DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

I agree Christopher R T.

I also will put forth the alleged "Mob ties" to DC being more worried about $ and less about the psychological/emotional health of the readers during that time in history (the 60's and Cold War).

And I don't care what anyone says in review of Guardians Vol. 3

I was like, "Man, what are they doing to these characters?! This Sucks! James Gunn and gang must be scuttling the ship because this is terrible! They must be sick of this type of movie work and giving bad performances intentionally."

Then at about the halfway point of the movie everyone showed up.

I cried twice during G o t G Vol. 3 It was CG characters that brought the tears out.

That tells the tale to me. Huh, Bambi.

I am confident that either James- Gunn or Mangold- can do good work on behalf of THE GREEN.

Go, Swamp Thing, Go!!

X-Cutioner's Song would be a good storyline for movies.  Tying it into the existing MCU might be hard, though.

I've mentioned this in the past, but Marvel's characters are usually superior to DC's in that they often have significant handicaps or complications.  Iron Man will, like, die without a friggin' arc reactor embedded in his chest (and he's an alcoholic narcissist besides).  Hulk can't control his power.  Thor loses his if he isn't worthy of them.  Many of the X-Men have powers that are arguably handicaps (Cyclops, Rogue, Beast, Wolverine, Nightcrawler) and some have actual handicaps (Xavier).  Peter Parker can't make rent and damn if being poor isn't the most relatable handicap there is.

Whereas DC characters are like unto gods and that makes them really hard to write.  Aquaman is literally Poseidon and WW is a demigoddess.  Superman has no weaknesses other than ultra-rare space rocks and other Kryptonians (which are even more rare).  Other than that his only complications are Secret ID and a code vs. letting people die psych lim.  That's not nothing but it does limit the amount of conflict you can create with the character, and it's a big reason the writing for the DCEU has been so uneven. 

Meanwhile discussions for Wonder Woman 3 are underway.

Another connect to this and all we "Generation X" Mutant children:

In regards to Wonder Woman 1984, which you know the plot of.

I was young that year, the 'real' 1984. One night I woke up in my bed and the house was shaking. It was very hot too. Steamy hot and getting hotter.

I ran from my first-floor bedroom to the other end of our 4 bedroom home (roughly a 2200 sq ft house) to where my mother's and younger brother's and sister's bedrooms were located. This was also the front door area of our home. My bedroom was located on the back side.

There i found my mother holding my brother and sister as they were crying, she was saying to them. "It's okay. It's okay." Soothing them. The wall of the front door was glowing. I quickly went to the door and opened it.

The front door of this home roughly faces a major Air Force base about 15 or 20 miles away. The glow came from there.

The sky was very black and yet glowing red hot. It was too lucid to be a dream. As my vision faded away (I went blind of course before I lost my hearing) I could hear my mother's hitching sobs, and my sib's whimpering as she continued to try to comfort them.

I saw the end of us. I firmly believe that.

But then I woke up in bed. And we are all here now. 40 years later.

I chose Spider Grandmother as my avatar because in the story I am using, She gave her Body- Corpus - to save her children.

But Her ❤️is still here hidden, and needs warriors to protect it.

As we all do if we wish to survive on, through this several-hundred-year crisis time in our species development.

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Hopefully 3 will be better than 2.   Better than 1 would be good too.

2 could have been so good but they wasted Cheetah. Also, I think getting Steve back should have been someone (villain) else's thinking they were giving her what she wanted, but maybe her real want should have been to be able to go home to Themiscyra and see her family (which was written into one of the reboots, the one I think they are using where she is Zeus's daughter*) and then finds out it isn't real, just an illusion to keep her busy. Her greatest wish should NEVER have been wanting Steve back and she shouldn't have needed him to convince her that stealing another person's body was ok.

*I also felt the movies (and comics) missed a major boat. Instead of Zeus's daughter, they could have made her the daughter of Athena (you know, THE warrior woman of the Greek Pantheon and the goddess associated with wisdom, craft, and warfare) shapeshifted (how many times has Zeus pulled that) to impregnate Hippolyta.

Edited by slikmar

12 minutes ago, slikmar said:

*I also felt the movies (and comics) missed a major boat. Instead of Zeus's daughter, they could have made her the daughter of Athena (you know, THE warrior woman of the Greek Pantheon and the goddess associated with wisdom, craft, and warfare) shapeshifted (how many times has Zeus pulled that) to impregnate Hippolyta.

Athena was a virgin goddess. It's in the name "Parthenon".

2 hours ago, assault said:

DC also had the Doom Patrol, which was a "hold my beer" response to the FF. It didn't produce any Doom grade villains though.

I've never seen the FF comparison before - a lot of people analogize them to the X-men (unusual appearances; leader an intellectual in a wheelchair), but the FF were out long enough before the Doom Patrol that they could have been created in response.

7 hours ago, 1corpus christopher said:

I agree Christopher R T.

I also will put forth the alleged "Mob ties" to DC being more worried about $ and less about the psychological/emotional health of the readers during that time in history (the 60's and Cold War).

And I don't care what anyone says in review of Guardians Vol. 3

I was like, "Man, what are they doing to these characters?! This Sucks! James Gunn and gang must be scuttling the ship because this is terrible! They must be sick of this type of movie work and giving bad performances intentionally."

Then at about the halfway point of the movie everyone showed up.

I cried twice during G o t G Vol. 3 It was CG characters that brought the tears out.

That tells the tale to me. Huh, Bambi.

I am confident that either James- Gunn or Mangold- can do good work on behalf of THE GREEN.

Go, Swamp Thing, Go!!

You know, I suffer a lot of amnesia, it's part of my M.O. I never was much of a comic book reader growing up. I've probably read maybe just over 100 different issues in total over my whole lifetime.

My greatest claims to fame in the DCU was seeing Superman 1 (Reeves, Kidder and Hackman) in Chicago an awesome ole theater. I also attended a world premiere showing of Batman that Eddie Munster (Butch Patrick) attended in '88.

I was too scared to ask for an autograph, plus I didn't want to bother him, he looked like he was trying to be left alone.

I have to catch up on these stories waaay after they were made up, because i am poor.

But I do think it is kinda cute how the original origin story of ST was a murder and then burial. I was in Louisiana in 71, the year ST started. But I was a toddler.

The origin was changed to a fire and then a jump in the swamp for Alec Holland. As i got older and i could be questioned, the origin was modified accordingly.

But it was fire ants I got covered in, i played in a bed of them thinking they were neat, and i got covered in oh, probably 50 or more of them before they all simultaneously sprayed me with their tailends.

And then I was dunked into the bathtub by granny as I died. Granny told me the story later, how she whooped my arse before she threw me in the tub, she was so scared.

Bayou fire ants, who make of a very potent kind of fungus for their food supplies. i would suspect they were Extra-T fire ants at that.

And then Good Ole Louisiana pipe water. Not the creek.

That's the true origin for all you insiders.

I feel for the Blue Beetle team, its a tough road they have ahead of them.  People have a pretty jaded view of superhero movies at this point, plus Blue Beetle looks like knock off Iron Man to the non comic book reader, and he didn't even build his own armor.  Pre publicity hasn't exactly sizzled with excitement, either, and the trailer for me at least felt mid.  I am hoping for a pleasant surprise.  I know virtually nothing about Jaime Reyes as Blue Beetle, I am only familiar with Ted Kord, who is my preference, especially with Booster Gold as a buddy.

Judging by the previews I saw, it looks like they are drawing heavily from the New 52 they started in 2011. Another of the reboots, was pretty good all around though again suffered from "We are rebooting, BUT, all our writers want to keep the big stories as canon" mentality.

The Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle was built on a reboot of the Dan Garret Blue Beetle where his mystic amulet is basically a green lantern ring of tech. At one point, the beetle was in Egypt, and then moved to Mexico, and now is back in Egypt with his new series. And his setting has been rebooted three times including a sane Peacemaker back from the dead at one point.

And now there are rainbow beetles in imitation of the Rainbow GL corps.

CES  

Sadly it appears that the Blue Beetle movie is not going to do very well, its started quite poorly.  The pre-film publicity wasn't great (the trailers weren't very intriguing and the constant drumbeat of identity politics from the director didn't help), and I think filmgoers are not excited by superhero movies as movies any more.

I reject the idea of "Superhero fatigue" but it is true that what was fun and exciting in 2010 just is kind of bland today after all we've seen.  From every review I've seen and read its not a bad movie, just not particularly stand out or original in any way.  Quite a few point out the many comparisons to Ant Man in plot, and it probably wasn't best to cast a virtual unknown for the title role.

Like Black Adam, this is half decent but not gripping or interesting enough to draw viewers.  Unfortunately idiots in the film industry are attacking the fans as racist for not seeing the movie (yeah, that will pull them in) and making lame excuses like how the Typhoon reduced moviegoing.