In other news...

tkdguy

5 hours ago, death tribble said:

Boris Becker jailed for tax evasion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61276378

Rather unhappy judge, too. 

I always feel a bit sorry for people who've found the golden egg, then scrambled it for breakfast...but that covers the 2002 bankruptcy.  This sounds like he was scamming (and skimming)...a 3 million pound luxury estate?  After the 2002 bankruptcy?  Yeah....I can see where the judge comes from, with the "you've learned nothing, repented nothing."

He can kiss any formal connection with Wimbledon good-bye.

The crazy there is awesome.

Share houses are the entire basis of student, unemployed and artistic life in Australia.

I can't imagine what these fabulous idiots are thinking, although thinking is an obvious exaggeration.

7 hours ago, Starlord said:

Resized_FRdlryVXwAElHGt.jpeg

5 hours ago, assault said:

The crazy there is awesome.

Share houses are the entire basis of student, unemployed and artistic life in Australia.

I can't imagine what these fabulous idiots are thinking, although thinking is an obvious exaggeration.

I would guess, the profitability for the landlords. Fewer tenants sharing a space means more of them have to look for their own living quarters, meaning more units in a landlord's property get rented.

Government, at least in North America, tends to favor people who have money over people who don't.

4 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I would guess, the profitability for the landlords. Fewer tenants sharing a space means more of them have to look for their own living quarters, meaning more units in a landlord's property get rented.

Government, at least in North America, tends to favor people who have money over people who don't.

But that makes no sense.  It's not as if those people will suddenly have more money with which to rent more units.

If you want to look at it ruthlessly, they have to live somewhere, so they either come up with the money or go elsewhere and make way for someone else who will. There will always be someone who needs a roof.

In case it's not clear, I don't condone the practice, I just get the rationale.

4 hours ago, Grailknight said:

There's so much wrong with this.

This forbids groups of 4 or more students, 2 couples or even a family of 3 and a boarder from living together. That unanimous vote tells me that some kind of housing deal is going on with big kickbacks to the city council. 

It isn't a student area.

The issues are

--perceived damage to the property values in the area...will those properties be maintained?  What would a few of these do to the perception of the neighborhood?

--increased traffic, noise, and trash

--potentially increased crime

The roots here may well be both racist and classist...the latter would seem to be a given.  Not that they'd be admitted openly, most likely, but they're there.  

There is a flip side here.  One of the stories cites an example of a 4 bedroom house getting reconfigured as a 7 bedroom house.  That would bother me, too.  I think the ordinance is likely to be overly broad...but I'm not sure it's completely out of line here.  Not in existing neighborhoods.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

It isn't a student area.

The issues are

--perceived damage to the property values in the area...will those properties be maintained?  What would a few of these do to the perception of the neighborhood?

--increased traffic, noise, and trash

--potentially increased crime

The roots here may well be both racist and classist...the latter would seem to be a given.  Not that they'd be admitted openly, most likely, but they're there.  

There is a flip side here.  One of the stories cites an example of a 4 bedroom house getting reconfigured as a 7 bedroom house.  That would bother me, too.  I think the ordinance is likely to be overly broad...but I'm not sure it's completely out of line here.  Not in existing neighborhoods.

If it's a really wealthy area, I can see how it got started.

Some entitled person ran into one of "those people" (doesn't have to be racial, just someone who looks too poor to live there), there was an incident and when police were called, there was nothing they could do because "that person" was a legal resident. I can even sympathize somewhat if this is a rampant issue and property values are being destroyed by the new inhabitants. 

But like I stated before, this keeps 2 couples from sharing a deceased parent's home, 2 parents can't take in their live at home child's SO until they can get on their feet, that Ukranian refugee that you went to school with and his wife are SOL even though you have plenty of room and many other cases. The unanimous vote means that all the people who "matter " in the city are behind this or there are some strong financial incentives somewhere.

The issues of upkeep and remodeling are irrelevant here though. A person can live by themselves and let the property go to hell, or a family with 5 kids and grandparents may need to make 4 bedrooms into 7. Those are individual landlord/tenant issues not matters of city ordinance.

The issues of public perception are not irrelevant, tho.  Also, your case *might* happen...with these rents, it *was* happening.  So it's a potential vs. an actual.  

How would you feel if the houses on both sides of you, suddenly held a half dozen people each?  

I'm not saying its socially just, but social justice is something most want to see happen Somewhere Else.  

22 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The issues of public perception are not irrelevant, tho.  Also, your case *might* happen...with these rents, it *was* happening.  So it's a potential vs. an actual.  

How would you feel if the houses on both sides of you, suddenly held a half dozen people each?  

I'm not saying its socially just, but social justice is something most want to see happen Somewhere Else.  

So, my old neighbors move out and new tenants move in.  Sounds like a normal neighborhood progression over time. Whether or not I get along with the new folks is a personal issue and any unruly behavior should already be covered by criminal and property laws.  I can't think of a single example where this new ordinance is anything but an attempt to maintain status quo in property valuations.

34 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

So, my old neighbors move out and new tenants move in.  Sounds like a normal neighborhood progression over time. Whether or not I get along with the new folks is a personal issue and any unruly behavior should already be covered by criminal and property laws.  I can't think of a single example where this new ordinance is anything but an attempt to maintain status quo in property valuations.

And if you were one of those homeowners, wouldn't that be YOUR main concern?

Remembering the house/home is the biggest asset most people have and are still likely paying off. If it depreciated below market value, and your still paying it off…you would be concerned.

(If this is what is occurring in this situation.)

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

And if you were one of those homeowners, wouldn't that be YOUR main concern?

2 hours ago, Bazza said:

Remembering the house/home is the biggest asset most people have and are still likely paying off. If it depreciated below market value, and your still paying it off…you would be concerned.

(If this is what is occurring in this situation.)

Yes. I'd be concerned. I'd hate to see the value of my home and the quality of my neighborhood go down. If you want to beef up the penalties on property maintenance..., well you can try. But you risk the government becoming an HOA for the entire city. I can't see that working well.

But as a Black American, I've been on the targeted side of this debate all my life. The main cause of the wealth disparity in this country is laws like this, which have denied the generational wealth of inherited property through housing laws and property devaluation. Repeating the cycle of oppression is not the answer.

But the economics of "white flight" aren't nearly as forgiving as they were in the 50's and 60's. To put it plainly, fewer people can afford to move, so they'll have to live with the changing neighborhood dynamics. .

I think if we're going to continue this conversation, it should be in the Political Thread. We've been civil but we're probably over that boundry. 

I think we're done.  All I'm pointing out is, the property owners have a side too, and you're acknowledging that.  I agree that the ordinance is very likely to be both too narrow in what it allows, and too broad in terms of where it should apply.  

We're going to see fights like this only get worse.  Did some checking:  most of Shawnee is designated as single family residential or residential estate.  From the zoning code:

Single family residential:  The intent of the R-1 (Single Family Residential) zoning district is to provide for standard low-density residential developments and other compatible uses in areas where adequate public services exist for such development and such development is appropriate given the surrounding land uses and neighborhood.

Residential Estates means lots of an acre or more;  it also has some ancillary uses that Single Family Residential doesn't have.

Very broadly speaking, I get the sense that Shawnee is an affluent bedroom community for the greater Kansas City area.  So...not so great an area to try pushing co-living.

Clemmons is having an expansion right now. We're basically the buffer between Winston and Davie County. Local apartments are going up in their rent, with a fight over another complex going up in a local neighborhood being protested. Same thing is happening across the river in Bermuda Run's Kinderton Village. And the prices on these houses are outrageous to my way of thinking. 500k for a house with two feet of yard crammed up against another house? Really? 

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.024657,-80.3888279,15zhttps://www.google.com/maps/@36.024657,-80.3888279,15zhttps://www.google.com/maps/@36.024657,-80.3888279,15zhttps://www.google.com/maps/@36.024657,-80.3888279,15z