Coronavirus

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, are they recording these now?  I've had the 4;  I'll probably get the 5th along with the flu shot.  (Less rush down here, it's still upper 80s.)  But the card's full.

I don't remember if I've had 2 or 3 different vaxes.  Doing a tag team with the flu virus...probably won't be fun.  Yeah, pretty good chance that first 24-36 hours will be unpleasant.  Arm soreness is likely to last several days;  that's been the pattern with the last 3.  Hmm.  Maybe I'll set up some beef or chicken stock soon.  A good home-made soup is something that's easy to do when one can barely stay standing for more than 5 minutes at a time.  (Probably chicken.  Plain brown stock..brown means browning the chicken before adding the water.  Onion, carrot, celery, salt, pepper, diced garlic, a couple teaspoons of processed ginger, a lovely addition, some pearled barley, cubed, close-trimmed thigh meat.  Simmer for 2-3 hours, IIRC, to cook the barley.)

• 2 weeks later...

So I went and got the double whammy before lunch...flu and omicron booster.  Unless the tech messed it up, which I doubt...the flu shot hurt more at the time, and bled more...just took the bandages off.  I had the shots in diff arms.  And the flu arm is a bit sore...whereas the omicron arm is a non-issue for a change.  Yay!

Warning Signs About the First Post-pandemic Winter

"There’s an alternative winter the country might envision—one unencumbered by the policy backslides the U.S. has made in recent months, and one in which Americans acknowledge that COVID remains not just 'a problem' but a crisis worth responding to.

"In that version of reality, far more people would be up-to-date on their vaccines. The most vulnerable in society would be the most protected. Ventilation systems would hum in buildings across the country. Workers would have access to ample sick leave. Health-care systems would have excesses of protective gear, and local health departments wouldn’t want for funds. Masks would come out in times of high transmission, especially in schools, pharmacies, government buildings, and essential businesses; free tests, boosters, and treatments would be available to all. No one would be asked to return to work while sick—not just with COVID but with any transmissible disease. SARS-CoV-2 infections would not disappear, but they would remain at more manageable levels; cases of flu and other cold-weather sicknesses that travel through the air would follow suit. Surveillance systems would whir in every state and territory, ready to detect the next threat. Leaders might even set policies that choreograph, rather than simply capitulate to, how Americans behave.

"We won’t be getting that winter this year, or likely any year soon. Many policies have already reverted to their 2019 status quo; by other metrics, the nation’s well-being even seems to have regressed. Life expectancy in the U.S. has fallen, especially among Native Americans and Alaskan Natives. Institutions of health are beleaguered; community-outreach efforts have been pruned."

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow, I've managed to be lucky in that I haven't even had to take a Covid test yet.  I need to get a booster.  I tried to get one a few weeks ago, but the girl working the pharmacy counter couldn't figure out how to process my insurance card to recognize me as covered.  I haven't attempted to reschedule yet.

I attribute my luck to leveraging my current job role to a permanent WFH and keeping my social engagements to individuals who are responsible.  The closest call I had to exposure were at a LARP event where someone showed up with the 'VID that didn't let anyone know, but being an outdoor event, it was a low exposure risk.  I was lucky, two others at the event were not so lucky.