DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

2 hours ago, 1corpus christopher said:

I bet the release of Deadpool 3 and the profits of said 3rd installment will blow the brakes off of the Blue Beetle car.

That may go to show us if we have 'superhero fatigue' going, or poor casting and marketing going for the DCU vs MCU.

3rd installments typically have a fanbase developed.  Lots of times, the first installments don't do as well.

I'd also say it's not either-or.  Both can be true.  DCU's problem is less about casting...yeah, OK, Ezra Miller I'll grant...but more about picking terrible material to adapt.  Either characters few know, or taking the UNLIKED versions of the known characters.  But I do think genre fatigue is also prevalent.

38 minutes ago, 1corpus christopher said:

Mayhap a inperfect way to get the X-cutioners Song plot going is thru Mr. Dead Pool's time-travelin for love and fun to 'tie up loose ends' and perhaps inadvertently screw up the multiverse in the processs.

PLEASE DON'T !!!

Plotlines like that make me just flee.  Infinity War and BOTH finger snaps were bad enough.  At least for me, it throws suspension of disbelief totally out the window.  It frequently leads to ridiculous deus ex machina "resolutions."  What's the point of anything that goes on, in that case?

58 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

PLEASE DON'T !!!

Plotlines like that make me just flee.  Infinity War and BOTH finger snaps were bad enough.  At least for me, it throws suspension of disbelief totally out the window.  It frequently leads to ridiculous deus ex machina "resolutions."  What's the point of anything that goes on, in that case?

The truth is:

"There is no spoon"

On 8/23/2023 at 6:55 PM, slikmar said:

Plan to see thursday the 24th, but what's funny to me is, I have no problem with the casting EXCEPT Ted Kord, but I understand not wanting to do rich, tech building white guy, even if is canon. The IM comparisons are bad enough as it is.

Quoting myself to say saw it today, the Ant Man references are good and I would say was on that level. But quoting myself because I was incorrect about the casting of Ted Kord. The person who is using all of Kord's tech isn't Ted, who is absent through the movie, but Jaime's uncle, who is a gadgeteer tech type person.

Alright, I decided to watch The Flash because it was free. The first half-hour was excruciating. Not only do I hate hate HATE Miller's Barry Allen, but the script was just flat out bad and wouldn't have worked for any actor. (Barry Allen is awkward... get it??)

Once it got to the actual plot, it settled down a bit and became watchable. As most have said, Keaton was the highlight. Some of the visual FX were quite interesting. There were some neat ideas deep down and in the hands of a better director/studio this could have set a new bar.

As it is, I give it a C overall. Not as bad as I feared, but the first part was far worse than I imagined.

On 8/18/2023 at 7:05 PM, Old Man said:

Early reviews for Blue Beetle indicate that it sucks less than most DC films. 

I went to see it last night in the theater. Not many people there, but I confess that was a perk for me on the selfish side. I enjoyed it. I'd say it's comparable to Shazam for quality, though I liked Shazam just a wee bit better. One thing I did like was that Ted Kord gets some props. We don't see him, but he is spoken of and in this movie he has a daughter. And at least one of Jaime's family is something of a fan. HIS tech gets some use too, so if you're hoping to see a certain vehicle, it's a kick. Jaime is very likable, and the actor who portrays him is charismatic enough to do the part justice. Ted Kord's sister, Victoria, is not a nice person.  Our main villainess is utterly ruthless and cold hearted, and not even the resentment she feels towards her late father over his own chauvinism redeems her even a bit. Which I love.  Not every villain should be redeemable. Obviously she has her own 'dragon' which I will not elaborate on. I will say they leave out a lot of the Scarab's full back story... but they were probably saving that for a sequel. Lot of humor, some of which landed better than others. Some genuine pathos attempts, again some landed better than others.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

• 4 weeks later...

Had the opportunity to watch Shazam 2 on the plane.  It was actually pretty good, greatly exceeding my expectations.  Mainly because the villains were interesting, but there was a reasonable amount of character development to go around.  In particular the title character starts out as a bit of a doofus but overcomes that, to a degree, over the course of the film.  Worth seeing if you can find it on streaming.

This movie also featured the most blatant and shameless example of product placement I have ever seen out of Hollywood, and that's saying something.