Coronavirus

Steve

2 hours ago, GM Joe said:

Wow, lots of careful folks seem to be getting it now. I hope you both get better soon. :(

(I have dental surgery scheduled for next Wednesday. It's either that or lose my two lower front teeth. But oh how I dread it...not so much for the considerable pain I'll be in afterward, but the chance I'll get COVID while I'm there with my mouth hanging open for a couple of hours.)

It's a consequence of things opening back up, combined with the exceptional mobility of the virus.  I've noted that multiple broadcasters have been out due to it, for example.  Travel's a big factor, I suspect.

Had to get a crown on a back tooth that was starting to crack.  This was in a window when it was possible, so I just got it done.  The dental office took more than normal precautions, plus, every dental visit I've had, the personnel were all wearing masks.  Covid is actually, I suspect, the *lesser* risk.  I had to have my upper right front tooth pulled a few years ago...and get a bone injection because the socket was in bad shape.  AND this was during a thoroughly MISERABLE, hard-core periodontal cleaning.  (Yeah, I screwed up for years, and this was the bill coming due.)  Antibiotics before.  Antibiotics for a few days after.  Periogard (prescription antibiotic mouth rinse) for a couple weeks.  Because everything there was basically one big, semi-open sore just *begging* to be infected.  So they're taking all precautions to prevent that.  Covid's just an add-on.

It might be prudent to wear a mask for a while, when you're out...that's if you're not doing it anyway.  

4 hours ago, Hermit said:

Well, I've got it, and I can say I'm not enjoying it. It would be much worse if I didn't have the shots I know but I do feel like grumbling anyway

I had it a few months back and, while I agree it was not pleasant, it was much like any bad cold I've had in the past 25 years or so.  I would not have known it was COVID had I not self-tested.  And I was very glad I was vaccinated (with booster), and that I was still "masking in motion" so I could be more confident I had not infected anyone around me.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

It might be prudent to wear a mask for a while, when you're out...that's if you're not doing it anyway.  

I'm still doing that indoors around groups of people, on public transit etc. And sanitizing my hands after I touch anything that multiple people also touched. I intend to keep it up for the foreseeable future. Besides minimizing my risk of catching COVID, I haven't had a cold or 'flu in over two years, and I'd like to keep it that way.

2 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

I had it a few months back and, while I agree it was not pleasant, it was much like any bad cold I've had in the past 25 years or so.  I would not have known it was COVID had I not self-tested.  And I was very glad I was vaccinated (with booster), and that I was still "masking in motion" so I could be more confident I had not infected anyone around me.

I had it too, eight or nine months ago. Likewise, no worse than a bad cold for two days, then the symptoms started to fade, and were gone in a week. Isolating was annoying but not too problematic. I was fully vaccinated when I caught it, and I have no doubt the outcome would have been much worse if I wasn't.

6 hours ago, Hermit said:

You're right. I'm not in the best shape. At one time, getting this might have been a death sentence.

I sometimes think about those poor bastards in Wuhan and Italy and New York who caught covid and died from it before anyone even knew what was happening.  That is some killer-DM level unfairness.

11 hours ago, Old Man said:

I sometimes think about those poor bastards in Wuhan and Italy and New York who caught covid and died from it before anyone even knew what was happening.  That is some killer-DM level unfairness.

It's truly heart-breaking, but Nature doesn't care about fair. It just does what it does, and we survive it or we don't. I'm sure a guy who lives near a volcano understands that.

22 hours ago, Hermit said:

Well, I've got it, and I can say I'm not enjoying it. It would be much worse if I didn't have the shots I know but I do feel like grumbling anyway

Hope you get through this quickly and without serious complications!  My symptoms are slowly starting to subside, but I have at least a few more days left to go, I know.

19 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I know it won't make either of you feel better, but I just want to remind everyone that this was the actual objective of the vaccination program: to get to the point where COVID is for most people an aggravation, rather than a trauma and possible mortal threat. It's a huge step forward.

Yes, absolutely.  I'm very grateful to be vaccinated!  (I've unfortunately have had to hear from a family member that I got COVID because of the vaccine, and that just made me feel soooo angry!)

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

It's truly heart-breaking, but Nature doesn't care about fair. It just does what it does, and we survive it or we don't. I'm sure a guy who lives near a volcano understands that.

I don't actually live anywhere near an active volcano, but thanks for the reassurance.  ;)

I have avoided the covid only through some extremely fortuitous dice rolling.  Both kids managed to finish the in-person school year without picking it up.  Older boy's friends were out the last week as they all work in the same kitchen and gave it to each other.  Older boy also was off work at his own job on the day when a sick coworker came in and gave it to everyone there.  Younger boy spent one of the first days of summer break at a friend's house, and said friend was exposed to covid the very next day. 

I'm still sticking to my N95 any time I'm indoors in public, but I feel hunted.

My daughter caught it last week along with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, around June 1st.

The in-laws went and stayed in a hotel when they first manifested symptoms and he tested positive. They just came back home yesterday after their symptoms were gone. He was vaccinated and she wasn’t, but he had the far worse case. She only had very mild symptoms.

My daughter had three days with a sore throat, then three-four days with cough, body ache, loss of smell and extreme tiredness, and then it faded back to just a sore throat and tiredness as she recovered. She never had much of a fever, like only one degree. She tested positive last weekend and missed her promotion from 8th grade. She was all better again as of Friday.

Being an antisocial hermit has helped me immensely in both avoiding the disease and in not being distressed by the protective measures needed to do so. I suspect my luck will finally run out on this October's trip to a family wedding in Las Vegas, but I'll be timing my next booster to peak at that time as the best thing I can do short of opting out. My GP just told me that vaccines adjusted to be more effective against the newer omicron variants may be available in the fall.

Early Omicron infection unlikely to protect against current variants

People infected with the earliest version of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus, first identified in South Africa in November, may be vulnerable to reinfection with later versions of Omicron even if they have been vaccinated and boosted, new findings suggest.

Vaccinated patients with Omicron BA.1 breakthrough infections developed antibodies that could neutralize that virus plus the original SARS-CoV-2 virus, but the Omicron sublineages circulating now have mutations that allow them to evade those antibodies, researchers from China reported on Friday in Nature.

• 2 weeks later...