Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Okay, I was hesitant to post this video here, but this thread just feels like it needs some lightening. Dan, if this crosses a line I apologize, and won't object at all if you delete this.

It isn't just this video that draws this connection. I've found numerous media, including a PBS nature program, which have recently taken to calling this beast "the Donald Trump Caterpillar."

Badger, I suggest you pop up some corn and try to find bitter amusement in this whole mess. Any other path leads to insanity. Of course my suggestion could lead you to resemble Sam Niel at the end of At the Mouth of Madness.

Yeah, I've been doing that till recently.  Realty hit me hard.

Don't worry, too much, After my high school days,   when I wallow in despair too long, the fight in me kicks in.   Just taking a little bit longer, right now.

Yeah, I've been doing that till recently.  Realty hit me hard.

Don't worry, too much, After my high school days,   when I wallow in despair too long, the fight in me kicks in.   Just taking a little bit longer, right now.

Same here. I identified that depression was hitting me last night. With the enemy identified, I can now execute a finishing maneuver on it. Later. After I sleep. ;)

Debate's done. Trump came out and did his usual. Hillary was a lot more restrained and didn't hit as hard. Cooper and Raddatz had to explain some things to Trump. Some people almost had exploding livers from taking shots when their various things were mentioned

Same old, same old. Waiting on confirmation Pence is gone.

CES

I kind of like things like roads, decent education for my kids, police/fire department/ambulance if I need them, vaccinations and the resultant lack of plague, social safety net so I don't starve in the street, and having things regulated so I know what I'm buying theoretically won't poison/electrocute/explode me. Lots of other things too, but you get the idea.

Obviously other folks may prefer a more adventuresome lifestyle. But not liking some aspects of government doesn't strike me as a reason to burn it all down.

I kind of like things like roads, decent education for my kids, police/fire department/ambulance if I need them, vaccinations and the resultant lack of plague, social safety net so I don't starve in the street, and having things regulated so I know what I'm buying theoretically won't poison/electrocute/explode me. Lots of other things too, but you get the idea.

Obviously other folks may prefer a more adventuresome lifestyle. But not liking some aspects of government doesn't strike me as a reason to burn it all down.

Yeah, yeah.  But, the unanswered question is always how much of what the gov't spends is useful vs wasteful.

Though, this was my attempt at humor (which I admit thought was obvious given what I was responding to :( )  not to start the NGD discussion Part 10,381 of Gov't spending.

I get criticized for suggesting that a President Trump would be a catastrophe for America. But most people think Dubya was kind of a disaster for America, and it's not a stretch to imagine Trump will likely be worse. What's worse than a disaster? A catastrophe. QED. :D

Heh, I am on board saying the last 16 years have been, so maybe I should say "what's another 4"  :winkgrin:

Not really comfortable going into it (problem nothing too big in the scheme of things).  But, it isn't what the point is.  I am a little bit more libertarian than others. Just not comfortable with the government deciding what is best for me in every phase of my life.   Which is what I more and more feel like.   Most of you were angry with the TSA antics, and when the Snowden stuff came out, so you must have some limit to what you allow.

But, since, it realy does offend everyone to criticize the government.  I wlll no longer do so, unless someone else approves of criticism first in the thread.

I don't want it burned down, just limited.  I am a small-govt conservative, but not an anarchist.  I don't really understand, why I have to like govt in all aspects or hate it in all aspects.  I criticized wasteful spending, and overregulation (and not against regulation, just wish the politicians would stop and ask themselves whether it would solve more problems than it would create.  I do feel the response is "there is a problem, we must regulate the **** out of it, and if it causes 2 more problems we regulate the **** out of them)

BUt, this is all I will say bad about gov't, unless someone says it first in a thread.

The government sucks.  There, I've said it, Badg, so you don't need to worry.

Seriously, though, I think there is definitely room for criticism of our government.  There is wasteful spending.  There is overregulation.  There's also areas where we don't spend enough.  And areas that are woefully under-regulated.

The problem, at least IMO, is the damned polarization going on in this country.  It seems like people either want to tear down the government completely, or have an omnipresent government that regulates every aspect of our lives.  Or at least, that's how the two sides paint each other.

The reality is (again IMO), we need some government.  Some spending on infrastructure, on public security, on military, on social safety nets.  Some regulation of businesses to make sure their products and services are safe.  Some laws on things people can and cannot do.

The problem comes in defining what "some" means.  As a society, we seem to be losing the ability to compromise.  It feels like we're heading toward a society of absolutes.  Hell, two sentences back I just caught myself almost saying "we've lost the ability to compromise."  As if we're either able to compromise completely, or none at all -- no middle ground.  And I had to remind myself that life's not like that.

And I'm sure all of what I've said is no surprise to anybody here.  This is a community of fairly smart people.  And as I look at posts here, at how people (generally) get along, may argue but typically keep from being "my way or the highway" internet trolls, it gives me a little hope that we (as a whole society) can get past these current bumps in the road, figure out a way to smooth them out, and move forward.