Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly not an imbecile, but definitely delusional. He does have a strong social conscience, but doesn't perceive the universe in a normal way, so I'd say "psychopath" is closer than "sociopath."

Now me, I want that  "Infi-knity Gauntlet" created by "Granos."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/a9kd5s/my_boyfriends_grandmother_is_pretty_talented_aye/?utm_content=media&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=3d019a8c7ff3421481871fe6a73ceb19&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=a9kd5s

s56npyws2j621.jpg

"Imbecile" refers to lack of intelligence. All of Thanos's other actions and interactions with other characters display his exceptional intellect and cunning. "Delusion" is an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument. Thanos has been living his conviction that his plan is the right one for so long, he's incapable of seeing its flaws despite his intelligence. In that he's like a great many real people.

His plan, despite the incredible odds against it, actually did work. It won't have the end result he assumes, but he did exactly what he set out to do.

That may be so, but Thanos is also plainly sadistic. He relishes causing pain and suffering. He mistakes torture for parental love. That and his obsessive messianic grandiosity would seem to push him into the psychopath category. It's debatable whether his "utilitarianism" led to the growth of his personality disorder, or is at root a rationalization of it.

Except that in the first Thor movie, Loki made the Destroyer try to kill Thor. Had Mjolnir not restored his godhood, 
Thor would have died. Loki also tried to use the Bifrost to wipe out all of Jotunheim. That was before Loki had any contact with Thanos or the Mind Stone.

They can call it what they want. I call Retcon.

I think part of the impetus may be the legions of fans of Tom Hiddleston's Loki, who adore the character and don't want him to be portrayed as a monster.

To me the essence of Loki was conveyed when he, Thor and Odin stood together to battle Surtur at the climax of the "Sword of Doom" story line in Thor's comic:

Odin: "FOR ASGARD!"

Thor: "FOR MIDGARD!"

Loki: "FOR MYSELF!"