Coronavirus

Steve

Sorry you had to go through that, Duke. :(  Even with vaccination, the new variants pack a nasty punch.

I contracted COVID only once, a couple of years ago. For me it was no worse than a nasty head cold, thanks to vaccine. The symptoms started to improve after two days, and were gone in a week.

Telling you that so you can hate me even more. :nya:

Thank you, folks.

For the record, I just woke up about twenty minutes ago.  I do not remember much of the past week, though my wife tells me that I phoned back and forth to my job a few times.  I don't recall that, but hey: if they are seeking input from someone in the throws of fever delirium, more power to them.

I am fairly certain I could be wrestled to the ground by a toddler and pinned there by a kitten.  I have a background dizziness that I cannot seem to shake, but I am hoping that  being able to take my BP and heart meds on schedule again will resolve that (hard to give pills to someone who cannot be awakened, I am told).

Anyway, if I can manage the trip, I am going to sit on the porch for some fresh air.  Hopefully I recover fully in the next few hours, because the doctor has me scheduled back at work six AM tomorrow.

I hope you're feeling better, Duke -- especially if you did have to go back to work yesterday. 😬

A woman I work with (younger millennial, no complicating medical conditions, etc.) avoided Covid until late last year, then caught it and was down for months due to reoccurring infections by every virus or bacterium she came into contact with.

I hope you're on the mend for good!

2 hours ago, Joe Walsh said:

A woman I work with (younger millennial, no complicating medical conditions, etc.) avoided Covid until late last year, then caught it and was down for months due to reoccurring infections by every virus or bacterium she came into contact with.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know her vaccination status?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

An important first step toward being honest and informed is to realize that people who oppose a vaccine are not people who oppose all vaccines.

I respectfully disagree. A vaccine which has passed national regulatory approval is a good vaccine. Full Stop. The people who object to them do so as a way of validating their counter-hegemonic narrative. I understand and sympathise with the desire to push back against hegemonic narratives, even when those desires are rooted in transference, as people do not for the most part choose to be psychologically wounded. We should, however, understand that vaccines work at a population level, and extending resistance activities to vaccines is public mischief. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's absolutely still out there.  According to WorldOMeters, there have been about 4.5 MILLION new cases, and about 50,000 deaths in the US *this year* from Covid.  WIth about 30% of the year...and early winter...still to come.  So it's still quite a bit more of a threat than even a bad flu.  IIRC, a bad flu season is something like 15,000 to 20,000 deaths.  

• 2 weeks later...