Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

32 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Cruz's opinion of the intelligence of his voters must be very low. I guess we'll find out if he's right.

The GOP is not entirely devoid of spine. But too little, too late.

Agreed.

11 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

This man practically convicts himself, I can't believe he's evaded prison for so long:

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/trump-briefly-admits-january-6th-was-an-insurrection

He has too many enablers in power.

1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

He has too many enablers in power.

Now, but he's been a criminal his entire adult life.

/---- Divider for unrelated post that's been mashed together ----/

This is awesome:

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2024/02/republican-senators-who-walked-out-of-oregon-legislature-cant-seek-reelection-state-supreme-court-rules.html

Consequences. Who'd a thunk it?

Edited by Pattern Ghost

49 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

In what other job could you expect to absent yourself from work for six weeks without legal cause, and expect to keep your position?

30 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Fined is not fired.  Traded is not released.

Doesn't matter. The point stands. He had to give the money for his contract back, had his new team pay to take him making his former employers a little bit richer and he has to move away from his former team. He said I'm not playing, and they said goodbye.

CES 

The oral arguments in the Colorado removal of Trump from the ballot case were today (yesterday now). Here's an interview with Colorado's lawyer:

I watched the thing on YouTube. I think the above video covers the main points well, but if you're morbidly curious or have too much time on your hands, here it is:

I shared it to a time stamp after the talking heads, but if you have even more time to waste, you can wind it back to the beginning.

Edited by Pattern Ghost

Forcing Florida’s homeless into monitored camps is called internment. Are we in 1933 Germany?

There’s not a fascist idea floating in the Republican air space that Gov. Ron DeSantis doesn’t embrace.

His latest endorsement: bills advancing in the Florida Legislature to enable rounding up the state’s homeless and forcing them to live in monitored camps.

A “work in progress,” DeSantis on Monday called House Bill 1365 and Senate Bill 1530, which prohibit city and county governments from allowing homeless people to sleep or camp on public property and rights of way. Digging the knife of callousness deeper, the measures allow property owners disturbed by a homeless person’s presence to sue the local governments allowing it.

DeSantis’ casts the legislation as “ensuring public order, ensuring quality of life for residents, ensuring that people’s property values are maintained.”

But he essentially seems to want to make homelessness illegal.

Touted as “cutting edge,” the idea is to keep homeless people far from the view of selfish people offended and threatened by reminders of the plight of the less fortunate.

Where would we dump the homeless in South Florida? In the bug-ridden Everglades?

Lawmakers and the governor are so proud of themselves that they’ve already branded this misguided way to deal with homelessness “The Florida Model.”

9 hours ago, Cygnia said:

DeSantis’ casts the legislation as “ensuring public order, ensuring quality of life for residents, ensuring that people’s property values are maintained.”

How dare anyone value dignity of life over....property values. And I'm sure those living in the concentration camps will have an absolutely amazing quality of life. I swear I am so done with this nation's BS.

On 2/9/2024 at 1:09 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Do Floridians really not recognize how big a joke their state is to the rest of America already?

I don't think Florida is a joke to the rest of America.  I think, as a joke, the state of Florida has international potential.

I think that, when presented with an American doing something idiotic abroad, the person in that country might ask, "You're from Florida, aren't you?"

Edited by BoloOfEarth

9 hours ago, tkdguy said:

It's very much a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing.  Back in 2016, the media reported every deranged thing that Trump said of did, and it had the effect of sucking all the air out of the room where every other candidate was concerned.  Trump owned every media cycle and it was pretty easy to forget that anyone else was running.

The strategy of ignoring all his craziness has drawbacks, but IMHO it is much than blindly chasing after his every provocation.  Sure, the special counsel was not kind to Biden and right now his campaign would very much like to change the topic, but in a week or two America will have forgotten all about it.   However, Trump can be counted on to keep bringing up the special counsel report and if the media allows him to lead them around like they did in 2016, then the public will keep hearing about and the issue will live on like Hillary's emails.

IOW, the Biden campaign should be careful what they wish for.

The American media I, and people with attitudes similar to mine, consumes, does cover at least some of this. The media Trump's supporters consume covers almost none of it, or attempts to excuse it, and we can't expect them to change for the foreseeable future.

What America needs is some kind of concerted campaign imposing accountability and consequences on both politicians and the media for perpetuating information that is demonstrably, provably false. But I don't really know whether that should be financial, or affecting activities or licenses or eligibility for offices, whether it should be through government or independent bodies, involve civil or criminal penalties... we haven't seen such extreme behavior and misinformation tolerated in an established democracy until recently, so there isn't much precedent for how to deal with it.

I try to resist clickbait, but this was just too funny when it turned up in my front-page newsfeed.

You wanna talk reclaiming historic territories of your great, great empire? Mongolia has a comment or two.

Mongolia's former president mocks Putin with a map showing how big the Mongol empire used to be, and how small Russia was (msn.com)

Dean Shomshak