DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

Didn't you see the She Hulk episode?  He snuck him in and worked out the fight moves ahead of time... to fight a dangerous foe... to prove he was worthy of being the Sorcerer Supreme.  Because ha ha? 

I never figured Strange to be the Sorcerer Supreme yet anyway.  IN his first movie he barely  has a few months training, barely knows how to use the ring, barely can use his magic, and wings it a lot using the Eye of Agamotto (or its functional equivalent in this universe).  He should have had to go through a few more movies and get some experience to get there.  I mean, this isn't Skyrim.  Just because you beat a big quest and the boss died doesn't make you the archmage Sorcerer Supreme.

I don't know as Wong is qualified either, but it checks off a Diversity Box and Wong is a popular character.

I like Wong. But the line of succession is Ancient One > Strange.

They could have simply kept the Ancient One around a bit if they wanted to show him grow into the role.

They could have just started with him as Sorcerer Supreme and shown the backstory as needed in flashbacks, through dialog, through interactions with other characters, etc.

They could have really ramped up the rivalry between him and Mordo if both were working for the same order, and rivals, under the Ancient One (who they don't need on screen much, really), then had to compete when it came time to pass the torch. The way they handled the succession and Mordo really sells Mordo and Strange's relationship short. They could have done a slower turn with Mordo, akin to what was done with Sinestro in some of the DC animated stuff.

Another problem created by having Wong be Sorcerer Supreme is that in order for Strange to become Sorcerer Supreme . . . something has to happen to Wong. I think at this point if they kill Wong off, it'll cause an uproar. He could retire or lose his ability to use magic or something less drastic, but he'll have to be sidelined in some way, which probably won't sit well with the fans.

I agree completely that they shouldn't have killed the Ancient One in the first movie, and instead showed Strange develop and become the Sorcerer Supreme through time and doing something truly significant.  The problem is, the first film used the "protect the earth from Dormammu" in the first movie which was the way he proved his worthiness to take on the role in the comics over like 20 issues.

In other news, it looks like finally the violent, child molesting lunatic Ezra Miller is out as Flash, which either kills the Flashpoint movie or requires extensive, spendy reshoots.  Can it possibly make money?  According to insider rumor, Zaslav fought to keep him in the film, not out of any affection for the demented actor, but because he liked the film and believed that viewers would accept him in the role one final time and save Warner Brothers a lot of money.

I thought Strange, prior to the events of Infinity Wars, was the SS. So the succession actually went Ancient One - Strange - Wong when Strange was blipped out for 5 years. And honestly, when you see the 2s interactions, I get the impression that Wong is SS, but really in name only. Steven seems to go his own way no matter what Wong is saying. I thought MoM did a lot toward showing Wong as an effective leader and wiser soul then Steven, and showed he has a lot of power on his own.

In comics and in the movies, Strange has tremendous natural talent for the mystic arts. His learning curve in his first movie was incredibly steep, and two years later in Infinity War his skill was orders of magnitude greater. But in that film and No Way Home we see that his arrogance and overconfidence are still at play. That's an area where Wong appears superior, at least up until now. Yet in Multiverse of Madness Wong's spells were almost wholly limited to casting portals, shields, and energy "whips." Strange enchanted musical notes into projectile weapons. He wove a cloak of levitation out of the souls of the damned. He learned to dream walk from the Darkhold in minutes. Wong has done nothing to rival those feats.

Back to DC movies, while Dwayne Johnson playing a charisma-free murder hobo isn't ideal for building audience enthusiasm, I can't say it's exactly a poor adaptation from the comics version. I've been mystified by the character's popularity since the beginning of the millennium.

I am glad to see Hawkman and my all-time favorite comics character Dr. Fate featured in a live-action movie. I never actually expected the latter to happen, even with the boom in superhero movies.

DC seems to be willing to lean into its characters a bit more than Marvel.  They are often more faithful in their adaptations, then they're way off base and crazy, its hard to predict.  I still think a Booster Gold movie would be a big winner.

Update: watched Black Adam, it was pretty fun.  Not a great movie, but worth 3 stars out of 5 for just entertainment.  Dr Fate and Hawkman really propped up what was a pretty weak plot with some annoying kids and weak themes of oppressors and breaking the bondage of nameless bad guys (I mean, they had a name, it was Intergang but, they were just interchangable villains that vanished without explanation in the third act).

There was a LOT of killing, with Black Adam doing the bulk of it and as is typical in DC movies, a ton of property damage.  The main non super characters had their home obliterated, just blown to pieces and trashed inside.  Black Adam is apparently the Kool Aid Man but no one seems to care.  

It felt an awful lot like they were trying to make their own Wakanda, this time Arabic with its magical mineral that is never really explained and more or less ignored halfway through the movie.  But the action is fun, Dr Fate is depowered quite a bit but entertaining and they made his magic feel unique and interesting (and Pierce Brosnan does a great job).  Hawkman was interesting as well, for the first time I kinda liked the character. There's a wind girl in the movie as well and the way they used her and how she looks was truly amazing to behold.  Atom Smasher is mostly dorky kid comic relief.

There is a lot of what I considered inappropriate humor, with people being murdered horribly played for laughs.  I mean they are bad guys but uh is it that funny to see someone fall screaming to their death?  The audience thought so.  A really awkward romance shows up in the movie but thankfully is really background stuff.  I appreciate DC's commitment to superheroes; they use their superhero names, they wear the costumes, they do not back off from it at all.

Really, in the DC universe lots of people would have shown up to help the people of Wakan-- I mean Khandaq, such as the Justice League, but DC movies feel more like isolated stories, they aren't feeling so forced that they have to have one big overarching storyline or make everything connected.  Each story is its own story and that feels nice to me.

Saw it yesterday, and whereas I agree the overall plot was not the strongest part, i thought all the characters were well done. I also thought you had multiple Hero Quests in the movie, Black Adam, to some degree Hawkman (I have to ask those who followed Hawkman before, was he always supposed to be this powerful - he basically goes toe to toe with Black Adam). Pierce was awesome as Fate and I hope the helmet goes to someone else and we see more of the JSA in the future (I got almost a heroic version of task force X feel to them, pick the heroes whose powers suit what we are doing). And I know it is part of Waller's stick, but really, do you really want to threaten a guy who is in Superman's league a day after he saved a kingdom.

I have shown I am nowhere near as discerning a viewer as most, but I really enjoyed the movie and was entertained throughout.

Easily on par with Aquaman and not far behind, to me, the 1st WW - and better then the 2nd.

3 hours ago, slikmar said:

Saw it yesterday, and whereas I agree the overall plot was not the strongest part, i thought all the characters were well done. I also thought you had multiple Hero Quests in the movie, Black Adam, to some degree Hawkman (I have to ask those who followed Hawkman before, was he always supposed to be this powerful - he basically goes toe to toe with Black Adam). Pierce was awesome as Fate and I hope the helmet goes to someone else and we see more of the JSA in the future (I got almost a heroic version of task force X feel to them, pick the heroes whose powers suit what we are doing). And I know it is part of Waller's stick, but really, do you really want to threaten a guy who is in Superman's league a day after he saved a kingdom.

I have shown I am nowhere near as discerning a viewer as most, but I really enjoyed the movie and was entertained throughout.

Easily on par with Aquaman and not far behind, to me, the 1st WW - and better then the 2nd.

Saw it over the weekend and no, this is not your historical Hawkman. He is by far the most powerful iteration of the character I've ever seen.

The movie is light on plot and high on spectacle and character development. Thoth-Adam is developed well, Dr. Fate was near perfect, Tornado had innovative visuals to go with a strong powerset and Atom-Smasher wasn't as meh as the comics version. The movie has flaws but Adam appeals to those who want to see Superman with the Punisher's attitude. 

They powered up Hawkman and powered down Dr Fate, but they still were fun to watch.  A lot of the time when people race swap a character for demographic or political reasons, it annoys me but Hawkman is such a meh character that has had so many iterations and been redefined so often that there is no one definitive version of the character and eh, okay this is as fine as any of the 86 other versions.

24 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

They powered up Hawkman and powered down Dr Fate, but they still were fun to watch.  A lot of the time when people race swap a character for demographic or political reasons, it annoys me but Hawkman is such a meh character that has had so many iterations and been redefined so often that there is no one definitive version of the character and eh, okay this is as fine as any of the 86 other versions.

JSA/Golden Age Hawkman was a reincarnated Egyptian prince.  A blond white guy was the real race swap :)

There have been some more powerful iterations, but I can't recall one who could scrap with Superman.