RIP Kevin Conroy

Steve

The Joker cannot exist without Batman.  That's been established in The Dark Knight Returns, the Legends Of The Dark Knight story "Going Sane," and the "Emperor Joker" storyline from Superman.  If anything were to happen to Batman, it would be the end of the show for The Joker.  He'd take a final bow--the curtain would fall--and he'd become normal.  Or dead.  Or something else.

I'm not sure if Batman knows this--and if he ever figured it out, would he give up the cape and the cowl to shut down the mad clown?  Would that be enough?  Or would the clown find another reason to laugh?  The Show Must Go On, after all.

Rest You Well, Mr. Conroy.  Thank You for lending your talent to Batman.  Doggone it--this wasn't supposed to happen.

Kevin Conroy was Batman the way Jeremy Brett was Sherlock Holmes and Devid Suchetg was Hercule Poirot. They became so definitive that when I think of their roles, these are the images I see and the voices I hear.

And I can't help but imagine Kevin having the afterlife version of a cuip of tea with Mako and Tony Jay.