In other news...

tkdguy

Yeah, I get that, too, LL.

It's simply that at the end of all that--  well, he's still alive.  He's still "free," in a sense, that he will be protected, fed, and taken care of for the rest of his life, without undue need to stress over his own needs.

Guys like this--   I find that unconscionable.  Dead.  Dead is perfect.  Dead is ideal.  Dead, and damed fast.   By his own hand?  Well that's just gravy.  

I like gravy.

I have considered it. 

So you know where I am coming drom: outside of fiction, I don't believe in the "two wrongs make a right" thing.  A short and torturous life inflicted in your assailant.  I find it even worse when it is in keeping with the wishes of the victim.  Don't get me wrong:  I _understand_ feeling that way.  However, I can't call it healing or closure; I can only call it being given the legal right to prove you are just as evil. 

Dead, though--dead is great.   No more victims; no chance of revictimizing the old victims.  No media, no interviews playing for six months and then again for a "five years later" segment--no trace left amongst the living. 

This is ideal. 

Bad analogy, but akin to the Bin Laden burial at sea: no grave site to vandalize or martyr, etc: just gone. 

Yeah: I know most other places aren't big on the death penalty.  But in terms of done, just flat out _done_, dead and forgotten is my personal favorite. 

All you say makes great sense, and aligns with how I personally feel on the matter. But with respect, you and I don't have to live with the consequences of what Jeffrey Epstein did to his victims. They do. Dead isn't dead for them. Epstein will never be dead for them. We will never truly understand what they went through, and we can't really tell them what they should need to find closure.

And with equal respect-and promptly dropping the matter, as we both obviously have strong and differing opinions on appropriate measures in such cases-- I offer that letting him "live with the horrors of his soul" or what-have-you offers nothing but the chance for society--or a satiated victim-- to come to the realization that they, ultimately, may be no better that the person who's torment brings them satisfaction. 

3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

And with equal respect-and promptly dropping the matter, as we both obviously have strong and differing opinions on appropriate measures in such cases-- I offer that letting him "live with the horrors of his soul" or what-have-you offers nothing but the chance for society--or a satiated victim-- to come to the realization that they, ultimately, may be no better that the person who's torment brings them satisfaction. 

And you would be incredibly wrong. 

The reports I've been following state that it's young people who are the core of the protests. That's the same as what happened in Tiananmen Square, and I don't think it's a coincidence that this year is the 30th anniversary of the demonstrations there.

As in that earlier protest, my concern is the young protesters won't be content with the victory they already won in suspending the extradition bill, and will continue to push the Chinese government until it resorts to force to counter them, which we already know it's willing to do. Hong Kong's semi-autonomous status is more precarious than when the former British colony was transferred to Chinese control. Back then its economy represented a much larger percentage of the total Chinese GDP than it does today.

They're pushing because they know the government's "suspension" of the extradition bill is temporary at best.  There won't be a "victory" until a non-puppet is running Hong Kong.  Problem is I don't think that can happen without a lot of people getting killed.  The Chinese government will have to decide between possibly wrecking HK and taking a short term economic hit, or potentially losing it in the long term.  And the Chinese government tends to take the long view on issues like this.

On 8/14/2019 at 8:52 AM, Cancer said:

I've got a friend who's a university professor (Communications) who just took  one-year sabbatical to focus on writing a book on comic book superheroines as a metaphor for the #metoo movement.

Of course, good science fiction has always had a strong element of social and political commentary.