Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Madeline Reid, Mage and her consor Wayland Smith fighting zombies in the middle of a dark and foggy San Fransisco back street.

"No! I want the shotgun!"

tugging match ensues as the two fight over the gun.

A scene that can only end badly....

The group is a bunch of supernaturally-based supers and occultists searching for the Spear of Destiny in a humongous castle during WWII (think Hellboy.)

Five minutes into the first session of the first game:

Mateusz: "Found it!"

(The GM looks shocked.)

Mateusz heads into the bathroom that he was searching for.

Mateusz: "You try holding it since Cherbourge"

----------------

Mateusz is a Polish national.

GM: Letizia and Mateusz find each room they search empty of any signs of recent activity. They search a dining hall, a kitchen, several bedrooms, an armory. Finally the hallway comes to a a set of stairs heading up and one going down.

Letizia: "Up or down?"

Mateusz: "I'll take down."

Mateusz: "When have you ever heard of a monster on the roof?"

Mateusz: "Unless it was some sort of tradition."

-------------------

Mateusz: "Keep your eyes peeled. Unless, there's something here that actually peels eyes. In which case, don't let it peel them."

--------------------

GM: Carved into the circle in the center are the roman numerals 1 through 10, where each of the red robed individuals are.

Mateusz: "It's like a fancy clock... in... the metric system..."

--------------------

Letizia and Mateusz come across a tunnel only big enough to crawl through.

Letizia: "This way."

Mateusz: "I'll go in first."

Letizia starts crawling through the tunnel.

Mateusz: "I *said* I'll go in first!"

Letizia: "I'm smaller."

Mateusz crawls in after Letizia...

Mateusz: "Not by much."

Mateusz: "On second thought..."

Mateusz keeps his eyes ahead of him...

GM: The tunnel Letizia and Mateusz are traveling down goes on for about 20 feet before exiting out into a medium sized room. As they come out they hear the sound of guns being cocked. That's when they notice the four men in Nazi uniforms holding MP40's at them. Their skin is a strange shade of white-ish grey.

Letizia stares at the Nazis for a moment.

Mateusz: "If we die, I just want you to know that I enjoyed looking at you in the tunnel."

Letizia can't help but giggle.

Letizia: "If we don't die, I will kill you."

-----------------------

Mateusz: Okay... there will be Nazis there. Here's the plan. Step one, I will run in and kill everything. There is no step two.

The group is a bunch of supernaturally-based supers and occultists searching for the Spear of Destiny in a humongous castle during WWII (think Hellboy.)

Five minutes into the first session of the first game:

Mateusz: "Found it!"

(The GM looks shocked.)

I am intrigued as to why te GM would be shocked considering the PC Mateusz couldn't find it without the GM's approval. :think: They do know this, right? Or was the GM just surprised that they found it where they were supposed to, so soon?

Aside: This reminds me of when I was on the Birthright (D&D) mailing list in which a player sent an e-mail asking for help. The player said his character received a vision from his deity, but the DM told him the PC did not receive any such vision. The player was asking the boards how he could convince his DM that the character really did receive a vision. :rolleyes: It actually took the player a while to understand that the DM controlled the PC's deity. :stupid:

Let me put it to you this way.

It was a new session, new players, nervous as hell GM...

Mateusz's player just said "Found it!" referring to the "I found a bathroom" rather than "Found it!" "I found the spear that pierced the side of Christ."

In other words, Meteusz's player was trying to defy expectations.

Yesterday we had a one-shot adventure as part of a friend's birthday party, and the GM ran the classic "you're all fighting your evil duplicates" adventure. This resulted in a certain amount of "tell your teammates about your Vulnerabilities over the secure commlink" -- I think my character started it by telling everyone about her x1 1/2 STUN from Physical Killing Attacks. (It worked, though -- the team mentalist nailed Evil Nova with a mental illusion of being sliced with a katana and took her out with one shot. Of course, this means if he decides to run a "half the party becomes evil" scenario anyone who spoke up is now officially hosed ....) At one point, the team mystic was going to help the brick deal with her evil duplicate, since the two of them weren't getting anywhere trading punches. Magus wasn't sure how well his Ego Attack would do, so he called out "Titania! How weak-willed are you?"

------

A couple days ago was my biweekly Golden Age game. I was in the Villainy Amok playtest, so I borrowed one of Scott's variants on a bank robbery scenario and had the sorcerous villain Summon the money out of the vault. Mixed in with the usual "we're nickel and diming them down" comments was one made after I moved some cops to surround some of the cash: "Money! We have you surrounded! Lay yourself down!"

(Consider this a teaser for the book :) )

Not so much a funny line as a funny event (But there's not thread for that! ;))

-----

For this encounter, the DM converted the D&D game temporarily into a wargame, complete with units of Winter Wolves, Trolls, footsoldiers, various mounted units, and us player characters. Our most effective asset was a catapult with various enchanted projectiles.

At one point, the general of the opposing army (a mage) proceeds to turn invisible and we can't find him until he appears behind our line next to the catapult. A mage PC proceeds to blast the heck out of him with spells, taking him down quickly. Another character proceeds to reanimate him, thinking that this will demoralize the enemy.

Player: "I have him growl and stumble to the top of the hill."

DM: "The enemies receive their morale bonus because at that range, they think he's still alive."

Player: "Then on his next action I instruct him to get into the catapult"

This spawns a laughing jag, as next turn we proceed to launch the now-undead enemy general into his own troops, his head coming off in the flight. He also earned the nickname "General Dismemberment".

Amber DRPG:

"You drag us through an infinite number of shadows just so you can go to your favorite PUB??"

Dale: "Brand was a psycho"

Becca: "Brand was my father, remember?"

Dale: "My point"

[after getting directions that lead them into a trap]

Becca: If we get out of this I'm kicking your friend's @$$

Becca: Your a drunk, a liar and a cheat

Sage: I love you too

Yesterday we had a one-shot adventure as part of a friend's birthday party' date=' and the GM ran the classic "you're all fighting your evil duplicates" adventure.[/quote']

That's funny. Zornwil's game ran a game yesterday where two of the PCs had been replaced and one of our player's had his birthday yesterday.

Zornwil should be posting the quotes.

The PCs are going through a dungeon crawl. They've somehow found three of three "mazes," bypassing rooms that contain creatures and treasure. In the third 'maze' was a bunch of 10' x 10' rooms with a door on each wall. When the players discovered this, they could have just walked straight backwards (the way they came), but the one in front just wanted to keep going through. I game them the suggestion of just backpeddling.

Player 1: Nope. I'm committed.

Player 2: You should be.

This is from an old Call of Cthulhu game set in the 30s.

One of the players owned a plane, but using it during a certain adventure was not allowed. So the GM, as the players were walking across the airfield, says, "You see twelve disreputable-looking men with shotguns standing near the plane."

That became a tagline whenever something the players were about to do was not allowed, "You see twelve disreputable-looking men with shotguns."

That's funny. Zornwil's game ran a game yesterday where two of the PCs had been replaced and one of our player's had his birthday yesterday.

Zornwil should be posting the quotes.

That is a funny coincidence.

Okay, here's the quote/story - and a warning, as this relates to NGD (Non-Gaming Discussion) recent lore, so if you are offended by NGD-related stories, skip now!

In our game, I am using the Metal Men. And currently they're house-hunting - Doc Magnus is dead, and his entire estate/lab/base/etc. completely obliterated. They stayed for a bit with one of the PCs (lemming's in fact), Spectrum. But decided to adopt more human ways and so went off to get their own place.

Gold and Platinum were talking in front of our PCs. Platinum (AKA Tina), the platinum bombshell as it were and always over-played as such by me with her strong attraction to any robotic beings as well as human males, starts talking about adopting the human female role, taking care of all the house chores, decorating and such. She discusses stereotypical roles with eagerness, in her attempt to be the idealized male version of a female, bombshell and home maker.

So one of the PCs, known on the boards as Lamrok, his character being Nexus, Master of Dimensions, nods and says, "That's fine, Fred."

:D Like I said, you have to get NGD lore.

(will be cross-posted to there, too)

spoken at un summit to form a world government.

player: (ex sith lord with some sense evil type powers).

"Do i sense any of them are evil?"

GM: "Theyre politicians...."

my pc (an avatar of cronos with several thousand minds crammed into his head) to mentala.

"Please dont eat me!"

my pc among others during phone conversation with russian premier about ceasing hostilities in a naval attack on some of our allies.

my pc: "Um....if were talking peace you might want to do something about the nuclear mines i just placed all over your flagship."

Here is one (of a few) from my L5R game we had today.

That reminds me of one from my L5R game a while back.

The group of Samurais are traveling, looking to find a village suitable for us to stay for the night. We see ahead of us in the distance a Village with some smoke coming from it. The Crab Yojimbo goes ahead to check it out, she finds a devestated village with it's dead inhabinants scattered around the area, a rather gruesome scene. (remember in this world touching the dead is incredibly dishonourable and just the thought of sleeping near dead would repulse any of these characters). She comes back and says:

"This village will not meet our needs."

Earlier tonight, a friend ran his Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed d20, which he's been running as a kind of 'regular pick-up game' ... if you can show, you do, if not, you don't. So, the party's levels are 3,3,4,6, and 9 (which is quite a spread, all things considered). To split the party up to make appropriate challenges, our 9th level character is yanked through the floor to fight a solo opponent while the rest of us get some weaker monsters.

We dispatch our little friends in short order, and this exchange (or a rough facsimile thereof) occurs:

Me: "I'll go over to the hole and look down there. Is the monster right under the hole?"

DM: (clatter of dice) "Yes."

Me: "Okay, I'm going to drop through the hole and attack it on the way down."

My attack (and all subsequent attacks) turn out to be wholly ineffective. Meanwhile, PC2, on his turn, does this:

PC2: "I'll go over to the hole, look in, and assess the situation."

Me: "Assess the situation? THAT'S the step I forgot!"

And a standalone line ...

"Too many cooks spoil the brothel."

From a Vampire game a few weeks ago.

Player: I wasn’t planning to have to role play this out.

GM: It is a Role Playing Game!

GM: You’re cutting cheese in my general direction.

(She really was slicing cheese.)

GM: You feel as if you’d walked into the lion’s den with a steak tied to your face.

Player: The kind cut from the side of a cow, not from the limb of a tree.

Doc

Tonight's D&D session.

I'm currently running my group through the 10th level adventure, Heart of Nightfang Spire.

They find this door in the second level of the tower:

Me, reading from the description:

The door to this champer is carved with skulls, spikes, tentacles, eyes and mouths. Words in Draconic inscribed above the lintel read, "Oggunon Sathaar is interred here. Only fools pass this threshold."

Three of my six players cry out, in unison, "That's us!"

:rolleyes: Gotta love that bunch...

Mags

Some quotes from Saturday's "7th Sea" game...

"'Platypus' - Ussuran for 'Matushka didn't know what the hell it was either...'"

GM: "There's now about 40 of them, 10 of you."

Gustaphe to Connor: "I say we let them send for reinforcements."

Alexei: "So we're facing nearly impossible odds, and we have no concept of a plan..."

Inigo: "Sounds like our usual job description."

Jim (Gustaphe's player): "What do you mean, the garrison commander didn't have the cell keys on him?! How am I supposed to get the chains off this guy?!"

Gabrielle (who is already out of the city and helped in the earlier jail break): *twirling keys around on her finger*: "So I wonder what the other keys on this chain are for?"

Repeated statement by various Montaigne: "No... El Vago can NOT be in Ussura..."

(He is.)

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Caleb is worried that he may spend too much time chasing after women.

Caleb: "Would you say that I'm an inveterate philanderer?"

Erin: "Is that a nice way of saying you're a ladies man?"

Caleb: "Actually, 'ladies man' is a nice way to say 'inveterate philanderer."

Later...

Caleb: "Besides, we've already established I'm an inveterate womanizer"

Regina: "Spineless womanizer?"

Caleb: "I really have to get a thesaurus to look up a synonym for inveterate. It sounds too much like 'invertebrate'..."

------------

Regina: "Maybe I can help you with your little ghost problem.. "

Caleb: "So... any details? What should I be doing?"

Regina: "Lemme ask you somethin' Caleb.. you believe in God?"

Caleb: Just the vengeful, vindictive one. Why?

Regina: "There's other sides too.. and when you start to see those ghosts.. I want you to rebuke them.. you ever hear of that? "

[pause]

Caleb: "Reg, doesn't that mean calling upon the power of Christ to compel demons to leave the mortal plane and return to hell? *That* rebuke? I don't think I can do that."

Regina: "Why not?"

Caleb: "For one, don't you need to be A) a priest, B) somewhat faithful, C) entertain the possibility that God might actually listen to *my* prayers, and D) require a God that isn't a complete choad? Can't I rebuke them with one of the fun gods? I like Bacchus."

Regina: (slow, deliberate breath.) "No.. you don't have to be a priest.. but you do gotta have faith.. and you already know that demons exist... They hear you.. what makes you think God doesn't? "

Caleb: "Oh, he hears me. He just doesn't *listen.*"

Regina: "Maybe he does Caleb... it'll work.. trust me.. if you believe it will."

Caleb: He's like a Jewish mother whose son grew up to be a gay stripper in the East Villiage rather than a doctor... he doesn't acknowledge that I exist, I'm such a dissapointment. Goin' out. Murdering people, taking his name in vain, coveting women of all stripes. Putting Bacchus before him. Ach, such a schundik!"

Regina: (Shrugs) "You could always keep livin' with the hauntings."

Caleb: "Oy, gevalt!"