Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Whenever I see a line like "but there's so much no one's ever explored!!" my only response is, then you aren't gonna do Tolkien.  You're just going to slap the name onto a series to draw the people in, but it's gonna be based on the writers' and producers' notions, with little real connection.  The story said one of the pitches was to do Aragorn's wandering days.  Really?  From the books, it was...very low-key.  He was learning to command, learning the pains of the world, developing the empathy.  But that was, IIRC, 50 or 60 YEARS long.  And Gandalf might be compared to, say, a Belgarath, where he worked very quietly, mostly behind the scenes for centuries at a stretch.

Tolkien doesn't have lots of good dramatic story.  The First Age is all tragedy.  The Second Age is, IIRC, largely dull.  The Third...yeah, fine, they're there, but again in fits and starts.  Lots of it is slow decline, a la Arnor.  So in the absence of something dramatic...the writers come up with their own, from nothing.  <sigh>  That's where the fans' complaints come from because, well, you HAVE to bring in the recognized names even if they don't belong....

Yeah, I think Netflix' idea would've bombed.  Still haven't seen RoP...been a bad few weeks.  Plan to.....

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest She-Hulk episode had Daredevil in it, and they did okay with him, kinda.  The show has been overall just... bad, with poor writing and CGI, but I did like something about this episode: they followed the comic book rules.

1) when two heroes meet, they always fight

2) The winner of the fight is the one whose comic it takes place in.

I'm not sure how they got that right, maybe one of the few consultants working on the show told them about this or something.

(Netflix's version would take place in Middling-Earth, and probably the plot would probably involve a contest with cake.)

"We're going to lose the shop!"

The wife and I were talking about this today.  She-Hulk has been the worst of the Disney+ marvel shows and the first I've struggled to watch.  This episode was a much, much needed relief.  The chemistry between the two was great and I actually really enjoyed the episode up until Daredevil left and it just dropped again.  Tatiana is spinning gold with what she's being given, but she isn't being given much to work with.

Exclusive: Chris Evans Returning To Marvel In Secret Wars

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/chris-evans-secret-wars-returning-exclusive.html

"From 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger to Avengers: Endgame, Chris Evans served as essentially the moral compass of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so it will be interesting to see what part he plays in Chris Evans."

Interesting recursive conundrum.

18 hours ago, Bazza said:

Exclusive: Chris Evans Returning To Marvel In Secret Wars

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/chris-evans-secret-wars-returning-exclusive.html

"From 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger to Avengers: Endgame, Chris Evans served as essentially the moral compass of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so it will be interesting to see what part he plays in Chris Evans."

Interesting recursive conundrum.

The rumor is he will be playing Nazi Cap.

11 minutes ago, Ranxerox said:

I just finished watching Werewolf By Night. It is a lovely homage to those old Universal monster movies and big fun in its own right.  👍👍

I got a kick out of the cue mark appearing in the upper right corner to tell that a reel swap was coming up. It definitely reinforced the old Universal monster movie feel. 

I was surprised that it was directed by Michael Giacchino, who is better known as a composer, with the scores for several MCU and Pixar movies under his belt.

5 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

I got a kick out of the cue mark appearing in the upper right corner to tell that a reel swap was coming up. It definitely reinforced the old Universal monster movie feel. 

Ooh! I didn't notice that!

My only complains is that I wish it had been longer so we'd get more.

I never thought I'd see

Spoiler

Man-Thing playing cards

4 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

Because you can't always gauge the quality of a movie by its trailer, and people are telling you that it is worth watching?

Why would anyone think that when everything sucks? I grant that not all you people are cool enough to have noticed that, but I can explain at some length on request. 

Disney Executive: So... let me get this straight.  You have a show you want to do, and you hired people with virtually no experience to run it

Fiege: we want this to be an extra fresh show!  A new perspective that abandons the old viewpoints

DE: And these show runners have... *checks notes* never read She Hulk Comics, and don't like comic books or superheroes?

F: Fresh!  New!

DE: And they have no experience with legal drama or courtroom scenes, they kmow nothing about how to write them, by their own admission?

F: They will bring something unjaded to the show!

DE: And you want these show runners to do a show called "She Hulk, Attorney at Law?"

F: Well, when you put it that way...

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

DE: And these show runners have... *checks notes* never read She Hulk Comics, and don't like comic books or superheroes?

Quoth Jessica Gao:

"The Jon Byrne comic run was the one that made me fall in love with this character in the first place. What was so great about that run was that it was so fun and light. There was this great levity to it that you weren't used to if you read a lot of superhero comics, because, you know most superhero comics are very action-oriented, very dramatic, a lot of them tend to get heavy. It's a lot of serious men dealing with serious issues. This run of She-Hulk comics was such a breath of fresh air to have this fun, irreverent, female-forward comic about this woman who, even if she was dealing with saving the city or saving the universe, she was doing it with this lightness to her."

And it does seem that it's taken a cue from the Byrne run. It may not have had the best execution, but she's saying she read the comics, and I don't see any reason not to believe her.

I didn't think it was great, but it was OK enough that I'd like to see a second season, but with a little more oversight from someone who understands how to structure a show, and less of an agenda of "well, let's make fun of the guys who don't like female superheroes." It'd be interesting to see something, even from the same crew, with more focus on story and less on sticking it to the haters. Let 'em hate. Make a good show. You can make a good show exploring women's issues without it being a dialog with the most toxic part of your fan base.

It is odd to have canon in the Marvel Universe that She-Hulk knows she's in a comic book, leaves the comic book to talk to the Marvel Studios, and alters reality to go the way she wants, mind controlling Daredevil to come join her again.

Either they're going to just pretend none of this ever happened, act like it was a dream sequence, or She Hulk just gained reality manipulation powers.

15 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I didn't think it was great, but it was OK enough that I'd like to see a second season, but with a little more oversight from someone who understands how to structure a show, and less of an agenda of "well, let's make fun of the guys who don't like female superheroes."

Honestly, I don't have a problem with "let's make fun of the guys who don't like female superheroes". Those guys are schmucks, as far as I'm concerned.

But that's just me.