Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

12 hours ago, zslane said:

That's a real shame. Both Luke Cage and Iron Fist improved substantially in their second seasons, and now we won't get to see that improvement carry over into a third, potentially stellar season. Has Jessica Jones been renewed for a third season? I feel like its second season was a real disappointment after the amazing first season it had, and if anything it was the one show (of the four) that was going to have to put in the most effort to pull out of its creative nose-dive. If Punisher doesn't deliver an impressive second season, I suspect that it too will get axed before it gets a third.

Maybe they'll do a Power Man & Iron Fist show.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, megaplayboy said:

Maybe they'll do a Power Man & Iron Fist show.

Looks like Netflix Marvel days are over. If they do one on the new Disney streaming service -- or even if they do a Daughters of the Dragon -- then I'm going to have to pass. I only have so much budget for streaming services. I guess people like Disney and CBS don't realize that part of the appeal of Netflix, Hulu and even Prime is that people can save over their cable bills by using them. Adding more services to get the same amount of content isn't helping.

6 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Looks like Netflix Marvel days are over. If they do one on the new Disney streaming service -- or even if they do a Daughters of the Dragon -- then I'm going to have to pass. I only have so much budget for streaming services. I guess people like Disney and CBS don't realize that part of the appeal of Netflix, Hulu and even Prime is that people can save over their cable bills by using them. Adding more services to get the same amount of content isn't helping.

Well, DC is pulling the same thing with their streaming service.  I can only add 8-10 bucks to my monthly bill so many times before I draw the line.  I have NF, Hulu, Prime and Sling(and the CW, which is free), and that's enough.

10 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I only have so much budget for streaming services. I guess people like Disney and CBS don't realize that part of the appeal of Netflix, Hulu and even Prime is that people can save over their cable bills by using them. Adding more services to get the same amount of content isn't helping.

So. Much. This.

I feel exactly the same way. I can't help but wonder if there isn't a reckoning somewhere on the horizon for all the studios who want us to separately subscribe to their streaming services in a craven attempt to grab as much of the digital entertainment pie as they can, without regard to the hard reality that splintering the marketplace into a thousand tiny pieces rather than being part of an ecosystem that flows through aggregators like Netflix will likely end in failure.

I guess people like Disney and CBS don't realize that part of the appeal of Netflix, Hulu and even Prime is that people can save over their cable bills by using them. Adding more services to get the same amount of content isn't helping.

Yeah there is only a certain number of these services which are viable.  We have Netflix, and added prime only because the free shipping and priority on some items bought on Amazon.  Can't afford and don't want to pay for any more.

Just finished Season 3 of Daredevil.

If worse does come to worse and this is the last season*, then I'm going to have to say the three fit together really well as a body of work. Not exactly a trilogy, but they do achieve a nice character arc for Matt. The fight scenes were again very well choreographed, and without spoilering anything, really matched well with the styles of their comic counterparts. 

* I did read an article that quoted the head of Netflix as saying that only Netflix has the power to cancel the Marvel/Netflix shows, so the other two weren't Disney-influenced. It does leave me wondering if they can make new series with the existing character licenses or not (i.e., Daughters of the Dragon or Heroes for Hire). I don't think they're going to get any more shows, given the impending Disney service.

The cancellation of Luke Cage and Iron Fist was a kind of shot across Disney's bow, letting them know that Netflix has no intention of doing anything that helps Disney make more money. Punisher season 2 has wrapped shooting and Jessica Jones season 3 is shooting now. Once those are done and aired, expect to hear Netflix announce the cancellation of all the remaining Marvel shows, including Daredevil.

54 minutes ago, zslane said:

The cancellation of Luke Cage and Iron Fist was a kind of shot across Disney's bow, letting them know that Netflix has no intention of doing anything that helps Disney make more money. Punisher season 2 has wrapped shooting and Jessica Jones season 3 is shooting now. Once those are done and aired, expect to hear Netflix announce the cancellation of all the remaining Marvel shows, including Daredevil.

The essential problem is that Disney's likely going to pull most of its content from NF after 2019.  If each major gets the same idea, it would create a huge headache for consumers, who might be looking at having to pay for 10-15 different streaming services to get what they get now from just 3(NF, Hulu, Prime).  Additionally it pressures those services to create more original content in order to retain customers and stay competitive. 

There's only so much pie to go around.

8 minutes ago, megaplayboy said:

The essential problem is that Disney's likely going to pull most of its content from NF after 2019.

Actually, Disney has already told Netflix that they are pulling all their content at the end of this year, 2018. That was the first salvo in this war (and it was fired many months ago). Netflix has been slow to respond, but now we are seeing the shape of that response.

On 10/21/2018 at 1:40 AM, megaplayboy said:

Well, DC is pulling the same thing with their streaming service.

DC is expecting to launch a pay service with the likes of their CW Network superhero shows and reruns of the Zack Snyder DCAU movies? What's the business model, pay them a monthly protection fee or they'll pirate broadcast their IP over media that we're actually interested in watching?

21 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

DC is expecting to launch a pay service with the likes of their CW Network superhero shows and reruns of the Zack Snyder DCAU movies? What's the business model, pay them a monthly protection fee or they'll pirate broadcast their IP over media that we're actually interested in watching?

DC Universe streaming service launched on September 15, 2018.

It will be interesting to see how it fits into AT&T's plans for a future streaming service that combines HBO, DC, and WB in one place. For that matter, it will be interesting to see how much AT&T's plans damage the HBO brand.

Well since Star Trek Discovery as it is, did not attract enough American's to the  CBS All  Access Channel. They retooled it (See Patrick Stewart rejoins Star Trek.). As to Netflix, I believe they are going to slowly lose all Disney Content from their platform as Disney forms their streaming service, consisting of Disney Classics, Star Wars, and Marvel properties.  Netflix showed the way, and those who understand the model are  copying them. CBS did not understand the model. No one wants to stream much Antique, Standard Def, Broadcast Television, especially since it was free on it's first run, and subsequent re-runs for decades. The Audience wants, new, shiny, edgy, well written tales from a singular viewpoint, and expensive. This is why I think Apples Streaming Service will not work well, except for parents with kids, because the head of Apple specifically stated that he does not want edgey, adult content on Apple's platform. He basically is re-creating the BS&P, but on a streaming service. I am sorry to see Luke Cage not get it's third season, but it was good while it lasted.