In other news...

tkdguy

"I'd've got away with it, too, if not for those meddling kids!"

High School Journalists Who Exposed Fraudulent Principal Found Dead Under Mysterious Circumstances

;)

I'm expecting the country sheriff (who happens to have the same surname as the principal) to say "No signs of foul play here, move along."

Some nutter hijacked a brewery truck last friday and today careened along one of Stockholm's main streets. Three dead and eight injured, last I heard. The deed is treated as a potential terrorist attack. The center of the city has been locked down, and the nearby Riksdagshuset has been evacuated.

This is difficult. "Steal vehicle + use it to kill people" seems to be the new top game plan for low-level terrorists. It's simple enough that it doesn't take training, it can be done as a single cell, and it's pretty hard to deter. I mean, you can put up barricades to some degree, but it can't ever be enough.

Difficult indeed.

It's difficult, but at the same time, it shows just how impotent terrorism really is.  If the worst they can do is run a few people over, then they're not even as dangerous as texting while driving.  I admit it's horrific for the victims and their families, but still.

It's hard to make that argument though, because we have these darned monkey brains, and "human intent" changes everything, especially with a "human from another tribe" multiplier.

So the flu kills several thousand people a year, and no body cares, because there aren't humans behind it. Traffic accidents kill even more, but there generally isn't intent.  But if we hear that 10 people were killed by another human, especially if the killer was an outsider killing people like us, that is something that we'll spend months thinking about.

It's difficult, but at the same time, it shows just how impotent terrorism really is.  If the worst they can do is run a few people over, then they're not even as dangerous as texting while driving.  I admit it's horrific for the victims and their families, but still.

I'm now imagining text messaging being a covert terrorist plot.  That, and taking selfies in dangerous locations.

I'm now imagining text messaging being a covert terrorist plot.  That, and taking selfies in dangerous locations.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! The Internet is run by SPECTRE! I'd call M, but I know her phone is tapped....

ANyway, for my own local paper,  for a couple that is married for 58 years, the wife is suing the husband over a car accident

Evidently, the accident occurred 2-3 years ago.  He was driving a pickup truck (her as passenger) at night.  On a curve, they saw an oncoming car over the line and headed straight for them,  with only a split second, he swerved to the left (rural 2 lane road), evidently the other driver was correcting and they essentially hit each other (the other driver was killed, the wife was badly injured and will evidently effect for the rest of her life).  She is suing contending he made the wrong decision and should have swerved to the right off the road (which is probably true, but we have to remember A)it's dark and 2) With only a split-second you don't exactly have time to scroll through your choices, I would think you have to react and hope for the best.)

She insist she isn't doing this to make her husband feel bad, but to get compensation (which given they didn't mention a divorce, I don't know how she will be getting money she doesn't already have access to, unless it is some insurance thing.

It does put me in a gloomy opinion of marriage, I cant imagine someone being so vindictive they would do something like this to their spouse of 58 years.  I can only imagine the bitterness he has to swallow realizing he wasted his entire life to learn this about her. I know in his place I would be so highly bitter, my sole reason for living would likely be to outlive her and cruelly gloat over her death when it comes.  Not like I mean to be a bad person, but something like this is something that I know would break me.

Really hope more to it, because it is difficult for me to imagine that level of cruelty. (and cant fathom why he didn't get divorce upon learning of the suit, though maybe legal reasons for not divorcing in the midst of it)