In other news...

tkdguy

11 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

" Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should. "

I'm always bummed that the scientists get the blame for all the bad stuff. Scientists are just trying to prove or disprove a theory. It is the engineers who actually put the science into practice and make bad stuff.

See the source image

59 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Both saddening and heartening. What these stories really make me consider is the ease of which history is lost. These were enormous, fully recorded events, well within the modern era, and almost no one knows about them. Humanities ability to lose the past always makes me wonder what else has happened that we just don't know about.

But this is also a story of people trying to correct that, to bring the tragedy and the compassion of the people of Islay back into the light. One keeps hearing of new discoveries of lost history, and of those who try to give forgotten people their due. I consider that a reaffirmation of the human spirit.

16 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

But this is also a story of people trying to correct that, to bring the tragedy and the compassion of the people of Islay back into the light. One keeps hearing of new discoveries of lost history, and of those who try to give forgotten people their due. I consider that a reaffirmation of the human spirit.

Exactly. Why I also said it was "heartening."  I'm just ruminating on how we can lose so much in just 100 years of modern, recorded history... how much have we lost in ten thousand years of civilization, and 15-20 thousand of the agricultural era? The fantasy geek in me enjoys the thought of a Hyborean or Middle Earth type of age, long since dust and forgotten. More realistically, the idea of life and development of the past Quartenary that we just know nothing about, and never will, is both mind boggling and humbling... let alone stretching back across the Cenezoic or to the Paleozoic.

47 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Yeah... we have a Piti, a rescue out of a kill shelter, and he is the sweetest thing you could ever want. He's a mix, and so many pits are, and just wants to snuggle on the couch and lay in the sun. I'm a big fan of the breed, especially as they are so stigmatized and usually great dogs.  

2 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Exactly. Why I also said it was "heartening."  I'm just ruminating on how we can lose so much in just 100 years of modern, recorded history... how much have we lost in ten thousand years of civilization, and 15-20 thousand of the agricultural era? The fantasy geek in me enjoys the thought of a Hyborean or Middle Earth type of age, long since dust and forgotten. More realistically, the idea of life and development of the past Quartenary that we just know nothing about, and never will, is both mind boggling and humbling... let alone stretching back across the Cenezoic or to the Paleozoic.

And on that note: Did another advanced species exist on Earth before humans?

20 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Yes... exactly. There are just these huge swaths of time in the 400 million years of complex life on Earth that dwarf our little 15ka agri-civilization... that some other advanced species could arise and disappear certainly seems possible, if not probable.

As for the reference to plastics, I've imagined future archeologists looking at ice cores and sediment layers, and finding a thin layer, world wide, of micro-plastics, aligning almost exactly with a major species die out. Ah the theories... some kind of synthetic eruption/explosion/bombwar that covered the world in a layer of plastics that killed off much of life at the time, etc. At this point, we are finding micro-plastics all over the world, arctic, ocean bottoms, everywhere... and it won't decay any time soon, so the likelihood of it being trapped in geological layers is high.

Yeah, my dad and stepmother used to have a female pit bull (died about 5 years ago).  It had a habit of finding abandoned kittens.

First time it did, my dad saw what was going on from across the yard.  He saw the dog put the kitten in its mouth.  My dad got scared because he thought he had just witnessed a cat death.  But, the dog basically came up and dropped the kitten in front of him, gently and unharmed.  Kitten wasn't happy being covered in drool, though.   Found a couple others too over the years.

About the only danger from her, was knocking you over when she got excited to see you.

As with any breed, it's all in how you raise them.  Unfortunately pits (and Rottweilers) are popular in certain subcultures for their capabilities as fighting animals and are abused accordingly, and then we have to treat any pit or Rottweiler we meet with suspicion until we can get a close look at the owner.