Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

Remnants of a Legendary Typeface Have Been Rescued From the River Thames

The depths of the river Thames in London hold many unexpected stories, gleaned from the recovery of prehistoric tools, Roman pottery, medieval jewelry, and much more besides. Yet the tale of the lost (and since recovered) Doves typeface is surely one of the most peculiar.

A little over a century ago, the printer T.J. Cobden-Sanderson took it upon himself to surreptitiously dump every piece of this carefully honed metal letterpress type into the river. It was an act of retribution against his business partner, Emery Walker, whom he believed was attempting to swindle him.

The pair had conceived this idiosyncratic Arts and Crafts typeface when they founded the Doves Press in the London’s Hammersmith neighborhood, in 1900. They worked with draftsman Percy Tiffin and master punch-cutter Edward Prince to faithfully recall the Renaissance clarity of 15th-century Venetian fonts, designed by the revolutionary master typographer Nicolas Jensen.

With its extra-wide capital letters, diamond shaped punctuation and unique off-kilter dots on the letter “i,” Doves Type became the press’s hallmark, surpassing fussier typographic attempts by their friend and sometime collaborator, William Morris.

The letterforms only existed as a unique 16pt edition, meaning that when Cobden-Sanderson decided to “bequeath” every single piece of molded lead to the Thames, he effectively destroyed any prospect of the typeface ever being printed again. That might well have been the case, were it not for several individuals and a particularly tenacious graphic designer.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/article/2024/may/09/uk-toddler-has-hearing-restored-in-world-first-gene-therapy-trial

A British toddler has had her hearing restored after becoming the first person in the world to take part in a pioneering gene therapy trial, in a development that doctors say marks a new era in treating deafness.

Opal Sandy was born unable to hear anything due to auditory neuropathy, a condition that disrupts nerve impulses travelling from the inner ear to the brain and can be caused by a faulty gene.

But after receiving an infusion containing a working copy of the gene during groundbreaking surgery that took just 16 minutes, the 18-month-old can hear almost perfectly and enjoys playing with toy drums.

I can't see much of it anymore. Here's a livestream:

You can also use your phone or a camera to snap a photo if you can't see it with your eyes. The glow will be picked up. I set my phone camera to night mode.

Edited by tkdguy

Very impressive display here, considering I'm well inside a major metropolitan area (admittedly further north than most in North America); by far the greatest I have witnessed personally.  Once dark adapted I could see the colors and lots of structure, which changed on timescales of a minute or so.  I missed the other such storms in my lifetime mostly because of local terrestrial weather.  Would have been fun to get spectra, but I had nothing like a suitable instrument for that. 

It's enough for me to take the night of 10/11 May off my list of Days of Ill Omen (it was on that night in 1983 that my apartment burned).