In other news...

tkdguy

Even worse, those higher temperatures are melting the Arctic permafrost, the perpetually-frozen soil. That's going to release huge amounts of greenhouse gasses trapped in the ground, exacerbating global warming even more. Permafrost holds the earth in that region together, so soil erosion could cripple its ecosystem; not to mention the foundations of any man-made structures there.

10 hours ago, Starlord said:

Or worst of all, revealing long-lost futuristic cities full of otherworldly machines and powered by alien technology....

This! As seen in my nightmares! Ever since I purchased that odd bit of scrimshaw.......

Permafrost is the only thing holding the earth together in that area. If it melts there'll be massive soil erosion. Coastlines will fall away. Huge areas of land can subside (some areas of Siberia have already dropped up to 280 feet). Rockslides and flooding become common, blocking and muddying water sources; at the same time, lakes and wetlands formed when the permafrost became depressed could drain away completely.

In other words, if that land is ever fit for growing crops for human consumption, it won't be for a long time.

https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2018/01/11/thawing-permafrost-matters/

On 6/27/2020 at 7:15 PM, Old Man said:

Yes, the rest of us can flee while they're killing you.  ;) Don't worry, we'll sing songs about you back at the bar.

More Ewok steak for me. And I get all profits from the hides too. Win win for me.

9 hours ago, Pariah said:

Based on my admittedly limited experience with the phenomenon in question, I don't believe the words "Zoom" and "party" belong in the same sentence without some kind of negative conjunction involved.

I attended a Zoom fireside with my ward last night. I am ashamed to admit that I lost track after about the sixth or seventh person describing their experiences in the pandemic.

I have also attended Zoom song circles. I got to perform an a capella version of "The Middle Class" at one of them.