Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Well, we know our president is on Russia's side. And now we know which side the Republican House is on:

House Republicans are seeking to defund the U.S. Election Assistance Commission, the sole federal agency that exclusively works to ensure the voting process is secure, as part of proposed federal budget cuts.

Well, we know our president is on Russia's side. And now we know which side the Republican House is on:

We've known that since at least May.

“No leaks, all right?” Ryan says to his fellow Republicans in the recording. “This is how we know we’re a real family here … What’s said in the family stays in the family.”

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/19/politics/dean-heller-trump/index.html

Wow, that's an impressive lack of awareness right there.

Edit: Realized it might not be apparent from the link - Trump threatened Senator Heller on the Healthcare issue and made a broad similar threat to other GOP Senators. Yikes.

Everywhere I see President Trump in his current job, whether in domestic politics or international diplomacy, his words and actions tell me that he's out of his depth. He simply does not understand the game he's trying to play.

Everywhere I see President Trump in his current job, whether in domestic politics or international diplomacy, his words and actions tell me that he's out of his depth. He simply does not understand the game he's trying to play.

Agree 100%. What is the outcome he's attempting to achieve? Alienate a Senator who's got no incentive to support him?

I believe this phenomenon was called The Peter Principle, back in the day.

But he's determined to win it - and he can't be ejected from the game for challenging every single call a ref makes so he'll keep on doing so.

He only really cares about his supporters (in so much as he cares about anyone) - that's why he's still acting like he's on the campaign trail: he doesn't care about the presidency - he only cares about being (re)elected to it.  This has been obvious the entire time and yet here we are.

As to the "abortion murders" the sample size is really small, and with only 10 incidents in 20+ years I cannot think of a single statistical test that could turn such low magnitude data into anything.  Though if you do know of such a test, I'll calculate it.

The first published Poisson test (1898), on the randomness of soldier deaths due to horse kicks in the Prussian army, suggests that this test could be run on this dataset to check the probability that murders of abortion clinic personnel really are randomly distributed over time. I have done Poisson tests on other datasets for the exact same reason (seeing if rare events were occuring in a way consistent with a truly uniform probability over time). My experience leads me to suspect that the uniform rate hypothesis will be rejected at a healthy confidence.

John McCain Diagnosed With Brain Cancer

No word yet on whether this ends his career in the Senate.

I don't especially like McCain's politics, but nobody deserves this. The downside is that Arizona is a decidedly Red State, and whoever they inevitably elect to replace him will be a dyed-in-the-wool tea Party loyalist.

If I think too much on it, I'm left with the impression that the political class and media are trying to play chess and Trump is playing Calvinball...

If I think too much on it, I'm left with the impression that the political class and media are trying to play chess and Trump is playing Calvinball...

Not to give any credit to Trump, but the poltical class and media definitely aint playing chess.

I see the media and Trump trying to make Dumb and Dumber a trilogy.

That would be require huge and sustained demand from We The People, because we'd have to amend the Constitution. But there are things we can do state-by-state that are legal under the constitution, such as instant runoff voting and proportional representation. FairVote.org is working toward both, and I'm thinking of contributing.

Does anyone else think the U.S. needs to get rid of the electoral college and go to a straight majority vote?

Or at least reform the Electoral College so that it reflects the will of the voters rather than distorts it.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Party