In other news...

tkdguy

Canada just legalized marijuana. I'm curious, though. In the US, states that legalized it still allow employers to fire employees who fail the marijuana test, even if they aren't high at work. And the test shows any use in the past couple weeks. Thus, it is only sorta-legal. How will it play in Canada?

I think in the US the fire-for-positive-test situation stems from its authorization via federal law, and the requirements for that testing put on some industries.  The contradiction between federal and state laws mean that on anything having to do with federal requirements, the more stringent federal laws win.  At the private university where I work, the school has a no-marijuana-on-campus policy that keeps the institution in compliance with the feds that retains its ability to receive, e.g., research grants from NSF, etc.

I know nothing about Canadian laws, so I have no comments about our neighbors in the Great White North.

12 hours ago, Badger said:

So, does anybody actually know the rules to cricket?

My sister lives in New Zealand and has lived in Australia. Our family had a poster in our pool table room given by Kiwi's to us... it said the following...

The Rules of Cricket

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

3 hours ago, Sociotard said:

Canada just legalized marijuana. I'm curious, though. In the US, states that legalized it still allow employers to fire employees who fail the marijuana test, even if they aren't high at work. And the test shows any use in the past couple weeks. Thus, it is only sorta-legal. How will it play in Canada?

Marijuana and the Canadian workplace

Canada just legalized marijuana. That has big implications for US drug policy.

9 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'm so glad that the Vox article brought up the negative sides of "big marijuana" while at the same time noting the key fact... marijuana use is much less dangerous than alcohol.

I don't drink, nor take any drugs stronger than sugar, caffeine and ibuprofen... but I feel like I need to become a full fledged, reefer madness dope fiend just to piss of all the conservatives.

12 hours ago, death tribble said:

Not true.

I have been to see a baseball game (Bluejays vs Brewers) and I can confirm that cricket can be more exciting. Higher scores and different teams can win.

Well, baseball is more action packed than soccer, so there.

Heck, soccer practice is more action packed than a soccer game.

9 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

I'm so glad that the Vox article brought up the negative sides of "big marijuana" while at the same time noting the key fact... marijuana use is much less dangerous than alcohol.

I don't drink, nor take any drugs stronger than sugar, caffeine and ibuprofen... but I feel like I need to become a full fledged, reefer madness dope fiend just to piss of all the conservatives.

I get crazy enough after drinking Cheerwine on Friday night (stop for food at local Bojangles).  Only drink it when I have a day off after.

12 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I had a pen pal years ago from Australia who loved cricket. She even sent me a ball I no longer have. Man, the ball is hard as a rock. Batsmen get padding galore, but can you imagine catching it in the air with your bare hands?

I do remember with early baseball, the Wright brothers got there start in cricket.

An interesting article on why opioid addiction is such a much bigger issue in America than anywhere else...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41701718

But my favorite quote (of the various reasons why)...

Some Americans, says Professor Keith Humphreys from Stanford University, believe that life is "fixable".

"I'm 51," he says. "If I go to an American doctor and say 'Hey - I ran the marathon I used to run when I was 30, now I'm all sore, fix me', my doctor will probably try to fix me.

"If you do that in France the doctor would say 'It's life, have a glass of wine - what do you want from me?'"

In 2016, a study compared how Japanese and American doctors prescribed opioids. It found that Japanese doctors treated acute pain with opioids in 47% of cases - compared to 97% in the US.

"There is obviously a willingness, and a habit, of giving opioid pain relief that is not shared elsewhere," says Professor Feinberg.

"Other countries deal with pain in much healthier ways."