Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

39 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Yeah, but for that to matter someone in Hollywood would have had to read, and understand, actual comic books.  An obvious impossibility.

Most of the people behind Marvel Studios did just that, so obviously not impossible. Even Sir Kenneth Branagh read Thor comics as a kid.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

You know, we often talk about "untried, untested" concepts being introduced by Marvel Studios... but that's really not accurate.

It is accurate in the sense that when we say that, we are referring to the fact that the "untried, untested" characters in question aren't very well known to the general public whose positive reception is vital to the ongoing success of the MCU. Comic diehards all knew who Ant Man was, but the general public did not, and their luke warm reception of the character has put both movies at the bottom of the MCU earning ladder (when adjusted for inflation). Being well established in the comics does not make a character "tried and tested" from a Hollywood movie (business) perspective.

36 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

The bottom of the MCU earning ladder is where most films would kill to be.

Most films aren't MCU films; the standards for those are different. For Disney, an MCU movie that doesn't hit the $200M mark is almost regarded as a flop.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

Most films aren't MCU films; the standards for those are different. For Disney, an MCU movie that doesn't hit the $200M mark is almost regarded as a flop.

Well, Ant-Man and the Wasp made $622 million worldwide ($216 million domestically). Certainly low rung for a recent MCU movie; still very profitable by any reasonable standard. Try comparing that to the B.O. for the Mission Impossible series -- you think those cost less to make than Ant-Man?

On 1/8/2019 at 1:07 PM, unclevlad said:

Hmm.

So Marvel Phase 3 is about to close with the Ultimate RetCon in Infinity War Deux.

I wonder if Captain Marvel means Phase 4 may be one of their most massive storylines...the Kree/Skrull Wars.  Y'all are way more wired into this than I am...thoughts?  Rumors?

It has been hinted by a producer that Secret Invasion is being set up in Captain Marvel. 

Ugh. 

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Well, Ant-Man and the Wasp made ... $216 million domestically. Certainly low rung for a recent MCU movie; still very profitable by any reasonable standard. 

Yeah, I was referring to domestic box office. Disney does not measure success by "reasonable standards", or what we might call normal standards for other studios. An MCU movie that barely limps past the $200M (domestic) threshold is the kind of thing that leads to very uncomfortable meetings at Buena Vista Street.

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

It has been hinted by a producer that Secret Invasion is being set up in Captain Marvel. 

That has been the prevailing (fan) theory for almost a year (maybe longer?) now. Producer's hint isn't really confirming anything most fans don't already think they know.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

Yeah, I was referring to domestic box office. Disney does not measure success by "reasonable standards", or what we might call normal standards for other studios. An MCU movie that barely limps past the $200M (domestic) threshold is the kind of thing that leads to very uncomfortable meetings at Buena Vista Street.

Domestic box-office isn't nearly the gold standard for American movies that it used to be. Foreign box-office today often amounts to a much bigger slice of the pie. Take the recent Aquaman, currently raking it in to the tune of $963 million. Of that only $266 million, or about 28%, is domestic. Infinity War's take of $2 billion was 33% domestic.

Studios look at the total earnings, and only consider where that money comes from when planning strategic marketing.

42 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Studios look at the total earnings, and only consider where that money comes from when planning strategic marketing.

Actually, not completely true. At best that is an oversimplification.

American studios, and Disney especially, still regard the American audience/box office as the single most important, even if it doesn't represent the largest source of revenue. It may not make much sense--just like the inexplicable influence of RT scores on studio decision making--but that's the way it is (at the moment).

23 minutes ago, Doc Shadow said:

Excuse me, I don't wish to be rude but you're making an awful lot of pronouncements as though they are the "WORD OF GOD" and above questioning. 

So I kind of have to ask: who the hell are you, and why should I believe one thing you're saying?  :think:

Mostly because I've worked in Hollywood for the past 15 years and am pretty well informed by those who have an even broader and deeper view into it than I do. I don't trot out my so-called "credentials" every time I post about this industry because I normally don't have to. Events usually transpire to prove the validity/veracity of most of what I say, making it unnecessary.

Conversely, distribution in China is clearly becoming a high priority.  Consider Pacific Rim Uprising or The Great Wall, or The Meg, where Chinese audiences were clearly targeted.  These were not resounding successes, but the intent is clear.

Note also that Hollywood gets a much smaller percentage of each theater dollar in China than it does in the US.