Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

18 minutes ago, Pariah said:

And its staff taken hostage.  There may also be some incidental damage to containment structures.

One wonders what is the point of seizing a radioactively contaminated site.  Although threatening to re-detonate it and spray radioactive materials everywhere would be in line with Putin's apparent fixation with becoming the ultimate Bond villain.

56 minutes ago, Old Man said:

And its staff taken hostage.  There may also be some incidental damage to containment structures.

One wonders what is the point of seizing a radioactively contaminated site.  Although threatening to re-detonate it and spray radioactive materials everywhere would be in line with Putin's apparent fixation with becoming the ultimate Bond villain.

Must be the place Ukraine is using to make all the nuclear weapons, Putin said Ukraine is making nuclear weapons. That is why he had to attack Ukraine. roll eyes.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Even though the plant is now decommissioned, it may still control part of Ukraine's power grid.

well, there's already a COVID exemption in the Covid thread. I'm tempted to allow a Ukrainian exception in this one if Dan agrees.

These people, the Ukrainians who are trying to hold on, are amazing. Their backs are to the wall and they have the 13 refuse to surrender though it cost them their lives. they have a woman like this...

Apparently an encounter on video between a Ukrainian woman and a Russian soldier has been recorded and translated:
WOMAN: Who are you?
SOLDIER: We have exercises here. Please go this way.
WOMAN: What kind of exercises? Are you Russian?
SOLDIER: Yes.
WOMAN: So what the f--k are you doing here?
SOLDIER: Right now, our discussion will lead to nothing.
WOMAN: You're occupants, you're fascists! What the f--k are you doing on our land with all these guns? Take these seeds and put them in your pockets, so at least sunflowers [Ukranian national flower] will grow when you all lie down here.
SOLDIER: Right now, our discussion will lead nowhere. Let's not escalate this situation. Please.
WOMAN: What situation? Guys, guys. Put the sunflower seeds in your pockets, please. You will lie down here with the seeds. You came to my land. Do you understand? You are occupiers. You are enemies.
SOLDIER: Yes.
WOMAN: And from this moment, you are cursed. I'm telling you.
SOLDIER: Now listen to me
WOMAN: I've heard you.
SOLDIER: Let's not escalate the situation. Please go this way.
WOMAN: How can it be further escalated? You f--king came here uninvited. Pieces of shit.

I mean, she could get shot... but what spine!

5 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

On another forum I'm on, posters are engaging in Both Siderism about Ukraine -- which is dangerously close to me losing my cherub-like demeanor over there...

I don't blame you. Folks saying the West has been ENROACHING so Ukraine deserves to be seized are like some weird version of...

"Sure, the guy is beating his wife, but in his defense, she started to get out of beating range!"

It's sick.

5 minutes ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

I've seen the video. The Russian soldier was savvy enough to realize that, "Russian Invader Murders Older Woman For Yelling At Him" wasn't a good look.

Him being in Ukraine isn't looking good either. Though I don't blame him so much as I blame Putin

This unpleasant thought struck me earlier: After Ukraine, then where?

To say that there's no love lost between Russia and Finland is a massive understatement. Russia has occupied Finland before, so similar "It's historically a part of Russia" bull***t arguments could probably be made. And while Finland is a member of the EU, is is not a member of NATO.

Do we need to be worried about Finland?