Destroy Your Geek Cred!!

I tried watching Guardians of the Galaxy and only made it twenty minutes into the movie before I was bored beyond belief.

:shock:

:slap:

The thread is Destroy Your Geek Cred; not flay it alive, expose it to VX gas, throw it in a wood chipper, cremate it and then shoot the ashes into the sun.

:shock:

:slap:

The thread is Destroy Your Geek Cred; not flay it alive, expose it to VX gas, throw it in a wood chipper, cremate it and then shoot the ashes into the sun.

Well I'm not a geek anyway. Went into a comic shop yesterday--the first time I've gone to one in years--and felt so uncomfortable that I had to fight the urge to run out as quickly as possible. And it took all my strength to resist yelling "NERDS!!!" as I left.

Well I'm not a geek anyway. Went into a comic shop yesterday--the first time I've gone to one in years--and felt so uncomfortable that I had to fight the urge to run out as quickly as possible. And it took all my strength to resist yelling "NERDS!!!" as I left.

The local comic book store is only nominally friendly for non-comic nerds. I once inquired about a certain trade paperback, only to be told that they weren't stocking it. I asked about special ordering it, and they asked me if I had a box (no). I couldn't special order without a box. And they didn't have any more boxes available. I couldn't pre-pay, and just pick up later. I ended up ordering it off of Amazon.com.

When the store was in another part of town, the owner had a sign on the door basically saying that they didn't stock games, they didn't intend to stock games, and if you were into games, you should go away. If it wasn't a comic from one of the big publishers, they pretty much had never heard of it and had no intention of carrying it ever. I had inquired about PS238 at one point, only to be dismissed because it wasn't a real comic since the owner hadn't heard of it. Oh, and the owner seemed to feel that true comic book fans were only male, and proceeded to ignore the woman I was with (who actually knows more about comics than I do). That only changed in the new store when the owner hired a few extra people, including a woman, to run the significantly larger store. The owner still can't look a woman in the eye, though.

The local comic book store is only nominally friendly for non-comic nerds. I once inquired about a certain trade paperback, only to be told that they weren't stocking it. I asked about special ordering it, and they asked me if I had a box (no). I couldn't special order without a box. And they didn't have any more boxes available. I couldn't pre-pay, and just pick up later. I ended up ordering it off of Amazon.com.

When the store was in another part of town, the owner had a sign on the door basically saying that they didn't stock games, they didn't intend to stock games, and if you were into games, you should go away. If it wasn't a comic from one of the big publishers, they pretty much had never heard of it and had no intention of carrying it ever. I had inquired about PS238 at one point, only to be dismissed because it wasn't a real comic since the owner hadn't heard of it. Oh, and the owner seemed to feel that true comic book fans were only male, and proceeded to ignore the woman I was with (who actually knows more about comics than I do). That only changed in the new store when the owner hired a few extra people, including a woman, to run the significantly larger store. The owner still can't look a woman in the eye, though.

How does he stay in business?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says it's probably a trade secret

Well, my daughter has it on her phone, and the technical challenge is interesting. We went up to a mall to get new shoes (for both of us) and she pointed out people obviously playing the game, and captured a few virtual critters herself as we drove. The apparent correlation between real landmarks and the virtual fauna is amusing.

Prime complaint so far (from her) is that it munches your phone battery charge like crazy. That was the reason she didn't take my offer to drive down to the ferry terminal and see what was around there.

Well, my daughter has it on her phone, and the technical challenge is interesting. We went up to a mall to get new shoes (for both of us) and she pointed out people obviously playing the game, and captured a few virtual critters herself as we drove. The apparent correlation between real landmarks and the virtual fauna is amusing.

Prime complaint so far (from her) is that it munches your phone battery charge like crazy. That was the reason she didn't take my offer to drive down to the ferry terminal and see what was around there.

There is a battery saver option for the game.

Apparently, my FLCS is a PokeStop.

I know practically nothing about Pokemon Go, but it sounds like the game uses GPS and your phone's position to determine what critters you get.

I wonder what the NSA is doing with all that data.

/tinfoilhat

Why, building the perfect Pokémon to take over the world!

I read that a girl in Wyoming found a dead body in a river that the app lead her too.

Maybe something sinister is afoot?

I wonder how many reports of people injuring themselves with this thing we'll see. Hopefully not as many as people throwing their Wiimote through their TVs.

There is a battery saver option for the game.

Apparently, my FLCS is a PokeStop.

There is a battery saver option, but as my daughter put it, it just reduces power consumption from truly awful to awful.

Four blocks from our house is a plumbing supply place with a neon plunger sign. The plunger is the Pokestop.

Oh, and I've heard rumors of people putting their phones on quadrotor drones for this as well. I am wondering what those enlightened, humorful guys down at Fort Lewis are going to think about that when one chases the Scyther across sensitive airspace over the base.

I have no interest in Dr. Who, I have only ever seen one episode.

I have never seen Game of Thrones, or read the books, and I have no interest in doing so.

I don't read science fiction, fantasy, or urban fantasy.

I don't own a video game console, and my computer is so underpowered that it won't run anything.

Only ever saw the first Harry Potter movie, never read the books.

I've never played an MMORPG.

I've never seen Battlestar Galactica, old or new.

Never seen a whole episode of Babylon 5.

I haven't seen any of the DC superhero TV shows.

I haven't read comics in over a decade.

I've never seen Agent Carter or Agents of Shield.

I don't watch anime.

Never been to a convention.

I have no interest in Dr. Who, I have only ever seen one episode.

I have never seen Game of Thrones, or read the books, and I have no interest in doing so.

I don't read science fiction, fantasy, or urban fantasy.

I don't own a video game console, and my computer is so underpowered that it won't run anything.

Only ever saw the first Harry Potter movie, never read the books.

I've never played an MMORPG.

I've never seen Battlestar Galactica, old or new.

Never seen a whole episode of Babylon 5.

I haven't seen any of the DC superhero TV shows.

I haven't read comics in over a decade.

I've never seen Agent Carter or Agents of Shield.

I don't watch anime.

Never been to a convention.

You don't read science fiction or fantasy? What do you read?