Coronavirus

Steve

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

But I grew up with the constant fear that the world could end in nuclear fire at any moment. We're still here. So I'm not willing to abandon hope in the power of reason.

In 1999 I put together a time capsule to be opened by my great-great-grandchildren (maybe great-great-great-grandchildren?) in 2101.  In it, I included a journal where, in addition to writing down what was going on in our lives at that time, I also recall writing some particularly optimistic opinions about the way things were going in the world at that time. 

I'm worried that my great-greats- and great-great-greats will read what I wrote, look back at our current history, and say, "Boy, was he a fool..." 

47 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

In 1999 I put together a time capsule to be opened by my great-great-grandchildren (maybe great-great-great-grandchildren?) in 2101.  In it, I included a journal where, in addition to writing down what was going on in our lives at that time, I also recall writing some particularly optimistic opinions about the way things were going in the world at that time. 

I'm worried that my great-greats- and great-great-greats will read what I wrote, look back at our current history, and say, "Boy, was he a fool..." 

In 1999 it felt like civilization had won the game.  The Cold War was over, the Chinese were open for business, any remaining dictators were getting stomped, and the internet was going to usher in a new utopia of cross-border free speech and commerce. 

But you won't need to worry what your descendants will think, because they will have forgotten how to read cursive.

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

I got jabbed with the updated booster and flu vaccine yesterday. So far the only obvious side effect is two slightly sore shoulders. No magnetic powers at ALL, I'm disappointed. (I'm sure the lycanthropy is coincidence.)

Dean Shomshak

That's not lycanthropy, it's just time for your annual shave and body wax.

On 11/10/2022 at 7:52 AM, Pariah said:

Lady P and I are both negative. I got a booster a couple of weeks ago at my annual physical, so that probably helped. 

Good news on the tests.

We had our boosters last weekend, and flu shots.  The flu arm started out faster, but the COVID arm got more sore for longer.

A bit of manageable discomfort not even worth a tylenol isn't a big deal for either, though.

I have almost a month before I'm eligible for another COVID booster under my provincial government's policy. I still take precautions, so I think my odds are good I'll survive until then.

Besides, it's un-American to die before you complete ALL your Christmas shopping.

Oh...wait.......ummmmmmm...never mind.............

I have almost a month before I'm eligible for another COVID booster under my provincial government's policy. I still take precautions, so I think my odds are good I'll survive until then.

I think that was Booster #2.  I rather liked having one on July 1 and the next on Jan 1, but they did not give me a standing invitation :). 

Given te state of my provincial government, delay seems unwise...

Got three shots today: COVID booster, flu, and shingles.  So far the arm that got the shingles shot is the one that bothers me most.

(I got chicken pox in 1960, before the vaccine was developed.  Ditto for measles, rubella, and mumps, though the others were scattered over the following four years.)

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.rawstory.com/medical-community-frets-over-fate-of-twitter/

That would be a deep loss for medical experts, who have used Twitter since the start of the Covid pandemic as a tool to quickly gather information, share their research, communicate public health messages and forge new collaborations.

The pandemic was a "tipping point for the use of social media as a primary resource for researchers," Jason Kindrachuk, a virologist at the University of Manitoba in Canada, told AFP.

As the coronavirus began its global march in January 2020, researchers embarked on studies to understand how the virus spreads, its health effects, and how best to protect oneself.

They shared findings immediately on Twitter to assist the wider medical community and an anxious public, often in the form of "preprints" -- early versions of scientific papers before they are submitted to a journal.

"In the middle of a pandemic, the ability to rapidly share information is critical for knowledge translation and dissemination, and Twitter is able to do this in a way that is typically not feasible for textbooks or journals," said a commentary published in the Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine.