, and he absolutely dwarfs me.

I almost ran over Donny Osmond in the stairwell of a parking garage. He is not nearly as tall as he looks.

The one I have never met is Karl Malone. Although I did meet Andre Kirilenko once.

Tough challenge, as I have spent most of my life in near isolation. But stretching my memory back to my old college days...

1) Ursula K. LeGuin

2) Larry Niven

3) Jerry Pournelle

4) J. Michael Straczynski

5) Benoit Mandelbrot (does the discoverer of fractals count as famous?)

I am quite sure I've never met anyone who'd be "famous" to the general public.

Dean Shomshak