CHAMPIONS VILLAINS Sneak Peek #1: The Triptych Cover!

Steve Long

It's kinda early to start with sneak peeks for the Champions Villains trilogy, but this is so cool that I just can't resist. Here's the mind-blowingly awesome cover by the Fraim Brothers!

As we've previously mentioned, the cover is a triptych. The left third will be for Volume 1 (Master Villains), the middle third for Volume 2 (Villain Teams), and the right third for Volume 3 (Solo Villains). You can tell which part is which since each part only features villains appearing in that book. Thus, when you lay all three books together on the table the covers form one continuous picture.

See if you can identify all the bad guys! ;)

Re: CHAMPIONS VILLAINS Sneak Peek #1: The Triptych Cover!

So far I can identify some of the bad guys but not all.

Both versions of Dr Destroyer, Mechanon, Fiacho, Cheshire Cat, Firewing, Foxbat, Grond, Mindslayer, Armadillo, Ankylosaur, Binder, Cateran, The Monster, Gigaton, The Empress of 1,000 dimensions, Ladybug, Black Anubis, Zig Zag, Black Harlequin, Black Paladin, Slug, Dark Seraph, Cobra, Black Diamond, Dr Lin Wu, Mentalla, Zorran the Artificer, Thunderbolt, Talisman, The Time travelling villain, The Brain (I recognise but need a book to ID)

to be continued

TW -- I definitely agree with you on Istvatha V'han. The interior illustration of her, by Storn Cook, shows her wearing different garb (she's an empress after all, she can afford lots of clothes!), but makes her look equally as impressive.

Very encouraging that Hero Games continues to be able to afford top-quality illustrators like Storn and the Fraims. :thumbup:

I hope that means a few more of the artistic stalwarts from the early 5E days will grace the new books. :bounce:

I really liked Andrew Cremeans(sp?) and Storn's stuff was consistently good....like his 5th ed take on Eurostar.

I think I see C.L.O.W.N. hiding in the background.

What? They hide real well.

Okay, so they're invisible. But they're there! You just need to have the right senses.

(I see Clown people)

Gravitar is once again classified as a master villain. Does she actually have a minion organization under her? My conception of her is that she finds managing inferiors tedious and is more a do-it-herself bully than a leader of others.

Gravitar is once again classified as a master villain. Does she actually have a minion organization under her? My conception of her is that she finds managing inferiors tedious and is more a do-it-herself bully than a leader of others.

No, she does not -- but having minions is not the mark of a master villain. There are many possible ways to qualify for master villain status. Some villains choose "lead an organization and try to take over the world," some choose "have enough power to single-handedly defeat superteams and try to take over the world," some choose other ways. Gravitar's gone for the "overwhelming power" route.

In a more dramatic sense, a master villain is a villain who can in some way consistently oppose your entire group of PCs, and whose plots tend to have far-reaching scope. Thus, Dr. Moreau and Franklin Stone both qualify, even though neither could stand up to even the weakest PC in physical combat.

No, she does not -- but having minions is not the mark of a master villain. There are many possible ways to qualify for master villain status. Some villains choose "lead an organization and try to take over the world," some choose "have enough power to single-handedly defeat superteams and try to take over the world," some choose other ways. Gravitar's gone for the "overwhelming power" route.

In a more dramatic sense, a master villain is a villain who can in some way consistently oppose your entire group of PCs, and whose plots tend to have far-reaching scope. Thus, Dr. Moreau and Franklin Stone both qualify, even though neither could stand up to even the weakest PC in physical combat.

And how boring would that first volume be if it simply consisted of a series of villains with the same overall motif wrapped in different special effects? I'm glad to see there will be variety within the volumes, as well as between them.

It's been easy to overlook that Gravitar has vast wealth, many influential social connections, and significant scientific expertise in addition to her great power. The only thing that's held her back in the minds of some CU denizens (and Champions gamers) ;) from being taken seriously as a world-class threat is her sometimes childish attitude and behavior. She started her career young but has had time to mature, and her last recorded attack against Washington suggests she's become more focussed.

I love it that the Champions Universe's analog to Magneto has a personality and mindset that owes more to Paris Hilton than Malcolm X.

Well, the 6E CU now has Kinematik, a renamed and upgraded version of Momentum from VVV, whose explicitly pro-mutant agenda makes him a much closer analogue to Magneto than Gravitar is. He'll be in the "Master Villains" book too IIRC.