In other news...

tkdguy

They have. Selling hasn't been ferreted out but the other protections stripped have been affected in the past. 

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/03/five-creepy-things-your-isp-could-do-if-congress-repeals-fccs-privacy-protections

we've been a commodity for years. The FCC's previous chairman actually thought to protect consumers. But government now is about protecting Corporations.

They have. Selling hasn't been ferreted out but the other protections stripped have been affected in the past. 

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/03/five-creepy-things-your-isp-could-do-if-congress-repeals-fccs-privacy-protections

we've been a commodity for years. The FCC's previous chairman actually thought to protect consumers. But government now is about protecting Corporations.

Letting Home Depot know which of there users having been shopping for yard supplies isn't exactly the same as putting complete browsing history of individual user on the auction block.  The former is what Google and most other search engines  already do, and the latter is what the EFF make it sound like is about to happen.

In response to the Feds repeal of FCC Internet Privacy Protections (thanks GOP) Minnesota goes for state issued protections.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/2017/03/minnesota-senate-votes-58-9-pass-internet-privacy-protections-response-repeal-fcc-privacy-rules/

The pros? Yay! Can't sell Info! Can't refuse to provide service to those who won't sign off on sale of ISP information.

The Cons? Does leave the door open for privacy to become a "product" we have to pay them to not sell. 

But, you're the one who can stop them, send your browser history to Paul Ryan, and assuming he doesn't do anything worse than gouge his own eyes out, he'll be all for realizing the foolishness of this. :yes: 

Letting Home Depot know which of there users having been shopping for yard supplies isn't exactly the same as putting complete browsing history of individual user on the auction block.  The former is what Google and most other search engines  already do, and the latter is what the EFF make it sound like is about to happen.

One example and yes the least egregious, and also...kind of pedantic. And according to the EFF, the selling of our information *is* happening now as number five indicated. They just don't have any ISP or Cell Phone company to admit to it yet.

The data collection engine is up and available. The FCC rules were going to put a stop to it. And even then the other 4 bullet points are still working against the public good. It's wrong when google does it and it's possible the never got a chance to be enacted protections would have affected that as well. 

oh and to your point they do mention the google angle:

We’ve heard some arguments that is just what Google or Facebook do, but there’s a big difference. You can choose not to use Google or Facebook, and it’s easy to install free tools that block their tracking on other parts of the web. EFF even makes such a tool, called Privacy Badger! But changing ISPs or paying for a VPN is hard (and some people don’t have more than one choice of ISP). For more, see our post on busting three ISP privacy rollback myths.

Focused on the Internet of Things and utility smart meters. But just as relevant to the monitization of web browsing activity.

Welcome to the Matrix. Resistance Is Futile. Artificial reality complete. Virtual reality is next.

It turns out the deep state didn't need to control the Internet, it just needed to monitise its users.

Would You Eat 3D Printed Cheese?

Not sure how that will go. Do an experiment first.

1. Find a subject who is willing to try "a new brand" of cheese.

2. Have the test subject try the cheese.
  a. If the test subject doesn't like the cheese, don't eat it yourself.
  b. If test subject likes the cheese, offer more.

3. Wait for a while.
  a. If the test subject dies, don't eat the cheese.
  b. If the test subject lives, the cheese is probably okay.

What?

Would You Eat 3D Printed Cheese?

Not sure how that will go. Do an experiment first.

1. Find a subject who is willing to try "a new brand" of cheese.

2. Have the test subject try the cheese.
  a. If the test subject doesn't like the cheese, don't eat it yourself.
  b. If test subject likes the cheese, offer more.

3. Wait for a while.
  a. If the test subject dies, don't eat the cheese.
  b. If the test subject lives, the cheese is probably okay.

What?

My mother brought Egg McMuffins home for dinner tonight, pretty sure the "egg" part was from a 3D printer.   (still waiting to see if I die, so if you don't hear from me.....)

*walks away dejectedly*

I wanted to see eyes melt, like that guy's face in Raiders of the Lost Ark

Yeah, but half the fun there was that he deserved it and everyone knew it. There may be people out there who don't deserve it. I have no idea who or where such people might be, but I am assured they exist.

My favorite breakfast sandwich from McDonald's is the Steak, Egg, and Cheese Bagel. It's not served on the West Coast from what I can tell, and I'm unlikely to travel back to Maine any time soon. I also love their deep fried apple pies, but the last ones that I had were in New Zealand 10 years ago, unfortunately.

What I miss are those boxes of awful dry chocolate chip cookies that McD's used to have.  Cookies that were objectively terrible but if you were in a hurry or on a road trip they were awesome for some reason.  Like vending machine burritos or Jack In The Box tacos--they barely qualify as food by the light of day but at two in the morning they're fine cuisine.

Yup, there was nothing like going to Naugles at 2:15am, after seeing Rocky Horror at the midnight movies, for an egg burrito smothered in red sauce and an order of fries.

We'd go through the drive-thru and then sit on the hood of my Impala to eat.

Good times.

Eggs are one of two things I salt preemptively. Fried potatoes is the other. Everything else I taste first.

Yeah, I realize that the only thing I really salt regularly is turkey (Thanksgiving and a few other times a year).  A couple other things that don't come to mind at the time (and don't eat often).  Pepper to season eggs and other things has taken over.