Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Short disclaimer, my exposure to counter-terrorism and trying to differentiate between guerrilla warfare and terrorism are years in the past.

However, one of the main goals of terrorism is to undercut the populace's confidence in the institutions of government with the intent of weakening the government.

Following the attacks in London,  the leaders of the free world sent messages of support and sympathy to the people of London and offers of solidarity and aid to the British government.

Donald Trump tweeted a snark attack at the Mayor of London...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/03/politics/donald-trump-london-travel-ban/index.html

Regardless of what his intent may have been, who did that support?

That's obscene!

With all the buildup and hype going into the upcoming Comey testimony, this has the potential to be either the most emotionally unsatisfying damp squib EVER or the political equivalent to a themonuclear explosion.

If I didn't have to work, I'd almost be tempted to get a Twitter account so I wouldn't have to wait for the media to publish Trump's response - cuz you know he'll be watching with thumbs at the ready...

(Unless his staff can figure how to keep him distracted and away from his phone 'til it's over and done with)

I get more of an Iran-Contra feel here. A president who doesn't always know what his people are doing. Except Reagan, at least, was likeable.

Also, Reagan never presented himself as a "hands on" guy, so when he said he had no knowlage, folks were inclined to believe it. Trump likes to shout "I'm the Boss!" so it's less likely folks will listen, even it's true (to some extent).

In the end, time will tell.

I get more of an Iran-Contra feel here. A president who doesn't always know what his people are doing. Except Reagan, at least, was likeable.

Except that this particular hearing should center on discussions Trump had with Comey in person.

Then again I suppose Trump might not always know what Trump is doing.

I'm going to call my shot on these hearings:

1. Dems declare results are clear indication and actionable evidence of wrongdoing, worthy of impeachment.

2. Pubs declare the hearings definitively prove Trump is innocent of wrongdoing.

3. I'm sickened by the spectacle of partisan hacks, making hay from the decline of our public discourse.

I thought I'd propose a drinking game: drink for any use of "Russia", "Putin", "ongoing investigation" and a shot for use of "Putin".

But I want to live.

Exactly.  Nothing will change unless there's a violation so blatant the the justice system has no choice but to prosecute - and I don't see that happening.  A few of his staff might have to fall on their sword (might - the FBI's credibility is pretty low in the court of public opinion right now) but I don't think any of this will reach the oval office. 

I was actually impressed with an article explaining why Democrats shouldn't pass a bill of impeachment, even if Trump obstructed justice.

Trump is a GOP problem right now. He lacked the patience needed to prepare a respectable Obamacare replacement, and doesn't even seem to care about it right now. He's ineffective. Let him sit where he is and continue not accomplishing much. 

If Trump is impeached and convicted, it'll outrage the Republican base into activity. They'll get huge voter turnout and Democrats will lose seats.

So yes, Trump is unpopular with the Republican leadership. Paul Ryan could easily offer just enough republicans to vote for impeachment if Democrats promise to do the heavy lifting. But if Trump stays his base will get disillusioned and Democrats will do well in the midterms and maybe the next presidential. If he's forced out his base will cry war.

If he is guilty of obstruction of justice, that's wrong. It doesn't jeopardize the country, not yet. Let him off with a congressional motion of censure.

“Never interfere with your enemy when he is making a mistake.” - Attributed to Napoleon

Is Senator McCain unaware that you can have multiple investigations into related matters close at different times? That was painful to watch.

Senator, the Clinton investigation was NOT about Russia: it was about Clinton's use of an unsecured mail server and improper handling of classified documents.  It also was not about whether anyone on her team leaked unsecured classified information to a foreign power - that would be *another* investigation - which would be opened if sufficient evidence to warrant such an investigation came to light.

All in all there were no surprises there - but ti was still potentially bad for the President: Comey is clearly not a 'nut job' 

And the whole 'clear the room' 'I hope....' thing could be torn out of any pulp gangster movie if you moved it from the Oval Office to the back room of a night club somewhere.  If my boss at work, upon hearing we're running behind schedule, says  "I hope your team can make this projects deadline." you better believe he means "Get it done."

But it's not just an issue of American domestic politics. There's a lot of serious stuff happening in the whole world that Trump has or could have a negative impact on. How long do you let Nero fiddle while Rome burns?

I am not convinced Vice President Pence is ready with a bucket of water. He is less impulsive, granted, but that might mean he'll listen more to the war hawks for Iran.

Mostly I've given up hope that we will get a president who brings diplomacy, stability, and peace, in that order. That wasn't Obama. That wouldn't have been Clinton. That isn't Trump. 

If he is guilty of obstruction of justice, that's wrong. It doesn't jeopardize the country, not yet. Let him off with a congressional motion of censure.

“Never interfere with your enemy when he is making a mistake.” - Attributed to Napoleon

I don't find fault with any of this reasoning, except for one thing.  I am greatly troubled by the shocking lack of respect for truth and the rule of law, as demonstrated by elected officials and by a very large proportion of the voting public.  It bothers me when private email servers are used to conduct government business out of the public eye.  It bothers me when lies are used to justify ruinously expensive land wars in Asia.  It bothers me when science is treated as an opinion.  And yes, it bothers me when presidents lie under oath about oral sex.

So today we have an administration that literally lies faster than people can keep track, which is nakedly guilty of using public office for personal gain, violated laws against nepotism, blatantly withholds financial information, lied about meetings with Russian officials and taking Russian money during security clearance interviews, tried to arrange back channel communications with the Kremlin that could not possibly have a legitimate reason to exist, and openly admitted to obstruction of justice on live national TV, ...and waaay too many people are okay with all of this.

Are we a nation of laws, or are we not?

So yeah, in theory my "side" would be better off leaving this crook in office, surrounded by the other crooks who are protecting him, and hoping really hard that somehow the next election will solve it all.  But as an American I think we would be better off actually holding crooks accountable and enforcing the laws that they break, because otherwise we will have a country not of laws, but of expedient politics.  And it will not last long.

Oh, I can fix that.

1. There is virtually no chance that Trump gets impeached.  It's clear that the only calculation running through the minds of GOP congresspeople is "Am I more likely to get reelected by leaving Trump in office or by actively impeaching him?"  Trump's base is their base, and they are still very clearly pro-Trump.

2. There is virtually no chance that the Democrats will take back the House or Senate in 2018.  The House is gerrymandered to hell and most of the Senate seats up for election are Democratic ones. 

But most importantly:

quote-inside-every-cynical-person-there-

Oh. Referring to the article linked a page ago, on how the alt-right media echo chamber exploits Google, I think we've already seen the narratives used to distract from the substance of Comey's testimony. First, that aw shucks, Trump just didn't know the arcane social protocols for talking inside the Beltway. It's no worse than not knowing which is the salad fork. Maybe, that it even shows his American authenticity, instead of the sly, slippery codes used by the bureaucratic Enemy. The other is that Comey is/was a coward for not telling Trump that what he was saying was out of bounds. Comey admitted he should have done so, but by pushing this point the Trumpists can deflecdt the issue into personalities instead of the actual events. All part of making this a nation of men instead of a nation of laws.

(The latter was the tack taken by the Trump ally interviewed by the BBC World Service. So, they didn't waste time. I predict we'll hear a lot more of this in the next few weeks.)

Dean Shomshak