Welcome to Hero Forum - Please Introduce yourself (especially Lurkers)

bluesguy

Good day.

Grognard, 55, played everything.

British, academic. Gardener, photographer.

First game played: Classic Traveller at the age of 15.

First game run: B/X D&D.

Currently playing 5E D&D Strahd, PF2, Coriolis, Symbaroum, T&T Solos.

Running 5E D&D in Dolmenwood, Qin in Warring States China.

Planning: Space 1889 Ubiquity, Blue Rose AGE, Numenera, Traveller Trojan Reaches (Mongoose 2).

Played Fantasy Hero for a summer when I was 20.. and always remembered it fondly, and recently bought the first 2 6e core rulebooks.

Edited by Satbunny

• 3 months later...

Greetings all.

I’ve been playing RPGs since 1982. Boot Hill 2e to be exact

I’ve played everything from Rifts, Aftermath!, Boot Hill, Top Secret, Traveller, Rolemaster and a bunch of others back in the day, but have stuck with Hero since the 4e Big Blue Book

I’m a big fan of Champions Complete, which I think is the best Supers game available today (Thanks Derek Heimforth!)

Play more, do more. Love Hero Games!

Ah, there is an Introduction page. Useful. Was wondering if there was one!

Greetings! I've been playing Tabletops since, oh, right around 2004. Puts me as a newcomer to most compared here! Experiences have been mixed between systems, but I've played D&D 3.5, 4, and 5. Shadowrun 4e and 6e. Old World of Darkness, mundane, and New World of Darkness Mundane and Demon. 

Hero was a system I looked into not because I was interested at first, but because I heard of it's granularity, where it breaks everything down very well. If nothing else, it would give me an understanding of some of the the other systems out there! And lo, it does. Very well. Enough so that I, someone who has never picked up a comic in my life, nor have I camped out or waited with baited breath for the latest blockbuster hero movie, nor with an experience in the camp of the past, wanted to figure out how to play, and find people to share that with. 

It should be known, I am new to this genera! Both the concepts, and tropes, and systems, and so on. Until about two weeks ago, I didn't know this system existed. I am... excited for it though. It feels like I'm sifting through the dregs and sands at the end of an hourglass, but that does not mean there are not people there. Heck, despite my comparative youth, I am more than familiar with this from the old telnet clients for communications that hold a near and dear place to me.

In short, hello! I may ask stupid questions. I am more likely than not, not being sarcastic. Apologies! May the day find you well.

On 10/15/2015 at 10:16 AM, bluesguy said:

It was suggested that maybe we create a thread for new people who are posting and especially for lurkers.

So here is what I would like to suggest everyone post as an introduction:

• How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?
  • What was the first tabletop RPG you played?
  • What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?
  • What are you currently playing/GMing?

I hope this thread gets pinned.

The Lord Captain Thia Halmades is a signature character I created for my fantasy setting; I liked the name and kept it. Someday, I’ll change it, but then how would anyone recognize me?

My first table top was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D/2nd Edition) at the tender age of “I’m too young to fully understand what’s going on,” but old enough to “not eat the dice.” AD&D was also the first game I ever successfully ran at summer camp. Even then, when I’m supposed to be getting exercise and meet girls, what did I bring? D&D books.

I am currently in a 5th Ed D&D game, and loving it. Should I get a chance to run HERO again, it will be my Persona setting.

Pinning of threads is outside of my skill set, and I do not get a roll.

15 hours ago, Sveta8 said:

In short, hello! I may ask stupid questions. I am more likely than not, not being sarcastic. Apologies! May the day find you well.

Any question asked in good faith with an open mind to hear the answer is not stupid. Note, I did not say there are no stupid questions; I’’m saying that you’re most assuredly not going to ask one. HERO is hard to break through, it’s alphabet soup with a dozen lightsaber builds and rabbit hole arguments as to why “everything is a transform” (it’s not) lurking around every corner. Have no fear, we’ll help you navigate those waters. 

Welcome. 

I am a long time lurker here.

The first RPG that I played was D&D 2e.

I played Champions and Rolemaster a little bit in high school (early 80's) but spent a lot of time in high school as GM for Aftermath!  (I have heard a lot people express concern about the learning curve in Champions but after Aftermath! it's a breeze.  Our little group had a lot of fun with Aftermath! and in some ways is very similar to Hero System.)  I played a bit of Palladium on a university work term while living with a friend of mine who was the GM.

I picked up some 4e books in the early 90's but I was moving around a lot at the time and never played...

In the last year or so I picked up a bunch of used Hero System books from eBay.  There are some great deals out there if you are patient.

Recently I have been playing Champions by email and it has been great.

Regarding my handle, it describes me pretty accurately....

Hi all, I started playing Hero about two years ago, I've been here reading, taking taking inspiration and learning how you lead the game, so thanks. 

How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?

It is the mangling of a name from Baldur's Gate

What was the first tabletop RPG you played?

D&D in '92-93

What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?

D&D 3.5 many years ago but I didn't GMed often

What are you currently playing/GMing?

I'm GMing a Champions game it's about two years and I hope I'm               going to play soon

I arrived to Hero after becoming bored of the d20, so I searched for a game I could like and enjoy, I first found GURPS but after learning the basics and running a short game, I understood I didn't like it, and then finally I found Hero. I'm a big fan of this system, it's so good and grants so much freedom. 

• 4 months later...

I know this is a dead thread but I like beating a dead Corpse :P

The name Strand is a favorite Champions  New Millennium Character. I saw a picture of Batman with the strands of his cape spreading outward and that was where I got the idea for the character. The character was a Martial Artist that the GM said I could use those Strands in the Martial Arts. The GM has always been forgiving and fun.

First game was OD&D. It was back in the early 80's I would say around 1982.

AD&D 2nd Ed. Probably my 1st and last time.  A dungeon with puzzles. I am horrible with them so I made a dungeon with them. Simple ones. It couldn't be bad, right?  Right?  They just stared at me blankly when I read off the the puzzle. [sigh]  First DM, last DM.

I am in a 5E D&D game based on Iron Kingdom. So we get access to WW1 era guns and Steam Jacks. We are at 14th level working our way to 20th.

On 10/15/2015 at 9:16 AM, bluesguy said:

It was suggested that maybe we create a thread for new people who are posting and especially for lurkers.

So here is what I would like to suggest everyone post as an introduction:

I hope this thread gets pinned.

I've been on the forum for years, and just now found this intro thread.  Eh...might as well answer it.

• Handle/forum name:  I am a huge fan of Final Fantasy 7, and Barret is my favorite character.  "Barretwallace" is also cooler than "ercarlson1974," my original handle.
  • First tabletop RPG as a player:  Basic D&D, late 1980s
  • First tabletop RPG as a GM:  West End Star wars, early-mid 1990s
  • Current games:  No RPGs, sadly, but am doing a play-by-email game of 18OE.  I'm also playing a few computer games including Civilization IV.

Hello!  Been lurking for a while now because I really haven't been playing Hero System games for several years.  I'm a 4th Edition diehard, but my circle of friends willing to deal with this system's crunch has shrunk to the point where nobody who's left wants to do it anymore.  :(  I've been keeping busy during the pandemic by writing and releasing my own superhero rules system and a city setting supplement for it - specifically for those who have problems with the math these days (which is a lot, actually).

1) My handle comes from one of my favorite songs by Red Rider.

2) The very first TTRPG I played was the red box set of D&D, though I quickly graduated to AD&D.  (I'd been playing wargames for a few years before that.)

3) The first I ever GM'd has slipped my memory, but it's likely that it was AD&D.

4) Currently, I'm running my own game, the XD12 Superhero System, on the Babies with Knives Discord Channel on Thursday afternoons from 1500 to 1700 Central Time (US).  I'm also playing in an ICONS: Assembled Edition game with pretty much the same people that are in my group for XD12 on Friday afternoons in the same timeframe.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:10 PM, bluesguy said:

@BarretWallace- Where in Minnesota?  I am in St. Paul MN.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:46 PM, Jeffrywith1e said:

Where in St Paul? I'm in Oakdale!

On 1/27/2021 at 7:54 PM, BadTodd said:

Inver Grove Heights/West St Paul here!

Hey, awesome to have Minnesotans on the board!  I'm in Oakdale, not terribly far from the former Carmike Cinema.

I have drifted somewhat away from Hero System in general, as my current circle of gamer friends favors D&D 5E, FFG Star Wars, and board games.  I still have fond memories of Hero though, and maybe some day can join a regular crew again.

@bluesguy Hey David!!   It's been awhile!  Hope you and the family are still doing well!!

9 hours ago, BarretWallace said:

Hey, awesome to have Minnesotans on the board!  I'm in Oakdale, not terribly far from the former Carmike Cinema.

I have drifted somewhat away from Hero System in general, as my current circle of gamer friends favors D&D 5E, FFG Star Wars, and board games.  I still have fond memories of Hero though, and maybe some day can join a regular crew again.

I know what you mean - it is hard to find other Hero Systems players in Minnesota.  I mostly play D&D 5e, with a little bit of Pathfinder 2e, because that is what everyone else plays.  I love me some superhero gaming though! 

13 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I have a question for the assembled Minnesotans:

How rude is it considered to be if you accidentally says "oops" when you should "ope," or vice-versa?

😃I live in MN but I am not a Minnesotan 😉

Having come from the Southwestern part of the USA, I have an understanding about what ¡Olé! means and what Ole (Danish male name mean).  Confuses me sometimes...

How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?
It's the name of one of the first superhero characters I came up with. Somehow I've never played a version in an actual Champions game, but I've played variations in City of Heroes and Champions Online

What was the first tabletop RPG you played? 
AD&D, in my freshman year of highschool.

What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?
AD&D, in college. 

What are you currently playing/GMing?
Sadly, nothing currently. I've mostly just played Hero stuff (and variants) since the early nineties. I've mostly GMed the past twenty years or so.

Campaigns I've run:
The Knack: A group of people with "Knacks" (minor supernormal or paranormal abilities) are on the run from a billionaire who wants to explout them.
Needle: A not particularly successful game set in the world of "The Peace War" by Vernor Vinge. The only game I ever ran that was based on a world not of my own creation, and it showed.
The Void: Same world as the Knack, but a physics experiment gone wrong unleashes full-fledged superpowers on the world. Some of the same characters, as the Void.
Arcane Invasion: The USA is invaded by an evil wizard and his armies from a D&D like world. 
Gale Force: Same world as the Void, but things have gotten weirder, and now there are frequent incursions from other universes. Gale Force is Chicago's local response team. 
Arcane America: Set in a USA where the Arcane Invasion happened right after WWII, instead of in the 2000s. The PCs are a private security/investigations firm.
Ejecta: There are weird objects that defy the laws of physics (and logic, for that matter). The PCs get caught up in a plot around them.

Other:
I used to co-sysop the Red October BBS occasionally back in the day.
Even though I don't post a lot, I'm one of the earliest members of these forums, having come over from previous Hero forums shortly after this site's creation.

4 hours ago, Dr.Device said:

The Knack: A group of people with "Knacks" (minor supernormal or paranormal abilities) are on the run from a billionaire who wants to explout them.
Needle: A not particularly successful game set in the world of "The Peace War" by Vernor Vinge. The only game I ever ran that was based on a world not of my own creation, and it showed.
The Void: Same world as the Knack, but a physics experiment gone wrong unleashes full-fledged superpowers on the world. Some of the same characters, as the Void.
Arcane Invasion: The USA is invaded by an evil wizard and his armies from a D&D like world. 
Gale Force: Same world as the Void, but things have gotten weirder, and now there are frequent incursions from other universes. Gale Force is Chicago's local response team. 
Arcane America: Set in a USA where the Arcane Invasion happened right after WWII, instead of in the 2000s. The PCs are a private security/investigations firm.
Ejecta: There are weird objects that defy the laws of physics (and logic, for that matter). The PCs get caught up in a plot around them.

I like all of these campaigns and wish I could have played in them!

On 1/29/2021 at 5:55 PM, Duke Bushido said:

I have a question for the assembled Minnesotans:

How rude is it considered to be if you accidentally says "oops" when you should "ope," or vice-versa?

Eh...that doesn't bother me so much as saying "yes" instead of "ooooooooohhhh yaaaaaaaaa."  😁