• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Bazza said:

WHO WOULD WIN WEEK

Thanos vs. Darkseid is the story of a clone who surpassed his original

And it’s not a fair fight

https://www.polygon.com/22980066/thanos-vs-darkseid-who-would-win

Nice history.  I also liked the Hulk vs. Thor article found at the bottom...good stuff about Thor surrendering hiss advantages in the early days.

https://www.polygon.com/22991749/hulk-vs-thor-strongest-marvel-comics-who-would-win

8 hours ago, Bazza said:

WHO WOULD WIN WEEK

Thanos vs. Darkseid is the story of a clone who surpassed his original

And it’s not a fair fight

https://www.polygon.com/22980066/thanos-vs-darkseid-who-would-win

Death Battle produced a very entertaining animated depiction of conflict between Thanos and Darkseid, thoroughly researched using all their published appearances and abilities, which research is highlighted over the first part of the video (their actual fight begins at timestamp 17:44).

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 12:43 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

One guy loved the 4 episodes of Moon Knight -- might be best ever Marvel product

Well, I don't know about best ever.  I'm 2 episodes in, which makes me current at the moment.

It's... fine.  They are playing up the mystery and surreal perspectives so its pretty atmospheric but we still haven't really seen what Moon Knight can do.  I'm enjoying the multiple-personality stuff but it feels like that will only sustain the story for so long.  On the up side, by about 2/3 the way through episode 2 they are starting to move away from that as the central aspect of the story. 

I'm willing to give it more time.  I remember liking WandaVision but feeling like the "trapped in TVland" thing wasn't going to hold them for the whole series... right before the episode dropped that veered things in a new direction, so I'm willing to be surprised.

The political thing you may have heard about the show is how it is getting review-bombed online... which is kind of weird.  At one point in episode 1, Oscar Isaac's character and Ethen Hawkes' are discussing human atrocities during a motive speech and Oscar Isaac's character mentions the Armenian Genocide which according to Turkey was just a really big deportation and the whole Genocide thing is all a whole lie perpetuated by.. pretty much everyone else.. to smear the good names of their ancestors.

It is like one line of dialogue that lists it as an example of terrible things people do.. but it has been getting Moon Knight a lot of flack online.

Yeah Turkey is... very odd about the genocide thing.  The entire world and history proves it happened and Turkey keeps stomping its foot insisting it never happened and stop talking about.

I haven't seen Morbius or Moon Knight so I can't comment on them directly but people sure hat Morbius.  I mean its selling plenty of tickets; 126,377,221 worldwide so far so people are interested.  But supposedly it cost $75 million to make, which means it needs to make roughly 150 mill to "break even" in Hollywood accounting and its unlikely it will make another 30 million at this point.  That's tough on Sony, who is trying to leverage super stuff into big bucks like the other studios.

Turkey was never forced to face the consequences of the Armenian genocide, like Germany after WW II, so denial of it has become ingrained in their culture. By now we've all seen how easy it is for human beings to simply refuse to acknowledge evidence of what they don't want to believe.

Morbius did pretty good box-office in its opening weekend, but its second-weekend earnings dropped 73%, second-biggest for a superhero movie since Shaquille O'Neal's Steel. IMHO Sony keeps making the same mistake with its Spider-properties as Warner did with DC: because superhero movies are hot, they think what people want is a whole bunch of superhero-ish action and imagery thrown on screen. Marvel Studios succeeded because they try to make the best movies they can first. Superheroes aren't the meat, they're only the sauce.

12 hours ago, Jhamin said:

Well, I don't know about best ever.  I'm 2 episodes in, which makes me current at the moment.

It's... fine.  They are playing up the mystery and surreal perspectives so its pretty atmospheric but we still haven't really seen what Moon Knight can do.  I'm enjoying the multiple-personality stuff but it feels like that will only sustain the story for so long.  On the up side, by about 2/3 the way through episode 2 they are starting to move away from that as the central aspect of the story. 

I'm willing to give it more time.  I remember liking WandaVision but feeling like the "trapped in TVland" thing wasn't going to hold them for the whole series... right before the episode dropped that veered things in a new direction, so I'm willing to be surprised.

The political thing you may have heard about the show is how it is getting review-bombed online... which is kind of weird.  At one point in episode 1, Oscar Isaac's character and Ethen Hawkes' are discussing human atrocities during a motive speech and Oscar Isaac's character mentions the Armenian Genocide which according to Turkey was just a really big deportation and the whole Genocide thing is all a whole lie perpetuated by.. pretty much everyone else.. to smear the good names of their ancestors.

It is like one line of dialogue that lists it as an example of terrible things people do.. but it has been getting Moon Knight a lot of flack online.

Turkish nationalists Really don't like the G-word. The first rule of genocide club is Don't talk about Genocide.

Huh. I'm enjoying Moon Knight a lot more than I thought I would, myself. Mind you, they may drop the ball for me later in the series like Falcon & Winter Soldier did in some key parts, but the weirdness has been engaging and Steven's recent access to the power is a nice touch. Khonshu's a bit of a jerk, but he was in many comics too. 

Moon Knight ep 3:

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ "Would you like to swing all the stars?" ♬ ♫ ♩ ♪

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ "Rewind the night for your avatars?"♬ ♫ ♩ ♪

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ "Would you like to swing all the stars?" ♬ ♫ ♩ ♪

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ "Or would you rather be a ghoul?" ♬ ♫ ♩ ♪

19 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Thor is like 2000 years old, this idea that he has to keep doing deep soul searching and reacting despondently to challenges is... absurd.

Well, he screwed up and half the living beings of the universe disappeared for five years because he didn't cut off Thanos's arm. His dad, brother, and sister died. Asgard was destroyed with his assistance. Most of the Asgardians who survived the destruction of Asgard died on the rescue boat that he was captaining.

For all we know, a 5000 year old being goes through the stages of grief very slowly. In any case, even though he's 2000 years old, what he's gone through is still unprecedented in his lifetime.

I mean, look at an adult human who's gone through 40% of his lifespan: he participates in the annihilation of the Earth, has his family die, tries to rescue a few people from Earth but they mostly all die on the rescue boat he's captaining. So how many years would he be going to therapy to get over that? ;) 

That's not how I would have written Thor but it's an understandable(though not entertaining) reaction on the "My-Life-Is-Crap-O-Meter".