What is your most favorite/interesting hero that you have created?

Shadow7

Although I tried this post idea in the Dark Champions forum and got no response, I wanted to try it here....

I have always been impressed with the clever and original ideas people come up with for their superheroes.  What is your most favorite/interesting hero that you have created?  I am always looking for new ideas.....thanks!

The first one I created was The Flame. Firepowers which naturally included a variety of energy blasts and flight. He did not go all human torch. After 'radiation accidents' I was able to up the power level and add new twists on powers like affects desolid entangle. He was the team leader and eventually one of the more powerful of the group.

The second was the Magician. Here I got to play with having a character with a multitude of different abilities which were justified by magic. So flight, an ego blast, teleport, desolidification and his signature power a specifiable energy blast. Cold, heat, lightning etc. Very useful in taking on those with a vulnerability. Storn Cook did a pic of him that ended up in the 2nd Edition M+M rulebook.

Caveat:  I mostly run games, so most of the characters I create are villains.  But there have been some heroes too (mostly NPCs).

I'll always have a soft spot for my namesake, Bolo, who was my real intro into Champions.  He had electrical powers (an NND damage shield and the ability to teleport, plus clinging) and in addition to his main metal bolos (stretching + extra STR for Grab only + swinging) he had a Multipower with a variety of unusual bolos (running drain, force wall, flash, etc.) that came in handy on many an occasion.  He wasn't a powerhouse in any way, but his versatility helped him save his more-powerful teammates many a time.

One of my favorite long-term plotline NPC heroes back in 4th edition was John Doe.  The PCs found him in a Malachite secret lab, suffering from amnesia and with the ability to use any weapon (or innocuous items as weapons) and sense weaknesses in anything and anybody.  He hung out with the PCs and even helped them on many an occasion (with one of the players running him in combat, so he wasn't a GM-PC).  He was actually unknowingly a plant by Malachite, there to find the PC heroes' weaknesses over time.  When they had the final confrontation with Malachite and he gave the command word to turn John Doe against the hero team, I was surprised at how hard they worked to break him out of Malachite's conditioning rather than just put him down so they could take out Malachite.

Another long-term NPC hero evolved remarkably over the course of the entire campaign.  He started out as a anonymous PRIMUS Iron Guard agent in one of the first adventures.  When a PC heroine (Tempest) was chatting with him and asked his name, I gave him the code name Rocker and decided in his free time he played in a garage band with some friends.  He invited the heroes to see him play, and it took off from there.  He and Tempest started dating, and then I had his team mostly wiped out (he was the only survivor) by a rogue Minuteman robot, so the PCs helped him through his PTSD.  And then a villain group seemingly killed Tempest, with some of them captured by the heroes.  A mentalist villain who actually liked the hero team used his powers on Rocker to get him to kill several of the captured villains in their PRIMUS holding cells as revenge for killing Tempest.  (Since she was Rocker's girlfriend, it didn't take much work on the mentalist's part.)  Though the heroes proved he had been mind controlled, Rocker still lost his position in PRIMUS, so the heroes broke into the PRIMUS base and stole the captured high-tech battlesuit of one of the now-dead villains, modifying it slightly and giving it to Rocker to turn him into a superhero.

In a past campaign, the PC heroes worked with a teen who had cosmic powers:  Cobalt Blue.  Writeup-wise, he was basically just a cosmic VPP.  But his inexperience and willingness to listen to the PC heroes' ideas on ways to use his powers creatively made him well-received by the players, and they took him under their wings to a surprising extent.

More recently, I wrote up a character based on an idea death tribble posted in the Hero Theme Team thread:  Rhode Island Red.  He was intended to be a bit of a joke, but he was very well received by the players and ended up being surprisingly effective in combat (until he was flashed, at which point he became near useless).  Based on player reactions, he's one of those characters who will probably make guest appearances or be consulted in the future.

The group of NPCs I sold to Palladium, The Rat Pack. I used them in several campaigns as back up for the player heroes. Parsifal, grizzled weapons master, Defender, wielder of a mystic shield, El Diablo, dead man turned demon, Manitou, ghost woman able to build bodies from local materials, Thena, demigoddess, Death Mask, bonded with a metal mask of power, and Dust Devil, a tornado with claws.

If one of these guys showed up, things were about to go into the grinder.

CES   

I created an NPC hero to help the PCs who are all new to the game.  His name is Nocturnal, and he is a "resurrected" hero who has returned back from the dead and is looking for redemption for his past sins.  Since he can only come out at night or places of darkness, he truly is Nocturnal.   

I'd have to say that my favorite builds to play were Ink, who was based on a similar idea to the character Cloak, only without the cloak, drug addiction/abduction backstory, and without the need of a Dagger to keep his power in check. He did have the ability to envelope his targets in darkness and instill upon them a whammy straight at the primordial fear of the dark.

The other I named Dirt. As in "Older Than..." Dirt was a mentalist from the "old" days; a first generation hero in this universe. He'd had a career, retired, but come back at the age of 60 because these young guys were screwing it all up! He was cantankerous, waspish, but a loyal team player, and a blast to play, even for those around me who had to listen to a lot of, "Why in my day....!"

My favorite character was a mentalist called The Living EGO. The name was more a testament to his arrogance than his powers. He had a large degree of overconfidence and enjoyed using his powers to humiliate foes("Hey, they're the bad guys, right? They deserve it.) Needless to say, he made a lot of enemies. Eventually, he was killed in a lethal explosion by the villain Ankylosaur. I then moved on to playing a powered armored character named Electron. In the course of events, it was learned that The Living EGO's astral form had survived. Electron was killed later on, but his body was used as a vessel for EGO's astral form. He used it to psychokinetically recreate his old appearance and went back to fighting crime. He ended up humiliating Ankylosaur so bad that the villain retired from his criminal career.

Kurzhaan the Conqueror, a werewolf and sorcerer who got yanked forward in time from the ancient Atlantean Age by some D.E.M.O.N. personnel, promptly demonstrating why robed cultists should be careful about summoning someone who spent much of his time in Conan-esque adventures fighting wizards. I based a lot of his personality on Marvel's depiction of Hercules, so he's a boisterous thrillseeker who loves fighting and hits on anything with a pulse.
(That's him to the left in my current icon.)

One of the first characters I made was a Winner in the Eskimo beauty pageant, they had called upon the pageant a joke and a Primitive Spirit took revenge on the beautiful winner of the show and turned her into a blood thirsty animal.  The spirit could not force her personality to change and so instead of becoming a villain she harnessed the power of Spirit and became Amorak (Inuit word meaning "Wolf-Being").

Got the name from a Farley Mowat book and ran with it...

My Forum name was supposed to be Amorakca, but I messed up in creating the name and just left it...

Circe -- a male 4th Edition character originally built on 200 points whose name was derived from that of the same-named Greek goddess of magic .  (No relation to the female DC Comics character of the same name other than the source of the name/reference.)  The character was a modern day magician ... with the expected skills of a magician:

• Acting
  • Concealment;
  • Contortionist;
  • Disguise;
  • KS: Arcane Lore
  • KS: Occult Lore
  • KS: Stage Magic
  • Lockpicking;
  • Oratory
  • Persuasion
  • PS: Stage Magician
  • Shadowing;
  • Slight of Hand;
  • Stealth; and
  • Ventriloquism.

In most respects Circe was a typical human; think straight 8's in all primary physical characteristics except DEX, which was 23 to represent the dexterity of a stage magician.  Similarly, INT and PRE were both 18's to cover the perceptiveness and stage presence of a stage magician ... while EGO was 14 and SPD was 4. The character also had Instant Change usable for prepared disguises.  (Curtain goes up, Instant Change, curtain comes down -- applause!)

Talent-wise, Circe was Ambidextrous and Double-Jointed -- again, things you might expect from an expert stage magician.  Beyond the aforementioned, Circe had a 60pt magic-based Multipower reserve in which the following powers were available (in various builds) -- and all of which required Gestures and Incantations (resulting in the reserve also taking them):

• Telekinesis -- think levitation and the like;
  • Invisibility -- self and others/objects; and
  • Force Wall -- often used to make things float in air, obscure them, etc.

Aside from magic, Circe was normal in all other respects -- making him a glass jaw in game play ... which was fine as he was intended to be a support character. He had a penchant for anything pertaining to the arcane and/or occult ... which is what often pulled him into adventures (aka got him into trouble).

I've created Paladin (powered armor with an energy mace) a couple of times for different campaigns. He has the distinction of being ripped off by recreated by another player in the group in a later campaign.

My current favorite is Carver, a flying telekinetic surfer dude. He's got a big personality and doesn't take being a hero too seriously, which may bite him at some point. He was a lot of fun to play, though.

My favorite character that I have made was a Dark Champions character named Jørn Jansen. He wielded a Taurus 454 and has the ability to fire off an entire cylinder of his gun in a phase. This is also paired with his acrobatic abilities and amazing stalking ability. His one main problem is that he is constantly overconfident. 

One role-played scenario

Characters: 

Jørn

Dexter Ambrose, Crime Leader

Chastie, Fellow PC

Jørn: "A-Ha! Finally, we have you cornered!"

Ambrose: (Starting to Pull a Weapon) "Fine, you win!" 

Jørn: (Pulling out a pair of handcuffs, walking to Ambrose) "Put your damn hands behind your back!"

Chastie: (After a made PER Roll, that Jørn could not make because of his overconfidence) "Look Out!"

Ambrose fires and misses. Jørn responds and fires a 6 cylinder into Ambrose. 

Jørn: (Blowing off his gun) "Too easy."

I think my favorite PC I've ever created is Pebbles, who could turn her body into Living Gravel - think Sandman powers. She was a former villain who did a face-turn and was trying to make up for her past crimes. Also being Hunted by her super-stalked ex-boyfriend Bam Bam. A fun personality and a great power build if I do say so myself. Sadly, I've never actually gotten to play her: she's one of the pre-gen PCs for the convention/demo games I run.

My first Champions character IIRC was some kind of living plant whose only power was the ability to steal other supers' powers ala Rogue. That was a lot of fun too - until we realized just how badly we'd misunderstood the Transfer rules and that it wasn't actually possible to do what I was doing in the allotted points. Ah well...

Juno is the actually Ancient Immortal who was considered a Goddess by the Roman Empire.  The truth is the was just trying to set a good example.  After the fall of the Roman Empire she explore the world, first with Marco Polo, and then with Christopher Columbus.  Eventually she ended up in the Colonies during the American Revolution and was recruited by George Washington.  She served as a U.S. Marshal in the Old West, received a Medical Degree from John Hopkins.  Juno began a career as a stage actress in the 1920s, worked with the Office of Strategic Services during World War Two, and was the star of a TV version of a patriotic superheroine in the 1970s.  

Think of Denise Richards in a red gown, gold necklace and bracelets, and black gladiator sandals.

Raven -- A super martial artist with reality-twisting powers. She was the only lucid dreamer in the collective dream that is our world, so she was able to manipulate it. She had most of Neo's tricks from The Matrix, plus she could make doors and windows appear where they'd never been before, or disappear to trap you somewhere, or step through a door into a distant location. Dream logic.

Legion -- A shapeshifter who lived by the credo that the best shapeshifter is the one you never know exists. She pretended to be random ordinary citizens recruited to work for a gun-toting, mind-clouding pulp avenger (i.e., the Shadow or some close copy) in his fight against crime. She would very occasionally appear briefly as Legion (the Shadow guy) just to add verisimilitude to the con, but mostly just acted as his numerous fictional agents. She never ever shapeshifted in front of anyone.

Black Knight -- nonogenarian WWII vet magically restored to his youthful appearance with low-level superstrength and a healing ability that would make Wolverine grind his teeth in envy. After a lifetime playing it safe and coloring inside the lines (he'd promised his late wife "no more risks!" after returning from WWII and he always keeps his promises), he's out to make up for lost time. He'll try anything once, twice if he likes it. He has no resistant defenses, he just regenerates so fast that most attacks simply won't faze him (in game mechanical terms, he does have armor and damage reduction, but the SFX is he takes the damage and heals instantly).

Looking back, almost all of my HERO PC's have been pastiche/homages of Marvel and DC characters (or other fictional non-super characters).  I have always been far more fascinated with the "how to" than the "why".  I guess that's why I enjoy responding to so many "how to" threads on this forum.

:)

HM

Shard - Mystic/Mage and Metamorph. An former member of The Trimegistus Council. Assigned to clean up the shattered remains of the Elemental Gems after they were destroyed in Vibora Bay.

As part of his thesis on Mystical Artifacts he Enchanted the Shards of the Elemental Gem into his Soul Gem (Grant Astral Form) and Bound powerful Elemental into them. Granting him Air, Earth, Fire, and Water Elemental Hybrid Forms. Later adding the shard of the Bloodmoon Stone and adding a Werewolf Form.

Never played, but one my favourite concepts.

I make my characters similar to my favorite Marvel/DC characters as well. My latest inspiration is Afro Brutality, the Super Funky Soul of Righteousness. A total rip off of Ghost Rider but the normal character blessed/cursed? with the Super Funky Soul of Righteousness is a racist white cop. So his new found obsession with black culture and the accidental change when witnessing the weak and powerless  being victimized should offer good role playing opportunities. I get into heroes in inner conflict and turmoil, and know Kung Fu!