Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

We've talked here about how Trump is being investigated by a DA in Georgia for intimidating and pressuring an election official to use his office to overturn the election.

So...

The Georgia Republican Party passed a resolution on Saturday to censure the official for not going along with Trump's scheme.

Really.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/557141-georgia-gop-censures-state-official-who-criticized-trump

I'd think any sane organization would wait to see whether Trump was indicted for his actions before censuring the victim of his actions.

But I guess we aren't talking about a sane organization....

Just now, archer said:

The Georgia Republican Party passed a resolution on Saturday to censure the official for not going along with Trump's scheme.

Really.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/557141-georgia-gop-censures-state-official-who-criticized-trump

I'd think any sane organization would wait to see whether Trump was indicted for his actions before censuring the victim of his actions.

This right here is why I'm so done.

I know way too many people who are essentially only talking about 'the liberal left cancel culture making the world like China' who can't see what the eff is going on in front of their face.  If I stopped talking to people who talked like that I'd have no friends I see face-to-face anymore, and half a family.

This is really not good.

54 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

This right here is why I'm so done.

I know way too many people who are essentially only talking about 'the liberal left cancel culture making the world like China' who can't see what the eff is going on in front of their face.  If I stopped talking to people who talked like that I'd have no friends I see face-to-face anymore, and half a family.

This is really not good.

There's a number of people, including family members, who I no longer discussion politics with (and no I didn't end a sentence with a preposition).

I don't think it's worth cutting myself off from family completely. It's kind of the only family you get even when you don't like their ideas on race, politics, religion, or whatever.

And I hold out hope that when they see something screwy going on that they'll bring it up in conversation and we can have an ever-so-delicate discussion about it that'll open the door to other discussions.

As for cancel culture, it existed long before "cancel culture" became a catchphrase. Liberals would get together on college campuses and protest when conservatives (pre-Trump conservatives) were invited to speak. And if the college didn't give in and uninvite the person, the liberals would show up to the event and make so much noise that the speaker couldn't be heard. That's been going on at various campuses for at least the last 35 years.

In the pre-Trump years when we were all democrats, I disagreed with silencing efforts because bad ideas deserved to be heard, discussed, and rejected. And the rare good idea which was put forward by an objectionable person deserved to be considered despite the source.

In the Trump era when so much political speech is anti-democratic and anti-republican crap but people swallow it without thought, I'm much more open to the idea of pre-emptive silencing. (Note that neither "democratic" or "republican" was capitalized because it wasn't a reference to the political parties but to the idea of democracy and the idea of a republic.)

“We’ve been fighting inflation that’s too low and interest rates that are too low now for a decade,” Yellen said, adding that “we want them to go back to” a normal interest rate environment

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/557160-yellen-says-higher-interest-rates-would-be-a-plus

That's Treasury Secretary Yellen.

1) We haven't been "fighting" an inflation rate that's too low or an interest rate that's too low, much less fighting it for a decade.

2) A normal interest rate environment would be an interest rate on a 10 year treasury bond of around 6%.

Currently we're paying only 2.2% for those and our yearly interest on the debt is $378 billion.

To give some context, that's 7.8% of the entire federal budget just to pay interest on the existing debt. 

So Yellen is saying that we're fighting to intentionally increase the yearly interest on our debt from $378 billion to $1.03 trillion.

Um...that's not what's been happening over the last decade. And it's not something that we should be looking forward to happening.

It might at some point be an unfortunate side effect of what happens. But there's no one in government who is wanting that to happen since that'd trigger a massive governmental crisis due to lack of money to pay interest on the debt.

IMO, someone needs to work with her on communication.

23 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I know way too many people who are essentially only talking about 'the liberal left cancel culture making the world like China' who can't see what the eff is going on in front of their face. 

I wonder if they scream about the "liberal left cancel culture" specifically to provide a distraction from their own shenanigans.

4 minutes ago, BarretWallace said:

I wonder if they scream about the "liberal left cancel culture" specifically to provide a distraction from their own shenanigans.

I mean, as far as family goes, they don't have much shenanigans.  I just don't think they weigh the literal politically-motivated overhaul of our elections as 'dangerous' as 'shitty online culture'.

I think people are taking for granted the idea that 'there's political corruption in our government and election system' anyway, and don't realize that yes, it actually can get much worse than it is.  And that the worsening of it will have terrible consequences for people's everyday lives, especially in the context of the de-powerment of employees, voters, etc.

Neither Cheney nor Romney could be called in any way "progressive." They voted with their party and with Trump's policies most of the time. I'm sure they'd be happy to capitalize on the cancel culture talking point if it's to their advantage. They just have enough integrity left that they won't support an outright lie being foisted on the American people that undermines democracy, and enough self-respect left that they won't kiss Trump's ring just to get reelected. It's appalling that even that bare minimum has nearly vanished from the GOP.

Last week, the NYTimes program "The Daily" talked to a reporter who has studied and interviewed Joe Manchin, trying to figure out what guides the thinking of the man who essentially has become the US Senate. The reporter says Manchin appears quite genuine in his belief that legislation must be bipartisan, the Senate must be collegial, and if you can't get a single Republican to back a Democratic bill then the Dems must be too extreme and unreasonable.

These are the politics he learned from his mentor Seb. Robert Byrd, who was once considered the "institutional memory" of the Senate. Manchin doesn't seem to have accepted that the Republican Party of today is not the Republican Party of Byrd's day. That it's possible the reason the other fellow won't meet you halfway is because he's crazy -- or no longer interested in politics at all.

Dean Shomshak

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) on Tuesday, "I understand from what's been testified to the Forest Service and the BLM [Bureau of Land Management], you want very much to work on the issue of climate change," Gohmert said to Jennifer Eberlien, associate deputy chief of the National Forest System, during a House Natural Resources Committee hearing.

Gohmert said to Eberlien, added that a past director of NASA had once told him that orbits of the moon and the Earth were changing.

"Is there anything that the National Forest Service, or BLM can do to change the course of the moon's orbit or the Earth's orbit around the sun?" Gohmert asked Eberlien. "Obviously they would have profound effects on our climate."

"I would have to follow up with you on that one, Mr. Gohmert," Eberlien responded. 

"Well, if you figure out a way that you in the Forest Service can make that change, I'd like to know," Gohmert added.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/557558-gohmert-asks-if-federal-agencies-can-change-earth-or-moons-orbits-to-fight

Sure, we'll get on that right away. Just as soon as we make sure Guam doesn't capsize.

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/11/politics/mike-nearman-oregon/index.html

Well, some states show sense at times anyway.  Vote was 59-1.

That shows the effect of a lack of a Mitch McConnell to hold the Republicans together in opposition.

I say we be generous and send our Mitch McConnell to Oregon permanently. You know, to "help" the Republican Party there.