In other news...

tkdguy

A Russian military transport has crashed into the Black Sea with no survivors. Among the 92 people on board were 60 members of the Alexandrov Ensemble, one of the most famous choral ensembles in the former Russian Bloc who were on their way to perform at a New Year's concert for Russian troops in Syria.

Terrorism is not suspected. For the moment, the accident has largely been attributed to human error.

Ryan Sloane @RyanFSloane "Carrie Fisher survived alcoholism, addiction, depression, bipolar disorder & 60 years in Hollywood. If anyone can survive 2016, it's her."

*fingers crossed* 

And her mother Debbie Reynolds is still alive, would be bad to survive your children.  (my maternal grandpa outlived 3 of his 11, is why I think of that, I guess)

Missouri's gun laws are now basically the same as Kansas', which I think was part of how they got through the Missouri legislature.  Other states with essentially the same laws include Arizona, Wyoming, Alaska, and Vermont.

Besides, I'm not convinced that the new law is really going to change who is carrying.  Our concealed carry law was pretty relaxed to begin with and a lot of people that I know have already gone through the CCW classes and gotten their permits.  I almost never bother to carry, but that's mostly because the areas I'm generally in are pretty quiet in terms of crime.

I'm a gun owner and a firearms fan (although I don't get out shooting as often as I'd like, for various reasons). I don't have a concealed carry permit, because I honestly don't feel like I'm that likely to be in a situation where I'd need one. I know you can't predict when something might happen, but I just don't feel the fear for my safety.

I don't think that allowing concealed carry without a permit is really a good idea. A lot of gun owners are . . . well, right-wing bigoted assholes who would LIKE an excuse to kill one of the "wrong sort of people", or at least put effort into looking that way online. I don't feel like those people should be encouraged to have guns with them all the time.

It's a little weird being "left" politically (by America's standards, anyway) but also liking guns and gun rights.

It's a little weird being "left" politically (by America's standards, anyway) but also liking guns and gun rights.

Nah. We all tend to be individuals and come up with our own personal ideologies as we go along. I'm politically right and yet have no desire to pursue a lot of the social conservatism (like discrimination towards people who ain't like me). A label, more often than not, is just a way to quickly categorize somebody. I prefer to judge people on how they treat others, rather than on labels that they assign themselves. Takes a little more effort, but worth it in the end.

In regards to CCW permits without training, I am torn. One hand I am for 2nd Amendment rights and believe that a parent should be able to teach their children gun safety. Other hand, not everybody has parents who responsibly teach gun safety. Like the police chief in the linked article, I highly recommend that anybody owning a gun (CCW or not) seek out training. Not just in how to use it, but understanding the legalities of using deadly force. Safe storage of a weapon is not incidental. If you don't know how to apply a trigger lock or other safety mechanism, take the time to learn how or buy a gun safe. Learning how to break down and clean your weapons is also a really useful skill. Owning a gun is a lot more than waving it around "gangsta" style in order to look cool. In fact, the best gun owners are ones that you wouldn't even necessarily know own a gun; unless they specifically share that information with you.