DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

Several issues aren't limited to Warner Discovery.  Cost cutting and IMO really questionable decision-making seem pervasive.  Disney's firing a bunch of ESPN people recently.  One I just realized:  NBC Universal showed the first week of the Tour de France on cable, through USA Network...but all the rest is only on Peacock.  Really?  I don't think cycling is popular enough to draw new subscribers in any great numbers.  It's just the bean counter mentality running amok, it seems to me.  

I think the days of cable/satellite services are numbered;  cable subscriber numbers have been shrinking for a long time, and that's still happening.  But the problem with streaming is its fragmentation.

Streaming is just now reaching saturation which is why we're seeing these dramatic cutbacks.  There's no longer a race to be the streamer that people switch to from cable, because there's hardly anyone left that hasn't switched.  So now boardrooms are instantly demanding profitability--and I mean "instantly" because there's no rational reason to bury completed-but-never-shown properties like Batgirl unless you're desperate to improve your balance sheet right effing now.

Content creation is petty cash for the Apple and Amazon megacorps, and Netflix wisely diversified internationally, but there's going to be a lot of belt tightening for the others.  Between that, the strikes, and corporate profiteering raising inflation, it's going to be a bad time in Hollywood for a while.  Probably until the inevitable consolidation occurs.  As it is, I expect WBD to be sold first--Zaslav is pretty obviously doing the usual corporate sleight of hand, trying to prop up his stock price ahead of merger negotiations.

The biggest losers are going to be the writers, actors, and directors.  There was a lot of money going into content creation while the streamers spun up, but that spigot is being shut off rather abruptly. 

Well the dirty secret is that streaming wasn't as profitable as they figured.  Netflix made a ton of money by being THE ONLY streaming service, really, and they had everything.  When you splinter that into 47 different streaming services, each one necessarily has less content and hence less appeal.  If your original new content isn't particularly compelling, well you get even fewer customers.  The entire streaming model is flawed and a lot of businesses are losing money at it, or barely breaking even.

Of course it is extremely difficult to get hard data on this, because they don't share their info (an FCC violation, I am certain as you have to keep investors publicly informed) but also because its tough to really get hard numbers.  People watch a bit, and stop, people have it on in the background and ignore it.  People share passwords.  People join a service to watch some stuff, binge it, then cut off the service.

Complicating matters is how a lot of streamers, particularly Disney+ bundle free month passes with various products, and people use that to see content paying basically nothing.  Eventually companies will work this out (expect advertisements) but for now its almost a debacle.

29 minutes ago, Old Man said:

The biggest losers are going to be the writers, actors, and directors.  There was a lot of money going into content creation while the streamers spun up, but that spigot is being shut off rather abruptly. 

I am hearing that one of the not-so-well-known disagreements in the Writer's strike involves AI script writing....

10 minutes ago, Starlord said:

I am hearing that one of the not-so-well-known disagreements in the Writer's strike involves AI script writing....

The writers have many grievances, though AI is one of the big ones.  I'm not optimistic about their strike; the time for them to strike was a year or so ago.  They have little leverage at a time when execs are just disposing of completed work for the tax writeoff.

• 2 weeks later...

That smacks of The Producer, from Aaron Alston's Strike Force campaign world. Deranged android builder who staged "movies" starring androids duplicating actors from the entertainment world of any era, or other celebrities from any field. A Godzilla knock-off was one of his creations.

A similar concept, yeah.  As master villains go, he's not so terrible, he just wants to make his own movies, but he doesn't care who gets hurt; its not real to him. And there's always the terrifying thought that at some point he might realize he can do anything and make anything, not just movies.

I just noticed that that trailer has Superman drawn in his classic costume: red trunks, gold belt, gold S-shield on the back of his cape. I've seen that in recent animated movies, and as an old-time comics fan I'm delighted to see DC starting to accept that his suit doesn't need "modernizing." A classic is classic for a reason.

6 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I actually had Godzilla invade Chicago in my Champions game.  The supervillain of the campaign was named Cinema, a guy who can manipulate reality, but is fixated on movies and TV, so that's the only stuff he creates with his power.

5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

That smacks of The Producer, from Aaron Alston's Strike Force campaign world. Deranged android builder who staged "movies" starring androids duplicating actors from the entertainment world of any era, or other celebrities from any field. A Godzilla knock-off was one of his creations.

One of the characters in wildcards had the ability to change into movie monsters and was Kong climbing Empire State Building iirc.

On 7/26/2023 at 6:34 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

A similar concept, yeah.  As master villains go, he's not so terrible, he just wants to make his own movies, but he doesn't care who gets hurt; its not real to him. And there's always the terrifying thought that at some point he might realize he can do anything and make anything, not just movies.

Definitely a fun idea, and reminiscent of Professor Paradigm. Honestly, everyone is probably getting close to "I reject this reality and substitute my own" at this point. 

Now, I have a sense that much of this is displaced suicidal ideation, but that just adds a tinge of melancholy to the zaniness. 

27 minutes ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

Honestly, everyone is probably getting close to "I reject this reality and substitute my own" at this point. 

We have been there (here) for years, at the moment.

Furthermore, it can be said, that this worldview (nominalism & subjectivity) is concurrent with its opposite worldview (realism & objectivity). I’ve seen it in Ancient Greece (realism won), and it reappeared in the Middle Ages (realism won round two) however it appeared again a few centuries ago, and slowly but surely nominalism/subjectivity won.  

(I want to understand things/ideas and try to leave any judgement aside.)

Edited by Bazza

19 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I really hope that despite the uncompelling trailer, Blue Beetle really knocks it out of the park and is amazing fun. I'm not confident, but I really want it to happen so that DC can have a chance of getting their legs under them and show Marvel how its done.

DC knocking one out of the park would show Marvel how it's done...like a broken clock shows the right time.