Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

You know, part of me really wants to watch that, but part of me also remembers the near-migraine I got from watching the Palin debate.  Watching the debate may cost me a new TV. 

Football seems like a much safer choice.

C'mon. How often do you get to see a bridge collapse, leading to a train wreck, falling onto a nuclear power plant, about to be hit by a meteor?

C'mon. How often do you get to see a bridge collapse, leading to a train wreck, falling onto a nuclear power plant, about to be hit by a meteor?

So you're saying Trump is going to become the next Grond?  Grow two more arms ("all the better to fondle you with, my dear"), horns (he's already a horndog), grow in size ('I'm HUUUUGE!"), and have the Psychological Complication of, and I quote the character sheet, "Childishly Naive and Prone to Tantrums" (no comment).

There is no way, just call this thing now. Even GOP staffers are calling this "horrible" and "sickening" and talking about "just think about the down ballot effect".

Anderson Cooper is moderating a debate Sunday. This could not have been timed to occur at a tougher point.

Even better, I believe this is supposed to be a town hall format.

The questions don't come from the moderator. They come from the audience.

Even better, I believe this is supposed to be a town hall format.

The questions don't come from the moderator. They come from the audience.

Wow. I almost feel sorry for him: "Mr. Trump, as a mother of an 8 year old girl, when you 'grab her by the p$@#^' as you stated in 2005 how would you explain that to impressionable children when it's put forward as an acceptable practice by someone running as a major party candidate for the highest office in the land."

Yikes. His quotes alone are cringe worthy.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/condi-rice-donald-trump-229385#ixzz4MXbILxBb

"Mr. Trump, how do you respond to demands by such bastions of the GOP as Condoleezza Rice, Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse, Idaho Sen. Mike Crapo, Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake, Utah Sen. Mike Lee, South Dakota Sen. John Thune, and others that you withdraw your candidacy due to being totally unqualified for the office and generally offensive?"

I have to be honest (again).  If people didn't already know he was a horndog. then it proves my theory that the electorate has a memory of less than 2 years. (I would say 2 years, but considering some of the House members who keep getting voted in, I was giving the public too much credit). 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/08/politics/trump-on-howard-stern/index.html

No, seriously. I'm father to a beautiful and intelligent 16 year old. I cannot imagine this conversation ending well if some fool asked me about referring to her in that manner.

He'd better have good security, if he's going to call my daughter a "piece of ass". That actually makes me angry he'd find that acceptable.

I have to be honest (again).  If people didn't already know he was a horndog. then it proves my theory that the electorate has a memory of less than 2 years. (I would say 2 years, but considering some of the House members who keep getting voted in, I was giving the public too much credit).

I think casually talking about being able to get away with sexual assault because he's a "star" goes beyond "being a horndog".

I think casually talking about being able to get away with sexual assault because he's a "star" goes beyond "being a horndog".

Maybe, it'd be a lot easier to go after, if not for his opponent being the wife of essentially the same thing and at roughly the same time.  It just ends up coming across as yet another case of political hypocrisy at its worst.  And why I refuse to vote for either.  (Hillary would come across better, if in hindsight she had taken the side of the Paulas, and Kathleens rather than straddle between oblivious and antagonistic).

I have to be honest (again). If people didn't already know he was a horndog. then it proves my theory that the electorate has a memory of less than 2 years. (I would say 2 years, but considering some of the House members who keep getting voted in, I was giving the public too much credit).

There's "horndog", and then there's "boasting about sexual assault on tape".

I'm not sure which town hall question I would go with. Would you prefer:

"Mr. Trump, how many p*ssies would you say you've grabbed over the years, and how is that different from third degree sexual assault?"

or

"Mr. Trump, exactly how much money do you owe to the Russians, and how do you intend to repay that debt?"

Maybe, it'd be a lot easier to go after, if not for his opponent being the wife of essentially the same thing and at roughly the same time.  It just ends up coming across as yet another case of political hypocrisy at its worst.  And why I refuse to vote for either.  (Hillary would come across better, if in hindsight she had taken the side of the Paulas, and Kathleens rather than straddle between oblivious and antagonistic).

I think you've got that backwards. Trump was the one broaching the subject of WJC's sexual misconduct. It's his hypocrisy that is highlighted by this video, not hers.

I think you've got that backwards. Trump was the one broaching the subject of WJC's sexual misconduct. It's his hypocrisy that is highlighted by this video, not hers.

True.  I am assuming Hillary had absolutely nothing to do with the video coming out.  If so, I stand corrected, if not I stand by what I said. (I never said Trump wasn't a hypocrite which was why I never thought going that route a good idea.  Although I imagine the Trumpers would argue Trump talked about doing it, while Clinton actually followed through)

I've decided on a write in vote for Giant Meteor.

Don't give me false hope.

THough, right now, and it comes and goes depending on the day.  I sometimes want the worst choice to win. Just so the misery will end quicker.  I no longer have any illusions that anything optimistic will happen from 2017-21.  My biggest hope is that the challenger wins in 2020, and most of the damage from 2017-21 can be relatively easily rectified......

....and I have almost no hope for even that.

Edit: And I am finding it has given me my worst level of depression since the year and a half being community college graduation and finally getting a job.  (circa mid 2001 until Jan. 2003)

The fact that the Republican Party are now openly rebelling against Trump actually gives me a little hope that they as a group will finally grasp that the path they've been on this past decade contributed a great deal to him being in this position. While the Democratic Party surely have noticed that their anointed candidate is polling scarcely better than him, and would probably be in serious trouble against a more likeable opponent. However this election turns out, I'm hoping it will prompt serious reflection among politicians over how they conduct themselves.

Actually, he doesn't.  Her response to the video was 'horrific'.  Given her attacks against the women (on video and from quotes from books including Stephanopoulos) who accused her husband of similar attacks and the fact that she stayed married to a sexual predator, her hypocrisy is obvious as well.  As an independent who doesn't have a horse in this race, it seems quite obvious to me.