Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

There is a battery saver option, but as my daughter put it, it just reduces power consumption from truly awful to awful.

Four blocks from our house is a plumbing supply place with a neon plunger sign. The plunger is the Pokestop.

Much talk online about Pokemon Go being the game that got kids outside, but my kids found it far more efficient to play from inside an air-conditioned vehicle, catching stray Pokemons on the freeway.

At least they weren't driving.

And you're not kidding about the battery drain. Geez.

Oh, one more thing to destroy my geek cred.

Most of the time, when people ask for help building XYZ character from some show or book they read, I have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.  They aren't saying "help me build Spider-Man" or "help me build Deadpool".  They're asking for help making something from anime, or some webcomic, or a book series, or some cartoon.  And nearly without fail, I've got no idea what it is.

To be fair, I also don't follow modern music or TV either.  I don't know who the Jersey Shore people are, or any other current TV show.  My girlfriend had to tell me who Beyonce was, and I don't think I'd know any current musicians if I bumped into them on the street.  So I'm just generally culturally ignorant.  One nice thing about approaching 40 is that I don't have to give a crap about any of that stuff anymore.  But it also flows over into geek life.  I tried listening to the latest Weird Al album, and I didn't know what any of the songs he was singing were supposed to be.

• 8 months later...

My favorite Bruce Willis movie is "The Fifth Element".

I have never seen the original Die Hard. I saw and barely remember the second and fourth movies.

I guess it's time for me to destroy my geek cred by jumping in and saying that I think The Fifth Element is one of the most overrated movies of all time.

I've never understood the hype surrounding the Fifth Element. There are better movies people.

Here are the rest:

I hate Marvel. Passionately. I won't touch a Marvel Comic unless my life depends on it (and maybe not even then). I like the movies. The movies are f--king brilliant (with two exceptions). Just keep the comics away from me. And no, Ike, making Captain America a black guy won't work on me. You're still Marvel. Stop being Marvel and I will buy some of your comics. Nuff said.

I hate Wolverine and Spider-Man. Peter Parker is comic's most annoying whiner. Wolverine has boring powers and is a child's idea of what a tough guy is like.

I hated the first Iron Man movie. Seriously people, what was so special about it?

I hated the first Captain America movie (First Avenger, not the direct to video one, the made for TV one from the 70s, or the movie serial. Those were competent.) Cap should be punching Hitler dammit! Winter Soldier and Civil War were amazing. I'm going to miss Chris Evans when he retires. He's the best embodiment of God, Mom, and apple pie since Christopher Reeve.

I hate Batman. It took me several years and much soul searching to figure out why. I think it comes down to the fact that the post-Dark Knight Returns Batman is the most juvenile character ever created. He's like a teenage boy's view of himself. He's humourless, he has to be the best at everything, and he's in an eternal d--k measuring contest with the entire Justice League (cause no one's explained Wonder Woman to him yet). Does anybody remember when Batman was friends with his fellow superheroes? Does anybody remember when he wasn't being eternally emo about his dead parents? I do. I remember when Bruce was serious, but not grim and wangsty. He didn't smile, but good God, he could at least crack a deadpan joke!

In my opinion, Superman is the greatest superhero ever created. There. I said it.

I hate "classic" Battlestar Galactica and I've never seen enough of the new one to form an opinion.

I'm yet another person who's never gotten very far with Tolkien. The Hobbit was better than Fellowship, but I've never finished either. I might try again at some point.

I like Voyager.

I hate Arrow.

As much as I like David Tennant, I still think Christopher Eccleston was the best of the nuWho Doctors.

I think Stephen Moffat has done an amazing job and I'm going to miss him when he's gone.

Jar Jar Binks was horrible, but he wasn't the worst thing in the Star Wars prequels. The worst thing in the Star Wars prequels was Hayden Christiansen's emo psychopath.

I like Final Crisis.

I've never played Vampire in any version. I've never played D&D for more than a night,

I've never played WoW or City of Heroes. I've never owned any Playstations. In fact, I've never gotten into video games.

I think Jim Lee is overrated. I can see why people like him, but I can also see that he's a terrible storyteller who makes his writers look the same.

I think comics fans need to find a better target than Rob Liefeld. Yeah he can't draw, but at this point, every time someone mentions it it feels like beating up on the nice, developmentally delayed kid. There are lots of reasons to hate Rob Liefeld. Could we go after his character and give the art thing a rest?

I like classic Star Trek, but I don't worship Gene Roddenbury. The guy was kind of weird and not in a good way. All the best stuff in Trek was invented by Gene L. Coon among others. Let's give them some of the credit. Okay?

I don't worship George Lucas either. Star Wars was fun when I was a kid, but let's not turn this into something it isn't. You want great Sci-fi? Dune. 1984. Farenheit 451, Brave New World. Slaughterhouse Five. The Star Wars movies are fun. That's all.

I've never cosplayed. I want to, but I can't think of anyone I wouldn't look stupid as.

I've never played Warhammer or any other miniatures game.

I own 2 decks of Magic cards. Never touched 'em.

That's all for now. If I think of any more I'll add them.

I have to agree with "Sociotard" re "Dune". Overrated, derivative (the personal shields that mean people use blades was lifted straight from a novel by Charles Harness) and inferior to the book with which it tied for the Hugo Award ("And Call Me Conrad"- Roger Zelazny).

I didn't see this comment when it was posted. All I'll say is that Roger Zelazny was an amazing writer. I haven't read or heard of the book you mentioned, but if I find a copy I'll be sure to check it out.

I have never seen the original Die Hard. I saw and barely remember the second and fourth movies.

I've never understood the hype surrounding the Fifth Element. There are better movies people.

Here are the rest:

I hate Marvel. Passionately. I won't touch a Marvel Comic unless my life depends on it (and maybe not even then). I like the movies. The movies are f--king brilliant (with two exceptions). Just keep the comics away from me. And no, Ike, making Captain America a black guy won't work on me. You're still Marvel. Stop being Marvel and I will buy some of your comics. Nuff said.

I hate Wolverine and Spider-Man. Peter Parker is comic's most annoying whiner. Wolverine has boring powers and is a child's idea of what a tough guy is like.

I hated the first Iron Man movie. Seriously people, what was so special about it?

I hated the first Captain America movie (First Avenger, not the direct to video one, the made for TV one from the 70s, or the movie serial. Those were competent.) Cap should be punching Hitler dammit! Winter Soldier and Civil War were amazing. I'm going to miss Chris Evans when he retires. He's the best embodiment of God, Mom, and apple pie since Christopher Reeve.

I hate Batman. It took me several years and much soul searching to figure out why. I think it comes down to the fact that the post-Dark Knight Returns Batman is the most juvenile character ever created. He's like a teenage boy's view of himself. He's humourless, he has to be the best at everything, and he's in an eternal d--k measuring contest with the entire Justice League (cause no one's explained Wonder Woman to him yet). Does anybody remember when Batman was friends with his fellow superheroes? Does anybody remember when he wasn't being eternally emo about his dead parents? I do. I remember when Bruce was serious, but not grim and wangsty. He didn't smile, but good God, he could at least crack a deadpan joke!

In my opinion, Superman is the greatest superhero ever created. There. I said it.

I hate "classic" Battlestar Galactica and I've never seen enough of the new one to form an opinion.

I'm yet another person who's never gotten very far with Tolkien. The Hobbit was better than Fellowship, but I've never finished either. I might try again at some point.

I like Voyager.

I hate Arrow.

As much as I like David Tennant, I still think Christopher Eccleston was the best of the nuWho Doctors.

I think Stephen Moffat has done an amazing job and I'm going to miss him when he's gone.

Jar Jar Binks was horrible, but he wasn't the worst thing in the Star Wars prequels. The worst thing in the Star Wars prequels was Hayden Christiansen's emo psychopath.

I like Final Crisis.

I've never played Vampire in any version. I've never played D&D for more than a night,

I've never played WoW or City of Heroes. I've never owned any Playstations. In fact, I've never gotten into video games.

I think Jim Lee is overrated. I can see why people like him, but I can also see that he's a terrible storyteller who makes his writers look the same.

I think comics fans need to find a better target than Rob Liefeld. Yeah he can't draw, but at this point, every time someone mentions it it feels like beating up on the nice, developmentally delayed kid. There are lots of reasons to hate Rob Liefeld. Could we go after his character and give the art thing a rest?

I like classic Star Trek, but I don't worship Gene Roddenbury. The guy was kind of weird and not in a good way. All the best stuff in Trek was invented by Gene L. Coon among others. Let's give them some of the credit. Okay?

I don't worship George Lucas either. Star Wars was fun when I was a kid, but let's not turn this into something it isn't. You want great Sci-fi? Dune. 1984. Farenheit 451, Brave New World. Slaughterhouse Five. The Star Wars movies are fun. That's all.

I've never cosplayed. I want to, but I can't think of anyone I wouldn't look stupid as.

I've never played Warhammer or any other miniatures game.

I own 2 decks of Magic cards. Never touched 'em.

That's all for now. If I think of any more I'll add them.

Wow. When you destroy your geek cred, you really destroy your geek cred. I'm impressed.

I've never seen a Harry Potter movie, nor do I intend to.  I borrowed the books up until Half-Blood prince and thought they were ok but when the person I was borrowing from moved away I didn't care to seek out the last book on my own: I just read the wikipedia entry and called it a day.

Until very recently I did not understand that the Fantastic Four represented the four classic elements....

:doi:

I think that's an easy thing to miss, I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Lucius Alexander

It's only obvious once you already see it, like the association between the palindromedary and the God Janus.