Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

9 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Very old story -- if you have enough money and connections, any law can be circumvented. The people who have come to expect that are among our biggest problems.

Among my people, that's called The Golden Rule: The people who have the gold make the rules. 

13 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Among my people, that's called The Golden Rule: The people who have the gold make the rules. 

But that's missing the point.  The kid who hit the girl was a 20 year old student.  He wasn't a nobody, probably;  getting to go to school in the US suggests decent money.  But there's nothing I can readily find, that says he's anything significant.

Yet the Saudi *government* made it an act of the state to allow him to flee the country to avoid prosecution.

This is multiple levels above The Golden Rule, IMO.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019/02/saudi-students-escaping-us-justice-what-we-know-and-dont-know.html

To date, The Oregonian/OregonLive has found 17 cases across the U.S. and Canada where university students from Saudi Arabia facing serious criminal charges have disappeared. They include men, from ages 19 to 28 at the time, accused of rape, manslaughter and felony hit-and-run. Some of these cases go as far back as 1988. State and federal officials, including prosecutors, Homeland Security investigators and the FBI, have confirmed that at least eight of these defendants, including three from Oregon, have returned to Saudi Arabia or left North America. Not all of them come from affluent or politically connected families. For example, Abdulrahman Sameer Noorah, accused of killing Portland teen Fallon Smart, was raised by a single mother, a kindergarten teacher, in the Saudi city of Jeddah, according to court records and interviews.

So this is pattern and practice.  The Saudi government is, by ANY standard of justice, flouting the law routinely.  To be sure, trying to call them to the carpet does run afoul of the Golden Rule at the national level;  oil is the lifeblood of the economy still.  But with that, and all the other issues...blacklisting anything and everything associated with the Saudis looks...pretty darn reasonable.  

It's been disappointing to see right wing media successfully direct the narrative to the irrelevant grabbing-the-wheel story.  The man knowingly directed armed insurrectionists to attack the capitol and clearly intended to lead them himself.  That almost certainly counts as levying war against the United States.  It absolutely counts as seditious conspiracy, and you can tack on any number of obstruction charges for the witness intimidation attempts that happened on Monday.  It's not a smoking gun, it's a smoking arsenal.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Well, the Environmental Protection Agency was nice while it lasted.

Supreme Court rules against EPA effort to regulate power plant emissions in major climate suit

It's not the ramifications for climate change that bother me so much as the reasoning that regulatory agencies have no authority to do anything.  I reckon the FDA is up next.

Just now, Old Man said:

It's not the ramifications for climate change that bother me so much as the reasoning that regulatory agencies have no authority to do anything.  I reckon the FDA is up next.

I mean, it bothers me because literally everyone is fooling themselves at thinking they are making "the correct financial decision for their retirement" by supporting these policies.  Retiring is hard when your grocery bill is higher than rent.........

3 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I mean, it bothers me because literally everyone is fooling themselves at thinking they are making "the correct financial decision for their retirement" by supporting these policies.  Retiring is hard when your grocery bill is higher than rent.........

Our chain had to dump the first major corn-on-the-cob sale of the summer last week because what with one crop failure or another, Vancouver buyers couldn't get corn anywhere on the continent. Meanwhile, here, our warehouse keeps dumping more cold crops (rappini, chard, kale; also broccoli and cauliflower, but people like those) on us because in this corner of the continent, it is so bizarrely cold and wet. 

5 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/california-takes-down-firearms-dashboard-after-gun-owner-data-are-leaked-11656535100

This was not okay. Seriously?! That list includes judges and law enforcement officers home addresses. 

Very upsetting.

This sort of thing happens more than one would like to think.  AZ had the same problem with the 'report election fraud!' site 😕

https://threatpost.com/trump-site-alleging-az-election-fraud-exposes-voter-data/161068/

IIRC there was a story in AZ about voter information being leaked that was apparently only republican voters who voted in person... interesting in how they obtained/figured out that data, IF it was true...