Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

I'm not the smartest guy, but who should I believe in this context: A thousand trained guys who have been doing their job successfully for years, or a monkey in a suit? I think nuking a cane should be done just to see what happens for science

CES

38 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

I'm not the smartest guy, but who should I believe in this context: A thousand trained guys who have been doing their job successfully for years, or a monkey in a suit? I think nuking a cane should be done just to see what happens for science

CES

If Dorian had hit Mar-a-Lago directly, that would have been the perfect opportunity to test that hypothesis.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:27 AM, ScottishFox said:

I'd love to see the checklist on that.  I'm no fan of the NRA, but terrorist group - as though they were on par with Isis - seems really out of bounds.

Even with more recent Antifa vs. Proud Boy dust ups you don't typically see bands of roving NRA members shooting people.

No problem

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2331

18 U.S. Code § 2331. Definitions

As used in this chapter—

(1) the term “international terrorism” means activities that—

(A) involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State, or that would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States or of any State;

(B) appear to be intended—
(i)to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii)to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii)to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and

(C) occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the United States, or transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate or coerce, or the locale in which their perpetrators operate or seek asylum;

(2)the term “national of the United States” has the meaning given such term in section 101(a)(22) of the Immigration and Nationality Act;

(3) the term “person” means any individual or entity capable of holding a legal or beneficial interest in property;

(4) the term “act of war” means any act occurring in the course of—

(A) declared war;

(B) armed conflict, whether or not war has been declared, between two or more nations; or

(C) armed conflict between military forces of any origin;

(5) the term “domestic terrorism” means activities that—

(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;

(B) appear to be intended—

(i)to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and

(C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States; and

(6) the term “military force” does not include any person that—
(A) has been designated as a—
(i)foreign terrorist organization by the Secretary of State under section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1189); or
(ii) specially designated global terrorist (as such term is defined in section 594.310 of title 31, Code of Federal Regulations) by the Secretary of State or the Secretary of the Treasury; or
(B)has been determined by the court to not be a “military force”.

[/quote]

That's the legal definition of domestic terrorism.

If the NRA commits acts which are dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the US and those acts coerce and intimidate the civilian population, coerce and intimidate the government, and/or affects the conduct of the government by mass destruction, assassination and/or kidnapping, and those acts happen within the territorial jurisdiction of the US, then the NRA can be correctly identified as a terrorist organization as defined by US law.

The question is...has the NRA done that?

Judging from the lack of headlines about the NRA being convicted of such crimes, I would conclude the answer is "no".

9 hours ago, Pariah said:

If I read one more conspiracy theorist nutjob on social media claiming that the September 11th attacks were perpetrated by the United States government, I swear I’m gonna reach through my mobile device and throttle the stupid son of a whore.

I have to agree on this. I have a 911 guy I work with and he was quiet yesterday. Seriously if you actually read the report for this, it basically debunks everything about this. One of the others is a part time teacher and she had to inform him they haven't put mercury in vaccines since the 50s

CES 

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

If I read one more conspiracy theorist nutjob on social media claiming that the September 11th attacks were perpetrated by the United States government, I swear I’m gonna reach through my mobile device and throttle the stupid son of a whore.

I'm continuously amazed that such people will simultaneously acknowledge that our government is full of incompetent morons, many of whom keep getting caught with their pants down (often literally), while also believing that said incompetent morons are somehow capable of putting together and maintaining an intricate, hush-hush conspiracy.

I'd do a facepalm that would be heard around the globe, if the Earth wasn't actually flat.  ;)

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Propaganda 101: If you tell people a flat-out lie which matches how they already think, they're probably going to believe you and not accept contrary evidence.

And the bigger and more obvious the lie, the harder they will work to defend it. One of Hitler's maxims, that.

De3an Shomshak

On 9/11/2019 at 3:34 PM, Pariah said:

Solemn reminder for 9/11: The current generation of high-schoolers has never seen our country not at war.

To be fair, the US has been at war* for over 220 of the years its been in existence, so neither has virtually anybody else.

*Depending on how one defines 'war'.  If you want to be technical, the US has declared war five times against 11 different nations:  War of 1812, Mexican-American War, Spanish-American War, World War I, and World War II.  Obviously, many 'informal wars' have been fought, such as Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq; calling something a 'war' seems to be a way to get support for it, over 'police action' or 'invasion'.

A raging force of destruction is maybe not the best analogy to use in this circumstance. And a Prime Minister willing to publicly ignore the lawful decisions of his country's legislature sets a dangerous precedent.

But it does say something when the premier governing official of a major country compares himself to a comic-book character. Geek culture is emphatically mainstream. 😎

30 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

And a Prime Minister willing to publicly ignore the lawful decisions of his country's legislature sets a dangerous precedent.

Since this is the same legislature that is ignoring the lawful results of the Brexit vote there's no moral high ground to be had.

Also, I don't like that guy and he is most definitely NOT like the hulk.

To be clear, the referendum to leave the European Union was not legally binding.

If you want to consider the moral validity of slim majorities involving a fraction of the eligible electorate, well, there's the last American presidential election.

FWIW I don't like Boris Johnson either. But the Hulk does sometimes wear the same hairstyle. 😛