Jump to content
Bazza

Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Recommended Posts

MONKEY MONKEY MONKEY

Rasslor: Incredible. I could crush your body, I could smash your bones, but I could never break your spirit. You are a marvel little monkey. Any world that could spawn one as noble as you is truly blessed. I SPARE YOUR EARTH!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, death tribble said:

So how do we integrate Wonder Woman and Aquaman into the Marvel Universe ?

Because the Batman and Superman films of late just don't work

 

For Aquaman? Just declare that his Atlantean name is "Namor." Done. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, death tribble said:

So how do we integrate Wonder Woman and Aquaman into the Marvel Universe ?

Because the Batman and Superman films of late just don't work

 

Wonder Woman I presume is easy. Paradise Island just exists in one of the bodies of water near Europe and is veiled by magic. As her film takes place in WW1, that is easy. She stayed hidden during WW2, maybe joining SOE or org before SHIELD. Diana herself is a demigod/god like Thor (same level of power). 

 

Aquaman is slightly tricker as Marvel will want to introduce Namor as the ruler of Atlantis. We could have DC's Atlantis as a different kingdom and give it the new name Atlan, after its first king, or make it Lumeria. This way we get to keep its canon relatively intact. DC Atlantis's history before sinking can be placed before Marvel's Atlantis or at some point to better fit it in with whatever Marvel decides to do with Namor. 

 

So it can can be done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bazza said:

 

Until Marvel releases a Namor film. ;) :D 

 

Since the topic was the hypothetical integration of Aquaman into the MCU, giving him the name means we already have a Namor film. Which made over a billion dollars. I like the Sub-Mariner, but if Marvel could get Arthur Curry I wouldn't blame anyone for saying Namor McKenzie can suck brine. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

 

For Aquaman? Just declare that his Atlantean name is "Namor." Done. :D

 

Finally saw Aquaman on the weekend. (Well, most of it. Switched off in the middle of the climactic fight. Not a good movie. I like Jason Momoa but he keeps showing up in total dogs. This. Conan. Blerrgh.)

 

Anyhoo... not that familiar with Aquaman but did they re-tool his background to deliberately be pretty much the same as Namor's? You know, so as to undercut any potential Namor movie.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

 

Finally saw Aquaman on the weekend. (Well, most of it. Switched off in the middle of the climactic fight. Not a good movie. I like Jason Momoa but he keeps showing up in total dogs. This. Conan. Blerrgh.)

 

Anyhoo... not that familiar with Aquaman but did they re-tool his background to deliberately be pretty much the same as Namor's? You know, so as to undercut any potential Namor movie.

 

 

No, they did not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

 

Since the topic was the hypothetical integration of Aquaman into the MCU, giving him the name means we already have a Namor film. Which made over a billion dollars. I like the Sub-Mariner, but if Marvel could get Arthur Curry I wouldn't blame anyone for saying Namor McKenzie can suck brine. :P

 

I would say "those are fighting words" however Marvel is said to want an Asian actor to play a traditional & original Greek-Western story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

 

Hmm. So the plagiarism goes back to the comics then. Well then, that's a thing.

 

While Namor does predate Aquaman by quite a few years, any plagiarism would be in the other direction. Namor's background was not developed in those WW2 comics while the roots of Aquaman's origin were established in the early 60's before Namor was revamped in the early FF comics. Modern Namor has been a villain as often as not. The movie plot follows pretty closely to the "Throne of Atlantis" story in New 52 DC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should expect that two major competitors in the superhero comics business would duplicate each other's character concepts now and then. In any fan debate over which company was the "original creator" of such character concepts, well, most arguments tend to fall flat in the face of all the folklore and mythology said companies borrow heavily from anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I consider such an allegorical story from Plato to be the equivalent of a folklore/mythology mashup. I put the story of Atlantis in the same category as Arthurian legend, which is to say folklore/myth. Scholars are of course free to quibble with my terminology, but I think everyone grasps what I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So no one other than me read Plato's Timaeus or Critias which introduces the sci-fi story of Atlantis?

 

My point is that unlike folklore or mythology which has no clear author, the story of Atlantis does. We know when and by who the story originated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...