In other news...

tkdguy

On 5/1/2022 at 9:05 AM, Pariah said:

She was one of the most important women in country music in the past 30-40 years.

Naomi Judd, Grammy-winning matriarch of The Judds duo, dies at 76

She struggled with mental illness for much of her life. In the end, it looks like it was just too much.

Country music legend Naomi Judd's cause of death revealed as suicide

First, but almost certainly not last....headline and lead from NYT.

Where Lawns Are Outlawed (and Dug Up, and Carted Away)

With drought and growth taking a toll on the Colorado River, the source of 90 percent of the region’s water, a new law in Las Vegas mandates the removal of turf, patch by patch.

<snip>

The authority estimates there are about 3,900 acres of grass to be removed, which could yield savings of up to 9.5 billion gallons of water annually, or about 10 percent of the region’s allocation from the Colorado.

Whether this will really do that much, remains to be seen.  But, I very seriously doubt they'll stand alone in a ban like this for very long.  Many have probably seen shots like the Lake Mead water level;  down here we've been down again...2.5 to 3 inches a year below normal.  Since long-term average is only 10 inches...that's also 25-30% down.

Wildfires have also been kicking off already too.  The 2nd largest fire in New Mexico history is devastating the northern mesa area;  the governor's asked the feds for a disaster declaration.  From DisasterPhilanthropy.org:

The National Interagency Fire Center statistics show that as of May 2, 2022, 21,831 fires have already burned a total of 1,108,921 acres. This is above the 10-year average of 15,959 fires and the average acreage of 689,476 acres.

EDIT:  BTW, according to WeatherBug, the forecast high for every day in the 10 day forecast, including today:  90+, with the highest being 95.  No rain in sight.

I have maybe 200 square feet of lawn out front, but there's also a large chunk of common area directly across from my townhome that's covered in grass. I wouldn't mind if either bit went away. The HOA ripped out the grass for much of the other common areas and replaced it with desert landscaping some 10 or 15 years ago, and most of that is watered through drip irrigation. The big lawns tend to be in more expensive, newer developments, which often are also on very green golf courses. I believe that the golf courses are exempt from the law, as it only bans non-functional lawns. 

Lake Mead water levels are low enough that the original water intake from 1971 for our water supply is now dry, and bodies dumped in the lake decades ago are now starting to be found as the water recedes.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/homicides/police-believe-man-found-in-barrel-at-lake-mead-died-from-gunshot-wound-2570915/

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

I have maybe 200 square feet of lawn out front, but there's also a large chunk of common area directly across from my townhome that's covered in grass. I wouldn't mind if either bit went away. The HOA ripped out the grass for much of the other common areas and replaced it with desert landscaping some 10 or 15 years ago, and most of that is watered through drip irrigation. The big lawns tend to be in more expensive, newer developments, which often are also on very green golf courses. I believe that the golf courses are exempt from the law, as it only bans non-functional lawns. 

Lake Mead water levels are low enough that the original water intake from 1971 for our water supply is now dry, and bodies dumped in the lake decades ago are now starting to be found as the water recedes.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/homicides/police-believe-man-found-in-barrel-at-lake-mead-died-from-gunshot-wound-2570915/

I saw that story of the body.  Powell may soon be so low that it' *can't* generate electricity.  We're talking...maybe a year, maybe somewhat less.

Yeah, the story I posted talked about it.  A great deal of the grassy areas are like that, apparently, because, as you say, they weren't used for anything.  Not even walking, by and large.  
But golf courses *have* to consider this as major warning shot.  Particularly public courses.  Private courses might argue deprivation of livelihood, and a form of property seizure.  The public courses can't in themselves do that;  the employees are losing their jobs, but it's no different from the course simply closing for them.

58 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Public utilities generally have the authority to set rates according to use, and I'd adjust water rates for golf courses by stacking a couple of zeros on the end.

I agree with the general sentiment that golf should be considered a VERY low priority, but I'd rather simply order closure.  In all likelihood, that's what you'd be doing with that kind of rate hike.  

Found this, from a paper Mr. P probably knows:

https://www.deseret.com/2022/3/22/22988989/an-illogical-oasis-golf-course-water-usage-st-george-golf

They say 145 million gallons.  Found the utility rates for the city.  They've got a rate for golf courses...$90 per month, $3 per 1000 gallons.  So that 145M per year is 12M per month, or $36,000.  Per month.  Even a 10x cost increase for the water might force greens fees to impractical levels.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do it this way...heck, it's probably easier to defend in court.  That said, a lawsuit's guaranteed, if any measure fundamentally forces a private business to shut down.

And it darn sure may happen.  We'll see;  there's some other highly water-intensive activities that might be in a similar boat.  IIRC, almond trees are very water-intensive.  Corn is pretty bad.  Once we get to the point of considering closing the golf courses, well, I think many things start popping onto the table.  This is pretty interesting:
https://www.treehugger.com/from-lettuce-to-beef-whats-the-water-footprint-of-your-food-4858599

3 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

Guy who filmed orderly calling him the n-word at the local hospital was indicted for seven counts of forgery for stealing people's houses

CES

The guy looks to be a total loser.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/north-carolina/articles/2022-05-05/man-indicted-for-forging-deeds-to-steal-n-carolina-property

In April 2016, Baskins accused a volunteer with Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center of assaulting him and using a racist slur. The medical center fired the volunteer and issued an apology, but the criminal charge against her was dismissed in September 2016 after Baskins failed to show up to court.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:20 AM, Pariah said:

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2022 includes Dolly Parton, Lionel Richie and Pat Benatar

...as well as Eminem, Carly Simon, Harry Belafonte, Duran Duran, Eurythmics and Judas Priest. And a handful of others.

Some would call Eminem questionable, and there are people who will be disappointed not to see DEVO finally break through and get in after three years they were on the ballot. The place is getting really crowded.

I have never gotten to see a Hall of Fame concert. There have been some incredible performances there, as you would expect when a hundred or so of the greatest musicians on Earth get together to celebrate their own.

12 hours ago, Old Man said:

I wonder what definition they're using for "rock and roll".

Whatever floats their boat...and can be used to sell tickets to the events around the induction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame#Criticism

BTW:  Parton asked to be removed from the ballot, feeling she hadn't earned that right...I presume, in rock and roll.  No one's going to dispute her stature in country music.  She's in anyway.