What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Episodes 3 and 4 of Inside No 9.

In the first you have a nervous woman waiting for a removal man and then when her husband appears the moving man stumbles upon two dead bodies plus an old man comes in and starts coughing up blood. The husband then tries to kill the moving man and his wife stabs him in the neck. She then turns to the moving man and says 'let me explain' The scene then resets to 10 minutes earlier. It is very good when you get the full story. I'll explain if anyone is interested.

In the second you see a couple whose marriage is failing. The husband is a wedding photographer and his wife appears to have had an affair which is putting a real dampener on things. It's only after about two thirds in that you discover something really dark which explains what is wrong.

In Order of Disappearance. A Norwegian film that starts when a man's son is murdered by a drug gang because they think he took a package from them. The man who is a snowblower driver then goes after the gang after his son's friend confesses his part. The gang leader thinks the Serbs (Albanians he keeps referring to them as) are responsible and starts a feud with the Serbs. A black comedy with Stellan Skarsgard. 

Inside No 9 episodes 5 and 6.

The first of these deals with seven people voting for the Best Actress for an award ceremony. The voters are an old actor, an old actress, a director, a writer, a newspaper critic, a member of the public and the chairman. After cutting the field from 8 to 4 they then debate what to do about the rest. There is a nice little twist in this one.

The second  deals with three council workers trying to clean up a house after the death of the previous owner and stumbling on something that grants wishes. This uses the g=fact that people are aware of the trope and try to avoid the inevitable. But it still happens.

Spiral all the way up to episode 12. It is only in the last episodes you understand what exactly is going on. The young police officer was killed because he tried to find a missing girl who was giving up her baby to a baby buying racket. She died as a result of the stitching done by a struck off doctor who the baby buying racket use. The corrupt police officers had called the head of the racket and asked him to sort it out but instead he killed their colleague. The proper police chase down the leads until they get to the racket which they only deduce when they question the doctor.

The bent cops get arrested and one of them coughs up enough info that the police can get them but not on the murder. One of the police team leaves as he believes his colleagues have crossed the line one too many times. This impacts their paperwork meaning they don't have an arrest warrant later.

The head corrupt cop commits suicide in front of his colleagues.

Judge Roban has to face an attempt by Josephine Karlsson to prove that he covered up the Prosecutor's liaison with a dead teenager and then the head judge puts him through a medical checkup and says he is unfit for work. He ends up trying to have the operation in order to return to work.

Karlsson herself is arrested for the attempted murder of her ex-boss who testifies against her.

Series 6 was really good. And the good news is that a new series is being made.  

Old Grey Whistle Test:b For One Night Only. This was a three hour retrospective of the show which was last broadcast 30 years ago.

The interviewed various people who had been on the show in its heyday like Peter Frampton, Joan Armatrading, Dave Stewart and Toyah Wilcox. They also had live performances from old and new bands. And they played out with a new band but they also had a live Bob Marley archive performance.

The Old Grey Whistle Test 70s Gold. This included Elton John, Captain Beefheart, Blondie and the Specials. Very good.

Synth Britannia. This looked at the rise of Synth music in the 70s and early 80s.

Followed by Synth Britannia at the BBC which showcased various synth bands performing on BBC programmes. These included New Order, The Human League, Depeche Mode, Ultravox, Pet Shop Boys and Heaven 17. Music I grew up with and loved.

Watched Justice League Action. Uses the Jim Lee designs but that's okay for the most part. Mr. Terrific is in the opening but isn't in the show. Space Cabby is in two set in space, naturally. Batman, like his Brave and Bold counterpart, is the guy to beat.

Favorite scenes: Earlier Batman ejected Green Arrow from the batmobile for being annoying. Athena is riding along on a mission in a later cartoon and being annoying. The camera focuses on Batman looking at the eject button for her seat before he decides not to dump her.

Plastic Man is happy that Brainiac upgrades his threat status from a 4.6 to an 87 and the declaration he will be the first to die. Plas is so happy he takes a selfie with the league and Brainiac in his jar.

CES  

I streamed the first few episodes of the 1964 American TV show My Living Doll. It’s really funny! Julie Newmar plays a robot designed by a government contractor for the space program. Through a series of mishaps, she ends up leaving the facility and living with a psychiatrist who works for the contractor, played by Bob Cummings. He has to keep her hidden until the guy who designed her comes back from a trip and can disassemble her to smuggle her back in.

The whole thing is quite well done for the time, and holds up well. There were several laugh-out-loud moments in each of the first three episodes. Newmar is fantastic in the role. 

It’s on Amazon Prime, BTW, if you want to check it out.

Just watched Thor: Ragnarok, and while it was very entertaining (although it had huge plot holes and Hela's background and power level made no sense) it didn't fit Thor.  It was a zany road comedy like Guardians of the Galaxy and that's not the mood of Thor at all.

Watched Justice League, which was not as good as it could have been largely due to the poor story and the budget problems (some CGI issues and inconsistencies) but it was better than I've read here and elsewhere and I enjoyed it pretty well.  Basically you had to ignore several pointless SJW references and the previous two Superman movies, and then it was pretty solid.

Objectively speaking, I can't really fault Marvel for changing the direction of MCU Thor for Ragnarok. Until this movie Thor's franchise was showing the lowest box-office returns of any of the Phase 1 characters. Hemsworth himself has said he was getting bored with the character because he'd had no growth since his first movie. Chris has shown himself to be a naturally talented comic actor, so the change takes advantage of that. GotG has set the tone for "MCU space" both visually and thematically, to the tune of mega-bucks; and Asgard technically was a part of that space. So the pragmatist in me agrees this change was probably smart on several levels.

Subjectively, though, I'm in total agreement with you. Thor has always been my favorite comic-book superhero, but that's Thor the god, not Thor the goof. I love his nobility, his majesty, his archaic, otherworldly manner. Because of that this movie seriously grated on me. The visuals and big fight set pieces were impressive, but I can't bring myself to call what I saw Thor.

The Battle of Britain was on twice over the weekend so I watched it. The film was censored but as I have seen so many times I know what is taken out. The word that means illegitimate child for example was taken out and that occurs multiple times. Also one shooting when a bomber gunner gets hit in the head and his goggles fill with blood. 

Caught the first two episodes of Season 3 of Hap and Leonard on the Sundance Channel.  FIne actors, great chemistry between the leads Michael Kenneth Williams and James Purefoy; this series is quite enjoyable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hap_and_Leonard_(TV_series)

EDIT: I just discovered that the author of the novels upon which this series is based, Joe R. Lansdale, also wrote Bubba Ho-tep, and he's written comics as well as episodes of B:TAS.  This dude is awesome.