In other news...

tkdguy

Legislation proposed (not a law, not yet) to go after racially motivated 911 calls.

They named it the "CAREN" act. Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies. Because nobody likes apropos acronyms more than comic book writers, but after that, nobody more than politicians.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-07-08/lawmaker-proposes-caren-act-making-racially-biased-911-calls-illegal

20 hours ago, Sociotard said:

Legislation proposed (not a law, not yet) to go after racially motivated 911 calls.

They named it the "CAREN" act. Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies. Because nobody likes apropos acronyms more than comic book writers, but after that, nobody more than politicians.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-07-08/lawmaker-proposes-caren-act-making-racially-biased-911-calls-illegal

I've got a friend named Karen. She's a nice lady. This relatively new use of her name to be mean 'Busybody on a power trip'  is depressing her.

But it seems to be rooted pretty quickly.

All of my MS cohort were supposed to do lab internships this summer. (I did mine last summer, for reasons too complicated to go into here.) Now, instead of an in-person lab research experience like I had, they're all having a stay-at-home coding and data analysis experience as the capstone project for their Master's degree program.

I feel sorry for them.

I'd say it'll be interesting to see what direction they go with this, but that would be a lie. The fact is it without Tom Bergeron, the show won't be worth watching.

Hosts Tom Bergeron, Erin Andrews will be replaced on 'Dancing With the Stars'

(And how does ballroom dancing work with social distancing, anyway?)

On 7/10/2020 at 10:24 PM, Old Man said:

All the Karens I have known personally were very nice and would never behave in the now-stereotyped manner.  Debbies, on the other hand...

In my age group, there were about an order of magnitude more Debbies than Karens, going strictly by count of people names.

On 7/10/2020 at 6:05 AM, Pariah said:

Isn't making a false 911 call already against the law? 

It sure is.  In some states there are broader laws against abusing the 911 call line (like Texas).

My wife used to be a 911 operator and has some stories to tell.  One of them involved a guy calling 911 over and over because he had called the police and didn't like the police that showed up and wanted DIFFERENT cops to come.  When he got told "no" he kept calling until they told him he was about to get charged with 911 abuse.  Because alcohol is very helpful in decision making he kept calling again and again and ended up going to jail.

PSA:  Don't get stupid drunk and then call the cops over some triviality and then verbally abuse the 911 operators and the police you called to your own damn house.