DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

44 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

From what they said, it sounds like they are scrapping everything and starting over with new stories and plans which might take a little bit to get going

But even Marvel got off to a pretty rocky start.  Doing this with only theatrical releases is a very risky style;  the time factor's so bad.  Movies take so long to go from concept to screen, and cost so much...  

Plus, they'll have to do what Marvel did...mostly, at least.  Get a single creative vision, and keep everything on-brand.  That also suggests constructing stories with broad appeal.  Core characters FIRST, don't drift all the way to dystopia, let heroes BE heroes.  Flawed?  Fine, within reason.

But a full reboot will take QUITE some time to kick off.  

I'm also not at all sure the theaters will cooperate.  

On 8/13/2022 at 6:45 PM, Old Man said:

I didn’t know the theaters got a vote. 

The big theater chains got burned hard over the last few years, and they've been working to realign the power between them and the studios.  For Warner's theater-reliant strategy to work, they need lots of screens for extended periods.  They also need people to return to theaters...and in a tight-money environment, with ticket prices being high, one may expect people will be choosier.  

In the distant past, movie studios used to own movie theaters; you'd have a Paramount theater or an MGM theater, and they only played their own content.  Smaller studios and moviegoers complained and congress passed a law, on the theory that this was basically monopoly in all but the biggest cities.  Studios were not allowed to own movie theaters.

A few years back that law was overturned, because of how many other options people have to get their entertainment content. I'm going from vague memory here and am to busy to look it up; it may have been a court case that was overturned, but the essentials are still accurate either way.

So far, no movie studios have taken advantage of this, but it seems like a pretty good business move, to cut out the expense of theater owners.

Most of the time, films get a percentage of the box office based on how long the film has been out.  The first week, the studio gets almost all of it.  After a few months, they are getting a small percentage and want new films on the screen replacing that low-earning film.  This isn't universal, different films have different deals, but its usually how things are done -- or at least were done back when my friend was a theater manager.

Its in the interest of the studios to own theaters and get all the ticket profits, but none of them have taken advantage of the change.

25 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

In the distant past, movie studios used to won theaters, you'd have a Paramount theater or an MGM theater, and they only played their own content.  Smaller studios and moviegoers complained and congress passed a law, on the theory that this was basically monopoly in all but the biggest cities.  Studios were not allowed to own movie theaters.

A few years back that law was overturned, because of how many other options people have to get their entertainment content.  So far, no movie studios have taken advantage of this, but it seems like a pretty good business move, to cut out the expense of theater owners.

Most of the time, films get a percentage of the box office based on how long the film has been out.  The first week, the studio gets almost all of it.  After a few months, they are getting a small percentage and want new films on the screen replacing that low-earning film.  This isn't universal, different films have different deals, but its usually how things are done -- or at least were done back when my friend was a theater manager.

Its in the interest of the studios to own theaters and get all the ticket profits, but none of them have taken advantage of the change.

There's a story behind a paywall about Amazon buying a multiplex theater in Culver City, California. Amazon recently also purchased MGM. 

Because I am catching up on Titans on TNT as I don't have HBOMax, I was reading an article to see if Doom Patrol might come to TNT also. Sadly apparently not at this point and more to the point, there apparently is a good chance it, Titans and the Harley Quinn animated show may be shelved (amongst others) due to this merger.

11 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Young justice did. 

Wait for it...

...Here are some stories about Young Justice not getting a season 5, even after great viewership ratings:

https://collider.com/young-justice-season-5-cancelled-hbo-max/

https://gizmodo.com/dc-universe-young-justice-warner-discovery-hbo-max-1849426104

https://thedirect.com/article/young-justice-season-5-release

On 8/18/2022 at 6:32 PM, Ternaugh said:

Wait for it...

...Here are some stories about Young Justice not getting a season 5, even after great viewership ratings:

https://collider.com/young-justice-season-5-cancelled-hbo-max/

https://gizmodo.com/dc-universe-young-justice-warner-discovery-hbo-max-1849426104

https://thedirect.com/article/young-justice-season-5-release

As I understand it Zaslav just axed anything that might be appropriate for children, without regard to ratings, popularity, cost, profitability, or logic. 

As I understand it Zaslav just axed anything that might be appropriate for children, without regard to ratings, popularity, cost, profitability, or logic. 

Again, they are shutting down everything to reassess and start over.  Some stuff is too far along to stop, or would be excessively damaging to the bottom line to just eat at this point but WB was a very sick, very weak, collapsing company and they had to take radical action to even keep it on life support.  FIFTY THREE BILLION DOLLARS ($53,000,000,000) of debt is not something you solve with small measures.  Deep cuts, decisive action, and strong restructure is required to get out of this hole.  They could put out 53 Wonder Woman I films and still be in debt.

Disney can afford to eat the losses and lack of sales that Marvel Comics represents.  WB cannot eat DC's utter lack of earnings.

1 hour ago, Scott Ruggels said:

THis is an interesting piece of news and information:
https://cosmicbook.news/david-zaslav-targets-dc-comics-failures-exposed

That has to be the most depressing article I've read about the comics industry in a long time.  The suits, having done their level best to screw up any attempt at growing the comics fan base, promptly blame their failures on the fan base and creators and now intend to shrink the fan base even further.  Well done, guys.

9 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Sorry, I stopped reading when the writer spewed "DC Comics has been in dire straits due to its SJW and woke agenda"...

Well it has. 

Would it be fairer to say that they have hired poorly talented, and far cheaper writers, and have abrogated their editorial duties to clean up or correct the scripts, but then Kicking out good artists, colorists and writers because they voted for "The wrong guy"?

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

That has to be the most depressing article I've read about the comics industry in a long time.  The suits, having done their level best to screw up any attempt at growing the comics fan base, promptly blame their failures on the fan base and creators and now intend to shrink the fan base even further.  Well done, guys.

This is why I have moved to read Crowdfunded comics. Yes, a lot more expensive, therefore fewer titles I can afford to read, but more entertaining stories and blessedly free from "The Message".

If anyone wants to know where the woke "controversy" in comics came from, I found a good background article that I will post in the Political Thread where it belongs.

Otherwise, I note that DC Comics has struggled for years with corporate mergers; this year it's Discovery, two years ago it was AT&T (which fired DiDio).  Couple that with crippling changes to distribution, the firing of 1/3 of the editorial staff, the overall death of the comic book as a profitable medium, and by the way covid, it's not surprising they're struggling.  On the other hand, near as I can tell the DC Comics budget is somewhere around $47M which is a rounding error compared to the advertising budget of DiscoWarnT&T or whatever faceless megacorp owns them at the moment.

5 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

THis is an interesting piece of news and information:
https://cosmicbook.news/david-zaslav-targets-dc-comics-failures-exposed

This guy says he has a leak in the accounting department. The things it states may or may not be true. I would wait for a second source but I note that CBR boards have been talking about how none of the books outside of Batman are selling well so that might be true.

CES     

I note that CBR boards have been talking about how none of the books outside of Batman are selling well so that might be true.

Technically some of DC and Marvel books are selling better BUT they are not put out by DC or Marvel, they are licensed books by Scholastic for kids.  The top selling book for DC didn't break the top 50 last quarter.