Movies and TV Shows That are Great

Cassandra

Talking of Trolls.....

Trollhunter 2010

This is a film in Norwegian with English subtitles and is a found footage film. The people making the film initially are on the trail of a bear poacher but it turns out he is hunting something else. Trolls. The people accompany the Trollhunter as he tries to stop a problem with trolls.

Time for two

Ladyhawke 1985

Yes I am playing to the gallery as I know there are people here who like it. The story of a knight who by night is a wolf and a the Comte d'Anjou's daughter who by day is a hawk due to a curse. And how they attempt to break the curse. Rutger Hauer is the knight and Michelle Pfeiffer is Anjou.

The Ladykillers 1955

A group of criminals hide in the rooms of an eccentric old lady while they plan and execute a robbery at Kings Cross station in London. Unfortunately the eccentric old lady uncovers the fact that the crooks have stolen money leading to problems for the gang. This is a dark comedy and stars Peter Sellers, Alec Guinness and Herbert Lom.

On 10/17/2019 at 7:48 PM, Cancer said:

Tora! Tora! Tora!  ... History/Biography movie of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Older, and now redolent of a bygone era, but similar genre, the TV series Victory at Sea.

And much better then Pearl Harbor.

The woman pilot who was giving a flying lesson when the Japanese showed up survived the attack, but died in March of 1942 in a plane crash.

I would like to nominate my favorite romantic comedy: Much Ado About Nothing.

Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson are amazing, naturally. Denzel Washington does a fantastic job in an unexpected role. Michael Keaton is hilarious as the dim-witted constable. Even Keanu Reeves stepped up his game and gave a good performance. And Patrick Doyle's music was amazing.

16 hours ago, death tribble said:

Surely some mistake ?

There was a film called Highlander with Sean Connery and Christopher Lambert which had music by Queen but there was no sequel. I think that everyone else here would testify that there is no such thing as Highlander 2.

No more or less a hilarious mistake than some of the subjective opinions posted to this thread. 

Plus it is satire. Obviously some people here missed that. 

Inner Space (1987), starring Dennis Quaid as a naval aviator hired as a test "pilot" for a submersible getting shrunk (akin to the 1966 movie Fantastic Voyage) in a research lab to be injected into a rabbit, and Martin Short as a hypochondriac grocery store clerk whom Quaid is actually injected into after a rival organization attacks the research lab.  Meg Ryan also appears as Quaid's love interest (and becomes Short's crush) who gets involved in the various hijinks as Short and Quaid seek the piece of the miniaturization technology stolen by the rival organization, so they can un-shrink Quaid before his submersible's air supply runs out.  I'm not normally a fan of Martin Short, but I enjoyed his performance in this movie.   I'm not sure I'd call it a great movie, but it's one that I can re-watch many times and still enjoy it each time.

17 hours ago, Bazza said:

No more or less a hilarious mistake than some of the subjective opinions posted to this thread. 

Plus it is satire. Obviously some people here missed that. 

1. I do not do emojis

2. You don't like Blade Runner so maybe, just maybe you would like a mythical film called Highlander 2 which as I am sure you now know does not exist.

3. If I did not call you on it someone would have.

The Searchers 1956

An American Civil War veteran returns to his brothers home but after said home is attacked he spends years trying to find the last survivor of the Comanches attack. One of three films that showed John Wayne could act. Also stars Jeffrey Hunter and Natalie Wood as the niece who Wayne is looking for as an adult. 

6 hours ago, death tribble said:

1. I do not do emojis

2. You don't like Blade Runner so maybe, just maybe you would like a mythical film called Highlander 2 which as I am sure you now know does not exist.

3. If I did not call you on it someone would have.

You’re funny. Do you do stand up comedy? 

1. Do you do satire, or sarcasm?

2. I could retort with something similar, but can’t be bothered. 

3. Jeff did. You must have missed that. 

I pity the person who post to this thread who absolutely love either Hawk the Slayer, Mazes and Monsters or Plan 9. 

I remember Cancer has strong feelings about Plan 9. 

11 minutes ago, death tribble said:

The Searchers 1956

An American Civil War veteran returns to his brothers home but after said home is attacked he spends years trying to find the last survivor of the Comanches attack. One of three films that showed John Wayne could act. Also stars Jeffrey Hunter and Natalie Wood as the niece who Wayne is looking for as an adult. 

Agree that a lot of people have stated that it is great. One of these day’s I’ll see it. 

The Longest Day (1962)

One of the last war epics to be shot in black and white, this follows the lead-up to the Normandy invasion in a series of vignettes featuring different parts of the event, from the perspectives of both sides. This gives an idea of how wide in scope and how complex Operation Overlord was, at the expense of each character getting relatively little screen time. Despite this, John Wayne did what he usually did -- take over the film in a good way with his incredible, inexplicable charisma. But even he has a small part relative to what he usually played.

Dwight Eisenhower was intrigued enough by the project to want to play himself, but the producers decided the former President had aged too badly -- instead, a non-actor chosen for his resemblance to the general was chosen who never set foot in front of a camera again.

On 11/20/2019 at 2:18 PM, Pariah said:

I would like to nominate my favorite romantic comedy: Much Ado About Nothing.

Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson are amazing, naturally. Denzel Washington does a fantastic job in an unexpected role. Michael Keaton is hilarious as the dim-witted constable. Even Keanu Reeves stepped up his game and gave a good performance. And Patrick Doyle's music was amazing.

hard to go wrong with the combination of Branagh and Shakespeare. Henry V is the definitive version of Shakespeare's nationalist-propaganda masterpiece. 

10 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

hard to go wrong with the combination of Branagh and Shakespeare. Henry V is the definitive version of Shakespeare's nationalist-propaganda masterpiece. 

And Branagh's version of Hamlet is not only superbly acted and beautifully set, but remains the only movie version that covers the ENTIRE play.

Back to School (1986)

Rodney Dangerfield, then best known for his standup routines, plays middle-aged retail men's wear magnate Thornton Melon. His father, a immigrant tailor, had wanted him to go to college, but he loved tailoring and chose that route into wealth and fame. Now his own son is off to college and having trouble, so he follows him to his university to help him out and reluctantly enrolls as a freshman. Comedy ensues as his real-world experience collides with the theories of an arrogant business professor.

This is a classic fish-out-of-water comedy. There are numerous lovely set-pieces -- Melon sending his secretary to take notes in class when business calls him away, showing surprising skill as a diver, and a closing scene where he addresses the entire student body at graduation. Dangerfield, at the peak of his fame and comedic talent, is really, really good in it. 

The Addams Family (1991) and Addams Family Values (1993)

Charles Addams was a cartoonist known for the macabre characters he drew for prestigious magazines. There have been many adaptations into film and television, but these are the best of them. It's the brilliant set-piece scenes that are worth the price of admission, but the real appeal is the amazing chemistry between Raul Julia's Gomez and Angelica Huston's Morticia. They are one of the hottest screen couples of their generation. Christina Ricci is also brilliant as Wednesday, a little girl who seems slightly "off" and the role model for a generation of weird children (who turned into gloriously weird adults). The whole series is a celebration of the unique and of the resilience of strong family bonds.

I have not seen the new animated film, which presents the closest visual approximation to the characters as Addams drew them but was roundly panned by critics.

45 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Back to School (1986)

Rodney Dangerfield, then best known for his standup routines, plays middle-aged retail men's wear magnate Thornton Melon. His father, a immigrant tailor, had wanted him to go to college, but he loved tailoring and chose that route into wealth and fame. Now his own son is off to college and having trouble, so he follows him to his university to help him out and reluctantly enrolls as a freshman. Comedy ensues as his real-world experience collides with the theories of an arrogant business professor.

This is a classic fish-out-of-water comedy. There are numerous lovely set-pieces -- Melon sending his secretary to take notes in class when business calls him away, showing surprising skill as a diver, and a closing scene where he addresses the entire student body at graduation. Dangerfield, at the peak of his fame and comedic talent, is really, really good in it. 

I remember very little of this movie, but I loved the bit with Kurt Vonnegut.

8 hours ago, Sundog said:

And Branagh's version of Hamlet is not only superbly acted and beautifully set, but remains the only movie version that covers the ENTIRE play.

In Blackadder Back and Forth he goes back in time and punches William Shakespeare in the face for Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet.  When Shakespeare asks "Who's Kenneth Branagh?", Blackadder replies "I'm going to tell him you said that.  It should make him very unhappy."

19 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Hard to go wrong with the combination of Branagh and Shakespeare. Henry V is the definitive version of Shakespeare's nationalist-propaganda masterpiece. 

8 hours ago, Sundog said:

...and the final scene between Hamlet and Laertes is filmed like an action movie finale, which is cool.