Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Cruise would likely be a cameo, so for a bit of fun. I doubt it was be anything major like a supporting role. 

Here is an idea, use established actors for alternate roles, eg Tom Hiddleston for Thor, Chris Evans for Tony Stark, Chris Hemsworth for Loki, Chris Pratt for Cap.

On 9/23/2020 at 6:21 PM, Old Man said:

Watched Doctor Strange again last night.  I'd forgotten how mindblowing the effects were, and I almost wish I'd seen it in 3D in the theater.

I held off seeing it until my LA vacation so I could watch it in 3-D at Grauman's Chinese Theatre. They had museum-style displays of props form the movie, it was awesome!

On 9/24/2020 at 12:55 AM, archer said:

I still miss the Ancient One being, well, an ancient one.

I console myself that the perfect person to play the role (Mako) passed away a decade before the movie was filmed.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/940894/marvel-casts-newcomer-role-1st-muslim-superhero-ms-marvel

They've cast Canadian Imam Vellani to be Ms Marvel in the Disney+ series.

As far as I can tell, she hasn't appeared previously in any TV shows or movies. So I guess they must have really, really liked her interview. Or she has a really super-agent.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The only one that would a) be in the MCU and b) in the timeline, would be Homecoming.  Now, why that's not listed is a very interesting question, considering everything...

EDIT:  I'd bet it's because Disney does not have the distribution rights. 

With Iron Man, Fury, Hill, and Happy all over Far From Home that would be, as well.

That "timeline" image from Disney explains, right at the bottom, that the Hulk and Spider-Man movies are not shown because they are not available on Disney+.

As you can see, this is merely a recommended order for watching these movies on Disney+, and therefore it would make no sense to include movies you can't watch on Disney+.

58 minutes ago, zslane said:

That "timeline" image from Disney explains, right at the bottom, that the Hulk and Spider-Man movies are not shown because they are not available on Disney+.

As you can see, this is merely a recommended order for watching these movies on Disney+, and therefore it would make no sense to include movies you can't watch on Disney+.

What, you expect us to read fine print???

But yeah, then it's distribution rights.  Hulk and Incredible Hulk were both distributed by Universal.  Also, it wouldn't surprise me that Disney doesn't much care to pursue getting the rights because both had continuity-breaking actors...Ruffalo has the role for every mainline Marvel production.  

It's a real shame, in my view. The Incredible Hulk is clearly in the MCU despite the subsequent change in the character's actor and the complexities of the ownership of the film rights. Same thing with Spider-Man. In fact, Feige is going to great lengths to include all the prior (Sony) versions of Peter Parker in upcoming MCU films. The absence of the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies on Disney+ is tragic, and looks pretty stupid/lame to those customers who don't understand all the issues at hand (which is most of them, I'd wager).

2 hours ago, zslane said:

It's a real shame, in my view. The Incredible Hulk is clearly in the MCU despite the subsequent change in the character's actor and the complexities of the ownership of the film rights. Same thing with Spider-Man. In fact, Feige is going to great lengths to include all the prior (Sony) versions of Peter Parker in upcoming MCU films. The absence of the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies on Disney+ is tragic, and looks pretty stupid/lame to those customers who don't understand all the issues at hand (which is most of them, I'd wager).

No argument here.

I suspect Disney's policy is, the only things we're gonna show on Disney+ is material we own outright;  we will not be held hostage to a distributor's greed.  Some of this is probably the incredibly acrimonious rebroadcast negociations;  they've been...well, maybe not common, but recurring with some regularity.  The entertainment market is splintering *badly* between satellite, cable, and the streaming services;  cable/satellite is down about 8-9% since 2018...not very long!  Meanwhile, the number, size, scope, and significance of the streaming services is skyrocketing.  Obviously, cord cutters may, and probably commonly do, subscribe to multiple streamers, but still, it's getting more and more crowded all the time.

I'm surprised Marvel hasn't found a way to get the Hulk rights back from Universal. It's not like Universal is doing anything with those rights anyway. They made two Hulk movies in the first decade of this century and that's been it. It's hard to imagine Universal turning down a reasonable offer from Disney. I think this just shows how little Marvel values that property; they'd rather spend money developing a She-Hulk show than bringing the Hulk back home.

My understanding is that after Universal didn't follow up on Lee's Hulk character and licenses are firmly back at Marvel. As distributor Universal still has the right of first refusal. One problem may simply be that neither of the Hulk movies came anywhere near what the rest of the MCU movies have done solo or collectively.