Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Richard Nixon got the United States out of Vietnam, opened diplomatic relations with China, and began the escalation of defense spending (later taken up to 11 by Reagan) that ultimately drove the Soviet Union to insolvency.

What have any of today's GQP clowns done?

Just in case we were focusing too much on one bad decision

The Supreme Court overturned a New York state law on Thursday that required anyone who wanted to carry concealed firearms in public to show they had "proper cause" indicating they had a specific need. The justices in the 6-3 ruling said the law violated the Second Amendment.

And, coming soon, a ruling that (could) gut the ability of the EPA (and other agencies) to regulate pretty much anything.

The Supreme Court case that could gut the EPA’s power to fight climate change - Vox

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Richard Nixon got the United States out of Vietnam, opened diplomatic relations with China, and began the escalation of defense spending (later taken up to 11 by Reagan) that ultimately drove the Soviet Union to insolvency.

Nixon also had enough of a sense of shame to resign before he could be impeached. Trump and his imitators are literally shameless.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Exactly my point. 

CES

On 6/25/2022 at 12:03 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Americans seeking abortion get help from Mexico

Where's the "sh**hole country" now, Donald Trump?

(Absolutely no derogation intended against America and Americans, just juxtaposed for irony and to give credit to Mexico.)

On that note: 

https://www.al.com/news/2022/06/roe-v-wade-disney-amazon-netflix-expected-to-cover-employees-travel-benefits-for-abortions.html

Some did earlier.  Amazon announced they would back on May 4th...the day after the draft opinion was leaked.

And related

https://www.axios.com/2022/05/05/abortion-travel-benefit-uber-apple-amazon-lyft

Lyft has announced they'll pay the attorney fees if a driver gets sued under the Oklahoma law.

The second story is in some ways more interesting;  the first lists basically a bunch of entertainment-industry companies, plus Amazon which is an Everything company.  They tend to lean Democratic quite often anyway.  But the Axios story lists Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, and JP Morgan.  As well as Apple and Microsoft...so combined, that's a LOT of workers.

What I hope is, this gets reflected in their political contributions.  And maybe this shows the pushback will be stronger than I anticipate, come November.

4 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Many companies have learned that taking care of their employees makes them more loyal and more productive, and positive public relations translates to more customers.

Doing the right thing for the wrong reasons is still doing the right thing.

If my old company understood that, I'd probably still be an employee there. Even when they asked me to come back they offered no incentive for me to do so.

4 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

If my old company understood that, I'd probably still be an employee there. Even when they asked me to come back they offered no incentive for me to do so.

Literally told them I was leaving over this, which scared the Director so bad he ran (on injured feet) to the CEO to tell him.  He asked 'do you want anything' but gave no offers, and so I left.

Many companies chronically underpay their staff.  Chronically offer poor health insurance.  Chronically avoid any inconvenience to their internal systems or administration while applying incredible inconvenience (and even harm) to their employees.  Anything they are not mandated to do, they won't do.  😕

30 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Literally told them I was leaving over this, which scared the Director so bad he ran (on injured feet) to the CEO to tell him.  He asked 'do you want anything' but gave no offers, and so I left.

Many companies chronically underpay their staff.  Chronically offer poor health insurance.  Chronically avoid any inconvenience to their internal systems or administration while applying incredible inconvenience (and even harm) to their employees.  Anything they are not mandated to do, they won't do.  😕

You may not like it, but this is what peak capitalism looks like.

I generally try to avoid Fox News, but...

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/liv-golf-scrutiny-officials-oregon-event

Synopsis:  

this from the local CBS station

Fallon Smart was 15 when she was killed by a speeding driver in Southeast Portland. The driver was a 20-year-old Saudi citizen in college in Oregon. He was arrested but somehow fled the country and went back to Saudi Arabia — despite his passport being confiscated.

Then the Fox News article...his bail was posted by the Saudi consulate, and his tracking devices were somehow removed.  Then still somehow got out of the country.....  Huh.

And now the LIV Golf tour is in Oregon.  This was only 5 years ago;  it's not been forgotten.

There could be a move to try to shut the event down with, hopefully, just a sit-in, nothing violent.  I daresay that any recognized players won't get a pleasant reception.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

Well, on the one hand, this shows that Trump actually did want to be at the Capitol with his mob, rather than hiding at the White House.

OTOH his characterization of Hutchinson as "bad news," but also that he "hardly knew who she was," is classic Trump for anyone who says anything about him that he thinks makes him look bad.